Saturday, August 2, 2014

Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy #1) by Jennifer Estep (Review)

Genre:
Young Adult, Mythology,  Supernatural, Magic, Gods & Goddesses
Publication Date:  August 1st 2011
Pages:350 pages
Published By:  K-Teen
WebsiteJennifer Estep

Touch of Frost on Goodreads
My review copy:Bought for my Kindle :]
Where to get:






My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy; a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest. But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why; especially since I should have been the one who died...
(Goodreads)


It was like going to school in an episode of Xena: Warrior Princess.
Seriously. Logan Quinn was the kind of guy who could stab me in the eye with a freaking Twizzler.
Nickamedes loved the library and all the books inside, loved them with a passion that bordered on serial killer creepy.
The air was chilly, but not unpleasantly so, and the stars twinkled like the sequins on a prom queen's dress int he black velvety fabric of the sky.
Logan smiled at me then, a small, sexy grin that curved his lips and made his eyes flare with a brilliant blue light. My brain must have shut down or something, because I was momentarily breathless, even as my heart pounded in my chest.
I'm a figment of your imagination. You're only imagining that I'm sitting here eating with you. Because I'm just so freaking awesome that people daydream about being seen with me.
You're kind of like fungus, Gwen. After a while, you just start growing on people. 



I am a fan of Jennifer Estep. This is the first book of hers that I have read and it did not disappoint. I loved this book so much! I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book in this series! Touch of Frost has been on my radar for some time now and I can't believe it has taken me this long to get around to it. The writing is good and I really like the way she describes things (like the quote above with "velvety fabric of the sky").

Gwen Frost is a Gypsy. She has the power of touch magic, which means when she touches things or people she can see the history of the object or the secrets of people. She is a relatable character and I liked her a lot. I started liking Gwen even more when she became friends with Daphne (I loved Daphne). I felt like Daphne brought out the best in Gwen and vice versa. They're really good together and I love that there was a friendship formed between them and that Jennifer Estep really gave a friendship some shine, even though there is kind of a budding romance with Gwen and another character, I was really happy to find that Jennifer focused a lot on Gwen and Daphne's budding friendship.

Logan freaking Quinn. Oh man. Where can I find me one of those? Sexy. Dangerous. Could probably kill you with a Twizzler if he wanted to. Quick witted. Oh man. I cannot get enough of that sexy Spartan! I was a little upset that there weren't more interactions between Gwen and Logan (but I know there will be lots more in the second book!!!) but I think Jennifer did a great job on the relationship between them. I cannot wait to read more about Logan!! SWOON!!!

I also really loved the relationship Gwen has with her grandmother. It's sweet, just like all the sweets her grandma bakes. :] Her grandma reminded me a lot of my own grandmother, which made me relate to Gwen even more. I'm really glad Gwen has her Grandma Frost.

Jennifer did an amazing job with this first book to the series. It's well written. It sets everything up for future books yet it didn't lack any action within the first book. It has amazing characters that I cannot get enough of. Touch of Frost is a great first book and I think each book after will be even better! If you are into Mythology or Supernatural, then definitely pick this book up! You won't regret it!





For more reviews, author features, discussion posts and giveaways, click on the banner to see the full MERMAIDS & MYTHS schedule!




Blog Twitter Facebook Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...