Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Into The Spiral by Erin Danzer (Review)

Genre:
Young Adult, Science Fiction, Paranormal, Supernatural
Publication Date:  January 4th, 2014
Pages:260
Published By:  Erin Danzer
WebsiteErin Danzer

Into the Spiral on Goodreads
My review copy:Review copy provided by author in return of an honest review
Where to get:

Seventeen-year-old Veronica “Ronnie” Lambert wants to get out from under her older brother’s shadow. When Ronnie gets a tattoo and then is struck by lightning, she suddenly finds herself able to see and hear things in shadows that don’t appear to others. Then Ronnie meets Gavin Clearwater, the hot new guy in all of her classes and finds out he can see and hear the same things she can.


Gavin tells her about the Spiral Defenders, a group of warriors that travels through space and time to defend the planets of the Spiral. After meeting the Commander of the Spiral Defenders and realizing his intentions might not be pure, Ronnie struggles between following her destiny to become a Spiral Defender and trying to regain the life she had before being struck by lightning.
(Goodreads)

He wore black cargo pants, a black t-shirt that did nothing to hide his six-pack abs, and black combat boots. He looked her up and down and arched an eyebrow as he stepped inside. "After you, Princess."
"Boyfriend or someone you wish was?" the boy behind her whispered..."well, if you're not going to answer, then I'm going to guess," he continued. "My guess would be that he's not your boyfriend but you want him to be. Since you didn't walk in with him, it makes me wonder if he's even interested in you. What is he, an oblivious friend? Or does he not even know you exist? Is that what this outfit is for; so he will finally see you?"
"Do you always rescue damsels in distress?" "Only when it's you; any other damsels have to find their own Prince Charming."

     Into the Spiral was a refreshing read. I enjoyed it. I've read some reviews saying how they didn't like the main character because she was whiney. Well, I thought Erin Danzer hit it right on the nose. She was your typical 17 year old. I remember when I was that age and a lot of us acted the same way. So, it was nice reading about a typical 17 year old. There are some books out there that when you read them you have to kind of question is this really about a teenager, because they seem really mature. I mean sure there are some mature teenagers out there however, few and far between. So, I thought that Ronnie was refreshing and true to herself, while blossoming before our own eyes.

     I felt that the story unfolded very well and that it was very interesting. I haven't read a lot of science fiction, but I love science fiction shows (Warehouse 13, Eureka, Doctor Who, etc) so I figured, why not try it out? And I am glad that I did. It was a nice cross with sic-fi and young adult. I really enjoyed the idea behind the Spiral Defenders. I can only see this series getting better as it progresses.

     I loved the characters within this book. Andi (one of Ronnie's best friends): LOVED HER! She reminded me of some of my friends. Shawn, he's okay. Not my favorite but not horrible. Gavin: LOVED HIM! :] The characters were all pretty well drawn out and written well.

     Let's talk about boys! We shall start with Gavin. I love him! You can tell that he cares for her and he pushes her buttons. Trust me, the pushing of the buttons is definitely needed! I'm really pulling for those two! However, Rick... yea he's a bit creepy. He's a little too old for her (from what I can gather)  and I don't like his intentions. Not that I know exactly what they are. But I can guess on a few things. I just don't know why a published author who is clearly not in high school anymore would be interested in a 17 year old high school girl.

     I will definitely be checking out the next installment when it is out because I really liked this book! It's so different and unique and I just want to know more!! Fan of sic-fi and YA? Then definitely check this book out!


Blog Twitter Facebook Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...