Saturday, June 28, 2014

Mine by Katy Evans (Review)

Mine (Real, #2)
Genre:
New Adult, Romance
Publication.Date  November 5th, 2013
Pages:336
Published By:  Gallery Books
WebsiteKaty Evans

Mine on Goodreads
My review copy:Bought

Where to get:



He's mine, and I'm his. Our love is all-consuming, powerful,
imperfect, and real...


In the international bestseller REAL, the unstoppable bad boy of the Underground fighting circuit finally met his match. Hired to keep him in prime condition, Brooke Dumas unleashed a primal desire in Remington "Riptide" Tate as vital as the air he breathes... and now he can't live without her.

Brooke never imagined she would end up with the man who is every woman's dream, but not all dreams end happily ever after, and just when they need each other the most, she is torn away from his side. Now with distance and darkness between them, the only thing left is to fight for the love of the man she calls MINE.

(Goodreads)


"That's right, ladies and gentleman! He's our favorite bad boy with that infamous smile and those deadly fists, ready to carve R.I.P into anyone who stands in his way this year. The one, the only, RIPTIIIIIIIDE!"
Overcome with the impulse, I blow him a kiss.
He catches it and smashes it to his mouth.
"I'm the realest fucking thing you're ever going to have."
"Hey, hey, listen to me." He traps me with his arms and his gaze. "I am insane about you. I've been in hell without you. In hell. Stop being ridiculous," he says, squeezing my face. "I love you. I love you. Come here."
"I love you. I love you to pieces, and I'm going to come back and put you back together again, all right?"
"I adore you with every breath I take--in every ounce of me, I adore you."

It's always a wonderful surprise when I like a sequel better than the first. It's not generally a common occurrence for me, but when it DOES happen, it makes me feel all kinds of happy inside. And goodness, Mine really did make me so many levels of happy. I really like the first book. I loved the characters--especially our one and only Riptide--but the actually plot was somewhat flip-floppy. The on/off relationship frustrated me. I still enjoyed the book, but not as much as I could have. Now I picked up the sequel and I ABSOLUTELY LOOOOVED IT!

The biggest success with this book, for me, was that Remy and Brooke were already together. So instead of questioning WHEN they would figure out that they were meant to be the whole time, I was secure in the fact that they were an item. I watched their struggles, but felt confident they'd fix things in the process. It was just a really nice weight off my shoulders. I could sit back and enjoy Remy and the story without worrying about whether or not they'd break up.

This novel also contained some things I personally love in books, if they're done the right way. I can't say WHAT those things were, because that would be spoilery, but a few of the plot points worked well in this particular New Adult story. The rest of the plot was more awesome in the form of Remy kicking some ass. Don't think I'll ever get sick of Remington Tate being the best.

Brooke was way easier for me to like this time around. She's a pretty strong chick, and she is so great for Remy. Her inner monologue wasn't as wishy-washy in this novel, due to the fact that she and Remy are the freaking best. Both together and individually (but I prefer them together. FOREVER). Brooke does what she has to do to keep herself happy and keep things rolling with Remy.

Remy is yet again a character that I have fallen head over heels in love with. He's a fighter. He's strong and tough and one of the most real, raw, and beautiful characters I've ever encountered. He's a gentle giant, really. The only time he gets vicious is in the ring or if someone messes with what's his--including Brooke and the rest of their little family (which I love, by the way, how they have their own little family of Coach and Pete and Riley and Diane and whatnot). Remy is actually a darn good guy. He has his issues, of course, but he fights them and deals with them the very best he can.

Which brings me to the next thing I adore about these books--how they tackle the topic of mental health. It's a serious thing and it really does effect many lives. There's not a simple solution like medication or whatever. A person can try their best to be 100% healthy, but mental health is just so unpredictable (yes, I know this from personal experience). I LOVE how Remy portrays his struggles in such a real way, and that Brooke takes them seriously and in an appropriately sympathetic way. She doesn't hold it against him. They just deal.

Judging from the fact that a majority of the quotes I listed were sweet as sugar, it's safe to say the romance in this book fulfilled my craving for sweetness. Remy and Brooke are a pair that are coupled so perfectly. They can be strong together, and they can be vulnerable together. They just...they fit so well together and I heart them as a couple. SO. FLIPPING. MUCH. Watching them go through everything that happened in Mine made my heart so happy, even though I felt so much for them when they hit their low points. But even during those low points, they were united and I enjoyed that.

Overall, I loved this one even more than the first! I adore Remy, and he and Brooke are a couple I honestly don't think I'll ever get sick of. Their story is turning into something I look back at fondly, and I can't wait to read Remy's take on things in his book, Remy!




Blog Twitter Goodreads Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...