Sunday, August 31, 2014

Bookish Digets: August 2014

Hello lovelies! Welcome to Bookish Digest - something we'll be putting together at the end of every month to highlight our recent favorite reads and recap any posts you may have missed. We also include an About My Life and Things I'm Looking Forward To section in an effort for you to get to know us better. Don't forget to tell us in the comments some things that happened to you over the past month so we can get to know you guys better too!

Also, you may have noticed that this month we held Mermaids and Myths month on Bookish. We read amazing books, interviewed authors, and had some awesome giveaways! If you missed anything you can click on the links below or head to the Mermaids and Myths kick off post!



Genre:
Young Adult, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction
Website:Andrew Smith 

Goodreads
Review:
Unknown
Finn Easton sees the world through miles instead of minutes. It’s how he makes sense of the world, and how he tries to convince himself that he’s a real boy and not just a character in his father’s bestselling cult-classic book. Finn has two things going for him: his best friend, the possibly-insane-but-definitely-excellent Cade Hernandez, and Julia Bishop, the first girl he’s ever loved.

Then Julia moves away, and Finn is heartbroken. Feeling restless and trapped in the book, Finn embarks on a road trip with Cade to visit their college of choice in Oklahoma. When an unexpected accident happens and the boys become unlikely heroes, they take an eye-opening detour away from everything they thought they had planned—and learn how to write their own destiny.

Reviews

Miscellaneous
The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman {Interview}
Sea Witches, Sailors, and Salt & Storm {Guest Post}
Guardian by Alex London {Guest Post}
Courtney Alameda's 30TH BIRTHDAY HORRORPALOOZA!

About My Life in August
Tori caught her very first cold, ate her first chicken and veggie meal and babbled mama

I celebrated my 29th birthday

I watched The Fault in Our Stars and bawled. 

Things I'm Looking Forward to in September
Leaves changing colors 

The Maze Runner movie

More fun times with Tori



Genre:
Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance, Mystery, Thriller
Website:Michelle Hodkin 

Goodreads
Review:
Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong.
Side note: This was the hardest decision! I read so many awesome books this month. Such awesomeness cannot be contained!



Features
Read the Classics {Top Ten Tuesday}
To Read or Not To Read {Top Ten Tuesday}
Give Me These Books {Top Ten Tuesday}
Social Media {Feature & Follow}
Time for Hollywood {Feature & Follow}

Miscellaneous
What Is A Myth? {Socratic Seminar}
Sherrilyn Kenyon: Author Goddess {Socratic Seminar}
2014 Beat the Heat Readathon {Reading Challenge}
Twisted Dark by Neil Gibson {Blast}
Signed, Sealed, Delivered {Book Haul}

About My Life In August
My birthday! I had an awesome birthday week! I went to an Indian restaurant, had a cookout at my dad's, read all day on my birthday and saw Guardians of the Galaxy - which I highly recommend. I got some awesome gifts off our wedding registry, some books, and a few other little things.

The month of books. Aside from obtaining quite a few books this month, I read a lot too. I think I've read more so in this month than any other. It did wonders for my TBR pile, review books, and the mini goals I've set for myself. Not only that, I read so many amazing books this month.

Things I'm Looking Forward To In September
My bridal shower and dress fitting #2. So excited for these things. I know bridal showers are usually boring, but we're playing a game at mine that involve nerf guns. Oh yeah.

I have friends coming in from Arizona. And they're bringing their two little girls with them - I cannot wait to see their faces!


Genre:
Young Adult, Mermaids
Website:Sutton Shields 

Goodreads
Review:
Someone wicked walks among them.

Heartbreak usually requires time to heal. For Marina Valentine, however, time has other plans: like sticking her with a shiny, stubborn accessory, sending her on a surprising date with someone other than Troy Tombolo, and introducing her lips to kisses that could save or destroy everything and everyone.

Marina and the rest of the Mer-Nor gang must find a way to push through the grief caused by The Dealer, for their next mission will take them on a dangerous, scandal-filled journey that may very well be the most significant to date: hunt down the evidence they need to prove once and for all that the tyrannical King Zale breached the water pact.
But with the shocking identity of The Dealer and overwhelming guilt weighing heavily on her, Marina struggles with frightening emotional urges and begins to question whether she is truly strong enough to succeed as the all-important Siren Savior.

Marina is in more danger than ever before—even inside the familiar study with her trusted friends—because unbeknownst to her, someone has been lurking about, waiting for the chance to undo everything the Mer-Nor gang has achieved…and with the Siren Savior’s doubt growing, that person’s chance has finally arrived.
*Note:  This was a very hard decision. If you look below I had a lot of 5* reviews.  I ended up picking the 5* that I had most been anticipating. 

Reviews
Coral & Bone by Tiffany Daune {5/5}
Betrayal by Amber Garr {5/5}
Merminia by Emm Cole {5/5}
Love in the Time of Global Warming by Francesca Lia Block {5/5}
The Twice Lost by Sarah Porter {5/5}
Scorched by Mari Mancusi {5/5}
Of Neptune by Anna Banks {5/5}
Flicker & Burn by T.M Goeglein {5/5}
Promise Bound by Anne Greenwood Brown {5/5}
Rifted by Sutton Shields {5/5}
Endless Shores by M.R. Polish {5/5}
Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnelly {4/5}
Lost Voices by Sarah Porter {4/5}
Waking the Merrow by Heather Rigney {4/5}
Waking Storms by Sarah Porter {4/5}
Stalked by Death by Kelly Hashway {4/5}
The Island of Excess Love by Fancesca Lia Block {4/5}
Sweet Legacy by Tera Lynn Childs {4/5}

Author/Book Spotlight
The Merworld Wars by Sutton Shields {Dream Cast}

Miscellaneous

Outlander Screening

About My Life In August
I finished my third and final academic semester- In September I go into a block placement but have no more studying for exams and assignments!! I can't even explain how exciting this is to me.

