Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs {Book Review}



Genre:Fantasy
Publication.Date 
Sept. 6th 2011
Pages:345
Published By:  Katherine Tegan Books
WebsiteTera Lynn Childs

Sweet Venom Goodreads
My review copy:I received a copy of this book from the author, in exchange for an honest review. 

                                     Where to get:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0991500776/ref=x_gr_w_bb?ie=UTF8&tag=httpwwwgoodco-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0991500776&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-very-good-life-lynn-steward/1118920887?ean=9780991500772&itm=1&usri=9780991500772&cm_mmc=AFFILIATES-_-Linkshare-_-GwEz7vxblVU-_-10:1&r=1,%201


Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight


Even twenty minutes in a scalding shower can't completely wash the stink of minotaur off my body. I lather-rinse-repeat five times, hoping to purge the lingering residue from my hair. Getting up close and personal with a monster is never pretty, but sometimes it's worse than others.
As much as I might want to know my sister, she obviously doesn't want to know me. And I'm perfectly happy to pretend that monsters and Medusa are figments of myth. "Minotaurs don't exist" I tell my reflection. Maybe if I pretend hard enough, I'll actually believe it.   
Her eyes widen, but she recovers quickly. "Yes, in part. Your reunion with your sisters is no accident. It is predestined. My sister and I have been waiting for this time. It saddens me that I cannot be there to guide you through it" 




What a surprise this was to me! I never knew I could get into this type of fantasy book. I guess this means my TBR shelf will be climbing in the numbers, yet again. This book was wow, I flew through it but also didn't skip anything. For a 345 page book that is saying a lot. 
Grace just moved to San Francisco with her parents and her brother Thane, to go to a prestigious school that she was excepted into. Gretchen has been in San Francisco her whole life and lives with Ursala, the lady that took her in when she was living on the streets after she ran away from her foster parents. Greer is a snob. She makes sure the world revolves around her and doesn't care how she has to make it happen. So, what do these three girls have in common, you ask? They are identical twins! 
 I really loved this book - it's engaging, the characters are very realistic, and it is very easy to relate to them. The plot, between each of the sisters, flows smoothly and provides a closer glimpse into their lives. I found myself very intrigued by both Thane - Grace's brother - and Nick - a new student at Gretchen's school. I believe both characters are much more than they seem, and will play an integral part in the story to come. The story does an amazing job at making the reader feel as if they are part of the story but yet keeps you guessing as to what might happen in the next books in the series. 

This book was a definite mythological experience that will continue to impact me, long after the last page! 

About the Author


Tera Lynn Childs is the RITA-award-winning author of the mythology-based Oh.My. Gods. and Goddess Boot Camp, the mermaid tales Forgive My Fins, Fins Are Forever and Just For Fins, and a kick-butt trilogy about monster-hunting descendants of Medusa that includes Sweet Venom, Sweet Shadows, and Sweet Legacy. She has published two e-novellas, Goddess In Time and Pretty In Pearls, and self-published her City Chicks sweet chick lit series. Tera lives nowhere in particular and spends her time writing wherever she can find a comfy chair and a steady stream of caffeinated beverages.
 
Connect with the author: 
 



For more reviews, author features, discussion posts and giveaways, click on the banner to see the full MERMAIDS & MYTHS schedule!



Blog Twitter Goodreads Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...