Sunday, March 6, 2016

Book Review: Breaking the Rules by Katie McGarry



Series:
Pushing the Limits #1.5
Genre:
Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Realistic Fiction
Publication.Date:December 8, 2014
Pages:304 (Kindle)
Published By:  Harlequin Teen
Website:Katie McGarry 

Breaking the Rules on Goodreads
My review copy:
Local Library

Where to get:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/breaking-the-rules-katie-mcgarry/1119564024?ean=9781460341438




A summer road trip changes everything in this unforgettable new tale from acclaimed author Katie McGarry

For new high school graduate Echo Emerson, a summer road trip out west with her boyfriend means getting away and forgetting what makes her so... different. It means seeing cool sights while selling her art at galleries along the way. And most of all, it means almost three months alone with Noah Hutchins, the hot, smart, soul-battered guy who’s never judged her. Echo and Noah share everything — except the one thing Echo’s just not ready for.

But when the source of Echo’s constant nightmares comes back into her life, she has to make some tough decisions about what she really wants — even as foster kid Noah’s search for his last remaining relatives forces them both to confront some serious truths about life, love, and themselves.

Now, with one week left before college orientation, jobs and real life, Echo must decide if Noah's more than the bad-boy fling everyone warned her he'd be. And the last leg of an amazing road trip will turn... seriously epic.

(Goodreads)


We'd lain like this for an hour, maybe two. We've been quiet the whole time, but sometimes we both say more within a silence than we can with hours of words.
If Aires had left at another time or on another day, if Noah had chosen another time to return home the night of the fire or another day to go on that date, would the worst moments of our lives have happened?

Even worse? There's a dark part of me that's grateful for the way life has turned out because without any of that, I wouldn't have the man walking beside me.
"I looked at your penis today so you can talk to me about this."

Noah's eyes widen as they jump to me.

"Yep, I said it." That's right, world, I'm capable of a sexual conversation.
"Are you going to beat your chest next and toss me over your shoulder before killing something with your bare hands for dinner?"

I love that she throws shit back at me without batting an eye. "I'll even start the fire and cook it up."

I'm going to be incredibly honest in the next sentence folks: I almost wish I hadn't read Breaking the Rules. It's not because it is a bad book or because I think Katie has lost her connection with her characters, but because I think I much prefer Pushing the Limits Echo and Noah to Breaking the Rules Echo and Noah.

There seemed to be a lot of drama for the sake of drama and I thought we had gotten past that with these two. Yes, I know they would still have problems, nothing was going to be magically fixed, and they're both still teenagers but . . . it just seemed nonsensical. While Pushing the Limits gave me feels and the hope that these two crazy kids will make it, Breaking the Rules gave me eye rolls, minimal feels, and the feeling that maybe they aren't meant to be. I know! I know.

We still see Echo and Noah make appearances it the series subsequent novels and back in April Katie teased on Facebook that she "might have just typed the phrase 'Noah's fiance, Echo' in Abby and Logan's story, Chasing Impossible" (which gives me super feels!) so I know they're not doomed in the World of McGarry, but Breaking the Rules felt final. Too beginning on the end-ish, even with the happy ending (not a spoiler because we still see them together in the next books).

Katie's writing is wonderful and she knows how to weave a romance, there's no question about that. There are still some of the sweetest moments between Noah and Echo - definitely moments of swoon worthyness. And by the end of Breaking the Rules these two have definitely grown as characters both individually and within their relationship, which is truly a saving grace.

Katie mentioned in a Q&A at the end that she knows all of Noah and Echo's story, but if she were to continue their story we'd be more into adult territory than young adult as we she already toed the line of young adult / adult with this story. Above and beyond my favorite couple of the series, Ryan and Beth are a super close second, I do hope that if she decides to give us another glimpse into their relationship it isn't fraught with unnecessary drama.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...