Excited that Mermaid & Myths Month was on Bookish! I am so happy that we had this event and that it was such a success.  I adore this event and all of the books in it.  Thank you to everyone that stopped by! 

Things I'm Looking Forward to in September
I don't know...  Life has been so crazy I haven't had much time to look forward.  I will let you know next month if there was any awesome things that I forgot!



Genre:
Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Website:Juile Cross 

Goodreads
Review:
To be posted October 6
Life loves a good curveball…

Seventeen-year-old Annie Lucas's life is completely upended the moment her dad returns to the major leagues as the new pitching coach for the Kansas City Royals. Now she's living in Missouri (too cold), attending an all-girls school (no boys), and navigating the strange world of professional sports. But Annie has dreams of her own—most of which involve placing first at every track meet…and one starring the Royals' super-hot rookie pitcher.

But nineteen-year-old Jason Brody is completely, utterly, and totally off-limits. Besides, her dad would kill them both several times over. Not to mention Brody has something of a past, and his fan club is filled with C-cupped models, not smart-mouthed high school “brats” who can run the pants off every player on the team. Annie has enough on her plate without taking their friendship to the next level. The last thing she should be doing is falling in love.

But baseball isn't just a game. It's life. And sometimes, it can break your heart…

Reviews
I saw Jennifer L. Armentrout! Jen is my absolute favorite author, and it's always great to see her. She is so freaking nice. I went to her signing at Book People in Austin (which is amazing, because a bunch of us have been trying to get Jen to Austin for a while), and it was a good time. She came over and said hi to me, which was awesome because I'm always astounded that she remembers me. And then I got even more happy pants when I saw how she signed my book!


My brother and his family are here for a bit. This is kind of a big deal, because I haven't seen my brother since my freshman year of high school. He's had two kids since then (well, not HIM, but his significant other did) so it's great meeting them and all their cuteness.

I started school. This is kind of good and bad. Good because all that stuff is finally sorted and I'm going. My dad can stop spazzing about it. But it's bad of course because...SCHOOL. My schedule is actually not too bad, though. So at least there's that.

Things I'm Looking Forward to in September
September is actually a simple month for me. I can't think of anything too crazy exciting. But I know I'm looking forward to some books I'm finally going to get to on my TBR. Like OPPOSITION, which I still haven't finished because I'm a wimp. And ROGUE, which I've been waiting until I have more tiiiime. That's what I need--more tiiiime. Oh, and THE WRITE STUFF by Tiffany King! I am so excited to gobble that one up.

And some awesome books are releasing in September! Like STAY WITH ME, by JLA. I'm looking forward to another NA contemp by her. They always make me feel all happy inside.

Oh, and I hope to see IF I STAY at some point. I looooved that book, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the movie is. I remember reading that book way back in the day, like the year it came out. I was in middle school--8th grade, to be exact. I borrowed it from my friend and that book was such an experience. SO MANY FEELINGS. Awww, Adam Wilde.



Genre:
Young Adult, Mythology, Paranormal
Website:Terra Lynn Childs 

Goodreads
Review:
Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.

Reviews

About My Life in August
I got a great part time job in accounting, plus a surprise raise after 2 weeks with the company. 

Things I'm Looking Forward to in September
Moving!

My best friend from New York will be visiting.



Genre:
Young Adult, Mythology, Romance, Retellings
Website:Kaitlin Bevis 

Goodreads
Review:
There are worse things than death, worse people too

The “talk” was bad enough, but how many teens get told that they’re a goddess? When her mom tells her, Persephone is sure her mother has lost her mind. It isn’t until Boreas, the god of winter, tries to abduct her that she realizes her mother was telling the truth. Hades rescues her, and in order to safely bring Persephone to the Underworld he marks her as his bride. But Boreas will stop at nothing to get Persephone. Despite her growing feelings for Hades, Persephone wants to return to the living realm. Persephone must find a way to defeat Boreas and reclaim her life.

Reviews
Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep {5/5}
Persephone by Kaitlin Bevis {5/5}
Oppression by Jessica Therrien {4/5}
Firelight by Sophie Jordan {4/5}
The Gatekeeper's Sons by Eva Pohler {3/5}

About My Life In August
My little brother turned 21! Unfortunately that event took away a lot of my reading time, but I listened to some audiobooks.

My best friend's sister had her baby. It was a long delivery that was scary at times, but both her sister and her beautiful niece are happy and healthy!

I was offered a new position at work and I am awaiting the promotion that should happen sometime next month! SUPER EXCITED!

Things I'm Looking Forward to in September
Getting out of that damned warehouse so I can get a little bit of my life and my READING back!

4 Wheel Jamboree Weekend!!!!!!

Fall time!!! I just LOVE the Autumn season!!

 

What were some of your favorite books this month? Tell us about what went on in your life during the month of August - reading and other wise - and what you're looking forward to in July! :) 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...