Sunday, June 29, 2014

Crash into You by Katie McGarry (Review)


Series:
Pushing the Limits #3
Genre:
Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Realistic Fiction
Publication.Date:November 26, 2013
Pages:474 (hardcover)
Published By:  Harlequin Teen
Website:Katie McGarry 

Crash into You on Goodreads
My review copy:
Won

Where to get:



From acclaimed author Katie McGarry comes an explosive new tale of a good girl with a reckless streak, a street-smart guy with nothing to lose, and a romance forged in the fast lane.

The girl with straight As, designer clothes and the perfect life—that's who people expect Rachel Young to be. So the private-school junior keeps secrets from her wealthy parents and overbearing brothers...and she's just added two more to the list. One involves racing strangers down dark country roads in her Mustang GT. The other? Seventeen-year-old Isaiah Walker-a guy she has no business even talking to. But when the foster kid with the tattoos and intense gray eyes comes to her rescue, she can't get him out of her mind.

Isaiah has secrets, too. About where he lives, and how he really feels about Rachel. The last thing he needs is to get tangled up with a rich girl who wants to slum it on the south side for kicks-no matter how angelic she might look.

But when their shared love of street racing puts both their lives in jeopardy, they have six weeks to come up with a way out. Six weeks to discover just how far they'll go to save each other. (Goodreads)


My heels dangle in my right hand and I left the hem of my shimmering blue-gray ball gown with the other. Cinderella ran away because her coach was going to turn back into a pumpkin. I'm running away because I'd rather bee knee-deep in axle grease.
Under the dim lighting, parts of her hair shine and I crave to run my fingers through it. Fuck it. Once she goes home, she'll never come back. If Beth taught me anything, it's to grab hold of what's in front of me while I can. "What would you do if I kissed you?"
Somewhere deep inside of me, this horrible emptiness folds in like a black hole.

My sister. I search the crowd . . . looking for Ethan. I have a brother - a twin - and I have older brothers, but I've never known a sister.


Katie McGarry knows how to write the perfect romance story, I won't argue that. I fell in love with her writing after reading Dare You To and even more after Pushing the Limits - yes, I read them out of order. Sue me.

I was particularly excited when I found out that we were going to get Isaiah's story. After getting his heart ripped out by Beth in Dare You To, I was craving for him to get his happily ever after. I found it to be particularity heartbreaking that Isaiah felt alone. Noah was in college, working, and spending time with Echo and Isaiah had pretty much cut off contact with Beth. The close knit group that we encountered in Pushing the Limits had slowly drifted apart as they began their own lives, leaving Isaiah at the starting line.

Speaking of starting line, this is where Isaiah and Rachel meet. (See what I did there - the cleverness of me!) Rachel is struggling with living in the shadow of her sister Colleen, who died years earlier from cancer. She is the one her family looks to to keep their mother happy, the one who was born to replace the hole Colleen left in their family, and the one her father and four older brothers had a deep need to (over)protect.

I will admit that while I love the story, it's not my favorite. It's not that there is anything wrong with the relationship between Rachel and Isaiah or the novel itself, I just didn't swoon as hard as I did with Noah and Echo or Beth and Ryan. Something was just . . . missing. The element of danger created more of a serious tone than its predecessors, but I wasn't too worried about Eric, our "villain." He just didn't scare me like he was supposed to.

Katie does an amazing job of having numerous characters in her novels and ensuring that each character has their own personality. None of the characters blend into one another and they all stand on their own two feet. Even when characters from past novels make an appearance, regardless of the size, they hold on to the personality that we feel in love with. Noah is still Noah, Echo is still Echo, Beth is still Beth. I love that we get to see more of past characters as they play more of a significant role in Isaiah's story and bring about some great development.

The intricate weaving of these people into one another's lives is simply amazing. I love reading her novels and seeing friendships and relationships form from the smallest of things. I love watching minor characters from Dare You To become a major player in Crash Into You. I'm not going to name names, you'll just have to read it and find out!



Goodreads Twitter Instagram Google Plus Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...