Thursday, August 18, 2016

Throwback Thursday Book Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Some of you may know that I originally had my own blog, Beauty but a Funny Girl, prior to joining Bookish (now Bookish Lifestyle). I was thinking the other day about all those reviews I left behind when I transferred and thought they should get some love too - no matter how badly written and newbie they come off! So I present to you: Throwback Thursday Reviews! Every once in a while I'll post an old review from Beauty but a Funny Girl, unedited in terms of content, with the exception of any spelling or grammatical mistakes. It's definitely going to be fun and interesting to see how my tastes and writing style have changed over the years!




Series:
The Infernal Devices #1
Genre:
Young Adult, Steampunk, Romance, Historical Fiction
Publication.Date:August 31, 2010
Pages:476 (Hardcover)
Published By:  Margaret K. McElderry Books
Website:Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Angel on Goodreads
My review copy:
Bought

Where to get:
  




Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What’s more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length . . . everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world. . . . and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

(Goodreads)

Originally posted May 30, 2013 on Beauty but a Funny Girl

I was first turned onto Cassandra Clare when Clockwork Princess came out a few months ago. I was seeing all the tweets, reviews, and comments and I knew I had to read the series myself. So I asked the Easter Bunny - aka my mom - for the series for Easter. I got them and then they sat on my shelf. I can't be the only person who does this. Need the books, get the books, books sit on shelf eventually they'll get read.

It wasn't until Alise at Readers in Wonderland, announced that Clockwork Angel would be May's pick for the Young Adult Book Blogger Club. Perfect excuse to finally pick up the book and begin the series.

I loved Clockwork Angel. I loved the setting, the time period, the characters, and the plot. I enjoy it when books don't dawdle about getting into the plot and hooking my interest, but just jump right in. We start off with Jem and Will killing a demon and then right into Tessa coming over from New York City and meeting the Dark Sisters, learning that her brother "sent them."

Tessa is taught by the Dark Sisters to Change - taking on the form of another after touching something personal. Not only can she physically change into this person, but she also gains some of their memories and thoughts. Creepy.

It is while she is being held by the Dark Sisters that Will - whom I have mixed feelings about - rescues her and brings her back to the Institute. It's while being rescued that we see what a strong individual Tessa really is. She is a completely strange situation, and world for that matter, and she shines. Occasionally she is shocked that women are fighting and not just sitting at home waiting for the men and keeping house. I completely get it seeing as the time period it takes place, but by the end of the novel, you know Tessa has switched sides of this argument - or will be shortly.

I love the minor characters as much as I love the major ones - Jessamine excluded. Charlotte is pretty bad ass and runs the Institute with her husband Henry, who juts can't catch a break. I feel bad for them as Charlotte is clearly trying to prove herself to the Enclave, being both young and  woman, and things don't always seem to work out in her favor. I also feel like Tessa and Sophie are going to become really close though out the series.

Regarding to the two men of our "love-triangle," I'm not feeling either Will or Jem. I like the both but I'm not being pulled one way or another. Will amuses me and his one-liners remind me of Tony Stark (this may be due to the case that I saw Iron Men 3 before I began reading this) and Jem is probably one of the sweetest guys I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Both men have this mystery and intrigue to their backgrounds/pasts. We find out Jem's during Clockwork Prince, but have yet to find out what happened between Will and his family.

I was a huge fan of the fact that there wasn't really any romantic intrigue until page 300ish, which isn't the normal for a YA novel. This might be part of the reason that I haven't committed to Team Will or Team Jem, but that's fine. I've read a few novels where the plot was really strong and then once the romance was introduced, it became romance-heavy and plot-light. The romance subplot was so minuscule that it didn't take away from the plot at all and at the same time served a purpose.

Clockwork Angel kept me on my toes, took me by surprise, and had me yelling at the characters a few times; however, that isn't really out of the norm for me.  :)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...