Monday, January 25, 2016

January TBR Pile Book Club: Pivot Point by Kasie West

image2

Hi guys! Welcome to the January TBR Pile Book Club where we'll discuss Pivot Point by Kasie West! Huge thank you to everyone who will join us to discuss this AMAZING book!

Don't forget that everyone who takes part in our January TBR Pile Book Club is going to get 5 extra entries into the next TBR Pile Reading Challenge giveaway!

About the Book

Pivot Point by Kasie West
Series: Pivot Point #1
Published: February 12, 2013 by HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance
Find it: Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble | IndieBound
Knowing the outcome doesn't always make a choice easier...

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through... and who she can’t live without.

Discussion Questions

1) If you could have a super power, what would it be?

2) Which timeline did you originally favor? (Let's pretend you're still at the point where everything is all sunshine and puppy dogs.)

3) Did you enjoy the back and forth between the two paths or was it hard to get into the story?

4) If you were given Addie's choice, to live within the compound or to leave it, what would you choose? For arguments sake, you cannot look into the future and we'll pretend your paths do not end as gruesome.

5) I love the overlapping of the story lines (i.e. Posion at the door, the football game, etc.). For me it added to the tension of the story and I loved seeing how they played out in the different timelines. My favorite was when Laila and Addie were at the football game and trying to use their powers on the Norms and among all the people Addie picked out Trevor. What was your favorite alternate scene?

6) Are you planning to read Split Second?

Please leave your answers in the comment section below and don't forget to respond to other comments so we can have an amazing discussion! We'll be checking in and responding as well  :)


Keep in my that if you haven't read Pivot Point, we WILL be discussing spoilers! Avoid the comments if you don't want to be spoiled! You've been warned!

Our Favorite Quotes

"Heads up," a loud voice called from my right. I looked up just in time to see a football smack me right between the eyes. I never really understood the saying heads up. At least not as a warning.

Duck or watch out or flying object, even heads down would've worked.
"Hey, I'm still in my-parents-just-got-a-divorce mode. Remember? This is the time when I'm allowed to question all relationships, wonder if true love exists at all anymore, and swear to a life of celibacy."

"Are you trying to live out every cliche?" "Yes. If I'm forced to live through a divorce, it better be exactly like I've seen it play out in books and movies." I start listening the characteristics on my fingers. "Teen's parents fight over her through bribes, teen gets to be full of angst, teen's friend feels sorry for her, teen trust no one . . ."

"Except her best friend."
The library is the only option that makes me feel halfway decent, so I head there. I pull A Tale of Two Cities from its place and sit down. When I turn back the cover, it automatically opens to where an index card is stuck between two pages. I furrow my brow and read, Wanted: good zombie hunter. Call 555–3681. Be prepared to provide references and past experience. On the back Trevor had drawn a stick-figure zombie wearing a powdered wig and chasing a man. A smile creeps onto my face. He has a sense of humor and creativity. I wonder when he put this in the book. I search the aisles for a while but can’t find him anywhere. I program his number into my phone for later and slip the card into my bag.
"Can you describe the zombie that’s after you?"

He hums a little. "He’s a really old guy with an English accent, he might have a goatee, and he’ll definitely be carrying around a really thick, boring book. You might be able to pry it from his decaying hands and beat him back to death with it. Or maybe just reading it to him would work."

He had to go there. "Boring? I could get a really thick book of my own and join his cause."
The desk chair swivels as I shift my leg back and forth once. "When I read, I feel emotion all on my own. Emotion no living person is making me feel. To me, it almost seems more real, because I know that those characters can’t influence me with any power. So I like to remind myself that I can feel without anyone manipulating me.… I know, it’s lame."

"No, it’s not lame. But you sound like a Naturalist again. You sound like you want to live in a world where people don’t have powers."

My eyes drift to the view of the mountains out his window. "No. I want to live in a world where people aren’t using their powers against me to fulfill their own agenda."

Never too late to join!

Head on over to our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge Guidelines and Sign Ups! post to sign up if you haven't already.

image2


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...