Sunday, August 18, 2013

Lightpoints by Peter Kassan (Review)

Genre:
Paranormal, 
Publication Date:  March 24th 2013
Pages:210
Published By:  Melange Books, LLC
WebsitePeter Kassan 

Lightpoints on Goodreads
My review copy:Review copy provided by author for an honest review
Where to get:


What if you suddenly discovered you had a sense-and powers-that almost no one else in the world did? When Amanda Lindner Nichols, a 24-year-old graphic artist living with her husband in Queens, New York, is revived from a near-death experience, she discovers she perceives everyone around her as points of light-but not with her eyes.

She soon learns she can not only perceive the life energy of others, but she can give and take it. With the help of others like her, she brings her husband Chris to the brink of death and back to bestow on him the same remarkable faculty, and they're the happiest they've been. But not for long. All over the world, people who've been revived from their own near-death experience at just the right moment discover themselves with these same unusual powers. They find ways to use them-some for good and some for evil.

When Amanda and Chris encounter a ruthless group of gangsters with the same faculty, tragedy follows-and Amanda faces the greatest challenge of her life.
(Goodreads)

Staring madly into her eyes, he stabbed her in the chest just below her collarbone.
The lights were everywhere around her, receding in all directions, as if she were in the center of a galaxy with eyes that could see in all directions. It was dazzling and beautiful, but it was also distracting, confusing, and disorienting.
He spent all the time he was awake exploring how his new sense worked and wondering how he could exploit it.
Then, just at the instant she touched the light, she felt an excruciating pain in her chest in her phantom body and in her physical body on the floor of Grand Central. It was real, visceral, physical.
It was the best orgasm he could remember. He felt more satisfied and more powerful than he had ever felt in his life. He felt invincible. "Rosa?" he said after he caught his breath, not actually expecting any reply. "Rosa?" He moved one hand down to her neck to feel for a pulse, but there was none.


      My feelings are a little mixed on this one. I thoroughly enjoyed the premise of this story and the idea behind it. However, I think it could have been executed a little differently. I liked getting the different sides/stories of the people who have gone through near-death-experiences (NDE). However, I think it was a little too much. However, the writing was very good. 

     I really liked the concept of the near-death-experience and the paranormal aspect behind it. I was very glad that it wasn't religious because even though I am religious, I really don't want to read about the religious aspects. It was very interesting learning about the lightpoints that reminded me of auras in a way. 

      I really liked the characters I met within this novel. Amanda was one of the main characters and I felt like I could really relate to her. She is very down to earth and easy-going. Carlos Herrera, however, I wanted to punch. He was one of the other characters who dealt with the NDE and he also sees these lightpoints but instead of using it for good, he exploited it. Well, go figure he was after all a leader in a gang. He quickly found out how to even kill with his newfound power. I liked Amanda's family a lot, especially her brother Will. He reminds me a lot of my own brother with being protective even when he's being annoying.

     I would say that if you are into this kind of paranormal with the near death experiences, definitely take a chance on this book. I enjoyed it, I just think that it was a little too much and could confuse people very easily, so beware on that one.


Blog Twitter Facebook Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...