Sunday, January 26, 2014

To DNF or Not to DNF

I've been having issues lately. Book related issues. Over the last few weeks, I've DNFed probably every other read. And they're aren't books that are getting so-so reviews. These are the books that are getting 4 or 5 stars from people and have high reviews on Goodreads and Amazon.

I have no idea what is happening! They're also books that I would have devoured within a day and I find myself spending more time wasting time on my phone that wanting to read these books. The book I DNFed just yesterday, I was 200 pages in when I realized that I just did not care. The book started off amazing and I was so excited to read it after having it sit on my shelves for months. And this is by no means a bad book. It has a 4.08 rating on Goodreads, out of more than 75,000 rating. Of all my friends, the lowest rating is a 3/5 - and I can't even get past page 200!

And this isn't the first time this has happened. It happened to me with Ruby Red. I was intrigued, but not terribly intrigued. And that has a 4.14 out of 23,000 rating.

More than anything, this is incredibly frustrating. I'm reading these book because I want to. I want to love them. Hell, I bought some of these books I'm "eh" about so that's even more frustrating! However, I'm not incredibly ready to mark some of these books as DNF on Goodreads. Something  intrigued me enough to pick up these books. Something intrigued me enough to get to page 200. Something intrigued me enough to not want to completely write these books off.

And honestly? It's making me nervous to pick up books. What if this happens to a book I'm super excited about? What then? There are certain books I have no worries about (either continuations of beloved series or books by authors I covet), but the debts or the series beginners that I've had on my TBR for far too long.

Maybe this is just a phase. Maybe I'm going through a reading slump and I'm taking it out on these poor defenseless books. (I read a 5/5 book in between some of these books, which confuses me even more about my "issue.") I think I need to create a new shelf on Goodreads: DNFs to Revist, or something to that effect.

Has this or something like it ever happened to you? Any suggestions on how to pull myself out of whatever pseudo-reading slump/issues I'm having?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...