Saturday, May 24, 2014

Hexed by Michelle Krys (Review)

Genre:
Young Adult, Paranormal, Witches and Wizards, Magic, Fantasy
Publication Date:  June 10th 2014
Pages:384
Published By:  Delacorte Press
WebsiteMichelle Krys 

Hexed on Goodreads
My review copy:Galley Received Through Netgalley
Where to get:





If high school is all about social status, Indigo Blackwood has it made. Sure, her quirky mom owns an occult shop, and a nerd just won’t stop trying to be her friend, but Indie is a popular cheerleader with a football-star boyfriend and a social circle powerful enough to ruin everyone at school. Who wouldn’t want to be her?

Then a guy dies right before her eyes. And the dusty old family Bible her mom is freakishly possessive of is stolen. But it’s when a frustratingly sexy stranger named Bishop enters Indie’s world that she learns her destiny involves a lot more than pom-poms and parties. If she doesn’t get the Bible back, every witch on the planet will die. And that’s seriously bad news for Indie, because according to Bishop, she’s a witch too.


Suddenly forced into a centuries-old war between witches and sorcerers, Indie’s about to uncover the many dark truths about her life—and a future unlike any she ever imagined on top of the cheer pyramid.
(Goodreads)


"Go on," he says. "I like it rough."
"You expecting another ridiculously handsome man to appear right now?" 
Bishop laughs. "You know your mean face is pretty sexy.
Hexed was just the thing that I needed to get back into the reading world. It was such a refreshing work of art about witches and warlocks and I instantly fell in love. Michelle Krys' writing is so well done. The plot had a beginning, middle, and end. Even though there was a cliffhanger ending (which we all know was going to happen, since it's the first in a series) Michelle still answers all of the questions you come up with while reading.

Indie (Indigo, is her full name) is not a normal heroine. She is more like real life. Which I think makes her a little more relatable. Yes, she was brave and smart, but she has flaws. She's not strong all of the time. And at the beginning of the book, it's a little iffy if you are going to like her. But as the story grows, so does Indie. And I ended up LOVING Indie. I rooted for her. I sympathized with her when someone dear to her died. I have a feeling that I am going to end up loving her more and more as this series progresses and she becomes stronger. I really loved that Michelle Krys went this route for her main character and not an easy route.

Indie's best friend, Paige. I liked her. I want to know more about her. I felt bad for her. Paige was  always Indie's best friend, but Indie was not always Paige's best friend. She was always Indie's neighbor. Meaning Indie couldn't stand her for most of her life, mainly because of her previous bff, who is a bitchy snot. But once Indie realizes that she deserves better than that, she makes a stand and even if Paige means social suicide, she doesn't care. I loved that.

Now, Bishop. Oh, Bishop. You are snarky, adorable, sexy, smart, witty, and basically everything I love in a man. Not to mention you are magical, literally. At first I was thinking that Bishop was fun and creepy at times but he says the funniest shit so I want him as my best friend. And when you get to know more about him. I fell in love. And then he's still saying the funniest shit. I fell in love even more!

So, the ending. I was sitting on my couch next to my boyfriend and I turned to him saying that I had 10% left of the book and I just know that it is going to end in a cliffhanger and then I'm going to have to wait EVEN LONGER for the second book. But OMG, I CANT WAIT! Seriously, you want magic, snarky awesome-ness, and growth? Then pick this book up. It's wonderful and I'm going to be buying a hardcover so that I can put it on my favorites shelf.


Blog Twitter Facebook Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...