Thursday, November 26, 2015

Throwback Thursday Review: Boundless by Cynthia Hand

Some of you may know that I originally had my own blog, Beauty but a Funny Girl, prior to joining Bookish (now Bookish Lifestyle). I was thinking the other day about all those reviews I left behind when I transferred and thought they should get some love too - no matter how badly written and newbie they come off! So I present to you: Throwback Thursday Reviews! Every once in a while I'll post an old review from Beauty but a Funny Girl, unedited in terms of content, with the exception of any spelling or grammatical mistakes. It's definitely going to be fun and interesting to see how my tastes and writing style have changed over the years!


Series:
Unearthly #3
Genre:
Young Adult, Romance, Angels, Paranormal
Publication.Date:January 22, 2013
Pages:438 (ARC)
Published By:  HarperTeen
Website:Cynthia Hand 

Radiant on Goodreads
My review copy:
Won

Where to get:
 http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ready-player-one-ernest-cline/1100055635?ean=9780307887443 http://www.indiebound.org/book/9780061996207



The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.

Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.

As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfill her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.

In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all.

(Goodreads)

Originally posted May 18, 2013 on Beauty but a Funny Girl

t's all over now. That's it. No mas. The end. But it was a good ending and I can't complain about that.

I have been putting off this book for quite sometime. Not because I didn't want to read it, but because I didn't want it to end. Now that I've read it, I'm content. Hand handled (ha!) things very well and I think she might have just about pleased everybody. Well, I'm sure there are some Team Tucker or Team Christian (I say both because I'm not giving away who are dear Clara ends up with), who are not happy, but I see the reasoning and it's perfect. That's all I'll say about that aspect of our triangle.

One of the aspects I really liked was that Clara was on her own for part of the novel. Angela was doing her own issues, Christian was mad at her, Tucker was mad at her, and Jeffery was Jeffery. I don't mean I liked this in a bad way, but it was nice to see her stand on her own two feet and become somebody she could rely on.

Her dad also played a bigger part in this novel as well. He trained Clara and Christian on how to fight using a glory sword, which I thought was pretty cool. I kind of want to learn to sword fight, too. In fact, sometimes I wish we still lived in an age where people walked around carrying swords. Now that I think about it, never mind. Moving on... Of course, when her dad said she had some trials ahead of her and he wouldn't be able to interfere, I knew this happy story was not going to stay happy for very long. And it did not.

Surprisingly, well not so much actually, Samjeeza wasn't our big bad. What Clara gave to him at the end of book two was perhaps one of the smartest moves she has ever made. That being said, I liked the big bad and his minions. Surprises at every turn, folks!

And one of my favorite moments was near the near the end of the book when Clara is at her "thinking spot" and she gets a surprise visitor. So awesome.

I don't know what I can say about the last very chapters of this book except that I cried, I cheered, I frowned, I grinned, I ran through so many different and conflicting emotions that I'm pretty sure my boyfriend was close to having me committed.

I can't say enough good things about this book. It was the perfect ending and the epilogue wasn't cheese - unlike some series endings I can think of. If you did what I did - put of the inevitable - stop, pick up Boundless and just read it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...