Monday, April 16, 2018

Restore Me (Shatter Me #4) by Tahereh Mafi (Review)



Series:Shatter Me (#4)
Genre:
Young Adult, Dystopia, Romance
Publication Date:March 6th, 2018
Pages:448 (Hardcover)
Published By:  Harper Teen
Website:Tahereh Mafi

Restore Me on Goodreads
My review copy:
Bought

Where to get:

  



Juliette Ferrars thought she'd won. She took over Sector 45, was named the new Supreme Commander, and now has Warner by her side. But she's still the girl with the ability to kill with a single touch—and now she's got the whole world in the palm of her hand. When tragedy hits, who will she become? Will she be able to control the power she wields and use it for good?
(Goodreads)


Idiots are highly flammable, love. Let them all burn in hell.
I cannot let the broken girl inside of me inhale all that I've become. I cannot revert back to another version of myself. I will not shatter, not again, in the wake of an emotional earthquake.
The lies that make up my life. The threats against the innocent people of Sector 45. The certain death that awaits me. The frustration of having so much power, so much power and feeling so utterly, completely powerless. 



Politics, it turns out, is a science I don't yet understand. Killing things, breaking things -- destroying things? That, I understand. Getting angry and going to war, I understand. But patiently playing a confusing game of chess with a bunch of strangers from around the world?
God, I'd so much rather shoot someone.
      So... this was interesting.
     As a huge fan of Shatter Me series (the original trilogy), I was overjoyed when Tahereh Mafi broke the news about additional 3 books being added to the series. I’ve read the trilogy twice, I gobbled it down. I remember suffering from the most epic book hangover afterwards. So, yes, I was totally down for 3 more books and more heart pounding awesomeness.

     If you’re here because you want more of the gloriously intense relationship between Juliette and Warner and you’re hoping for some hot and juicy hanky-panky, well, you’re going to really enjoy Restore Me. Tahereh spent a substantial amount of time on those two, and we got to see how their relationship progressed after Juliette took over Secter 45 and became the Supreme Comander. Between Juliette and Warner’s point of view, we get a ton of insight into what these two are going through, what they’re thinking and feeling. And it’s all executed pretty flawlessly, if you ask me.

     On top of that, we get to see the aftermath of the events of Ignite Me. Juliette, Warmer and Castle might have won the battle, but they’re as far from winning the war as they can be. In fact, there’s so much more to the Establishment than we initially thought. I enjoyed unraveling the secrets and learning more about Juliette, her parents and her past. The tension was building up slowly throughout the book, and with every new information, the plot line grew more intense and exciting. The ending was truly shocking. Pure chaos, total destruction, lots of confusion and the biggest cliffhanger of the century. The wait for the next book is going to be truly painful. Why do I do this to myself? 

     Being reunited with these characters felt fabulous. We got to read more heart wrenching excerpts from Juliette’s diary, we got to hang out with Castle and Kenji again, and we also got to meet some new, interesting characters (including - spoiler alert - Warner’s ex girlfriend). On top of that, we learned more about the twisted world of the Establishment, and boy, were those some revelations! 

     Overall, reading Restore Me felt like coming home after a long absence (if your home is a broken, twisted world, and your family are a bunch of freaks with superpowers). Personally, I had a ton of fun. If you’re a big Shatter Me fan, chances are you’re going to love this new installment just as much as I did. On the other hand, if you weren’t really into the previous books, I honestly see no point of continuing with the series. It’s kind of like the Supernatural situation - hardcore fans are rejoicing at the renewal of the series for the 14th season, while the rest of the world is rolling their eyes. (I’m in the first group, if you’re wondering). So yeah, this book will not make you love the series if you aren’t already a fan.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...