Monday, October 28, 2013

Beyond: A Ghost Story by Graham McNamee (Review)

Genre:
Young Adult, Paranormal, Ghosts, Thriller, Horror
Publication Date:  September 11th 2012
Pages:226
Published By:  Wendy Lamb Books
WebsiteGraham McNamee 

Beyond: A Ghost Story on Goodreads
My review copy:Received from Evie :]
Where to get:


Jane is not your typical teen. She and her best friend Lexi call themselves the Creep Sisters. Only Lexi knows why Jane is different from anyone else: Her own shadow seems to pull her into near-fatal accidents. Jane is determined to find out why these terrifying things happen, and to overcome her shadow enemy. Her sleuthing with Lexi connects her own horrors to the secret history of a serial killer.
(Goodreads)


After yesterday's hospital checkup, Dad caught me trying to break out in my sleep last night. He says I got pushy this time, shoving him out of the way before I woke up with a heart-stopping shock on the front lawn.
Get used to it, you're a celebrity. A living, breathing magic trick. You danced with death, wrestled with the Reaper. And won.
The day I died the sun was shining and the sky was blue as a dream.
Nowhere is safe anymore. Can't even hide away at home, in my own room.


     This book had a lot of promise, however, I couldn't give it more than three stars. I love the idea and the concept behind the book. However, I just couldn't love the actual book. I liked the book. But I am not sure if I would reread it. I would give the author another shot, because like I said, there is a lot of promise.

     Jane is afraid of her own shadow. Can you imagine ever being afraid of your own shadow? I liked the concept of this. I did want to keep my lights on after reading this novel. But I just couldn't connect with Jane. There was something about her that was off and it took me a while to figure it out. McNamee is a male. What do men really know about being a teenage girl? I feel like Jane was too much of a young boy rather than a girl. I think that if McNamee had made his protagonist in a male POV, I think I would  have connected A LOT BETTER.

     McNamee's writing style is very unique. It's short and choppy and definitely leaves an impression on you after reading. I very much enjoyed his style. Does it need some work, absolutely, but hardly anything is perfect, right?

     Like I said, I will definitely be keeping a lookout for more by McNamee and I did enjoy this book, I just wish the protagonist was from a male point of view because I think it would have worked out way better than the character of Jane. If you're in the mood for a hauntingly, creepy book for the Halloween season, definitely check it out. Just pretend Jane's a boy. ;P



Blog Twitter Facebook Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...