Sunday, March 22, 2015

Die for Me by Amy Plum (Review)


Series:
Revenants #1
Genre:
Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance
Publication.Date:May 10, 2011
Pages:354 (paperback)
Published By:  HarperTeen
Website:Amy Plum

Die For Me on Goodreads
My review copy:
Bought


Where to get:



My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.

Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were moving to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my life would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.

Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, he put me in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen ... until I realized that Vincent Delacroix is no normal human—that he has a terrifying destiny and enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.

Can I risk everything for love?

(Goodreads)

In the middle of the courtyard stood a circular fountain carved in granite, its dark gray basin big enough to swim a few strokes across. Over the splashing water stood a life-size stone figure of an angel carrying a sleeping woman in his arms. Her body was visible through the fabric of her dress, which was worked so finely by the sculptor that the heavy stone was transformed into the finest gauze. The woman's fragile loveliness was offset by the strength of the male angel carrying her, his massive wings curving protectively over the two figures. It was a symbol combining beauty and danger, and it cast a sinister aura across the courtyard.
Paris disappeared. The rippling of the waves beneath us, the hum of the cars passing on either side of the river, the whispering of the couples passing us hand in hand . . . they all disappeared, and Vincent and I were the only people left of earth.
"If you're just going to sit here and torture me, then you can just get up and go back to the fancied mortuary you all live in," I said.

"Ooooh! She dares send the poor zombie boy away in shame!"


I've had Die For Me on my TBR list for quite some time. I'm doing this thing now where I read at least three books off my TBR shelf before reading a new (2015) release and I'm kind of loving - so you may see a few of my reviews start off this way.  :)

I know this book is about four years old, but what Amy did with her twist on paranormal is unique and fresh. And while I do what to gush about it, I also don't want to ruin it for those of you who haven't read the series yet. I think one of my biggest pet peeves about blogging is when I'm reading a review and there is a HUGE plot reveal that isn't discussed in the synopsis. It's like, cool guy. Thanks for ruining it. Well, I'm not going to ruin it for you so I guess you'll just have to read the series to figure it out.

Anyway, can I just talk about the setting? Paris, guys! Paris! And it's not Paris as in "And then I walked by the Eiffel Tower on my way toward the Louvre" or whatever, but actual Paris. Having lived (and now currently living) in Paris, Amy gives us an insiders look into the city. Kate travels along lesser known roads, goes to local non-touristy spots, and I absolutely love it. So hands down, the setting is one of my favorite things about the book. Not just because it's Paris, but because Amy does an awesome job in describing the things around her characters and inserting us into the scenes.

I have a few issues with Kate as she doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed, but she's also being thrown into a completely new world with very different rules, which allows me to cut her a bit of slack. Although her heart is in the right place, so she does have that going for her. I do love the supporting characters. Kate's grandparents are straight up adorable, Vincent's fellow Revenants are all have their own unique personalities - and I love their back stories, and Georgia seems to be your typical teenage older sister.

I wasn't really invested in the relationship between Kate and Vincent, it felt forced. Aside from the occasional make out session and Kate's thoughts about Vincent, it felt like they had more of a sibling-like relationship than a romantic one. There wasn't much in the way of chemistry between them and I need to see that in these books. However, given that it is just the first book in the Revenants series and I'll be continuing with the next two books and novellas, I'm hoping that the relationship will strengthen.

Overall, I enjoyed Die For Me. I do have an issue with a few things (instalove/the romance, lull in the middle), but it wasn't enough to turn me off from the series. I see potential in the series and I'm looking forward to reading Until I Die with the hope that the series will pick up for me. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...