Thursday, January 14, 2016

Throwback Thursday Book Review: Warm Bodies by Issac Marion

Some of you may know that I originally had my own blog, Beauty but a Funny Girl, prior to joining Bookish (now Bookish Lifestyle). I was thinking the other day about all those reviews I left behind when I transferred and thought they should get some love too - no matter how badly written and newbie they come off! So I present to you: Throwback Thursday Reviews! Every once in a while I'll post an old review from Beauty but a Funny Girl, unedited in terms of content, with the exception of any spelling or grammatical mistakes. It's definitely going to be fun and interesting to see how my tastes and writing style have changed over the years!


Series:
Warm Bodies #1
Genre:
Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance, Zombies, Retelling
Publication.Date:October 28, 2010
Pages:240 (paperback)
Published By:  Vintage
Website:Issac Marion 

Warm Bodies on Goodreads
My review copy:
Borrowed from the library

Where to get:
  



R is having a no-life crisis—he is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he is a little different from his fellow Dead. He may occasionally eat people, but he’d rather be riding abandoned airport escalators, listening to Sinatra in the cozy 747 he calls home, or collecting souvenirs from the ruins of civilization.

And then he meets a girl.

First as his captive, then his reluctant guest, Julie is a blast of living color in R’s gray landscape, and something inside him begins to bloom. He doesn’t want to eat this girl—although she looks delicious—he wants to protect her. But their unlikely bond will cause ripples they can’t imagine, and their hopeless world won’t change without a fight.

(Goodreads)

Originally posted May 13, 2013 on Beauty but a Funny Girl

I’ll be completely honest. I only read Warm Bodies because my brother told me to. (It’s the first book he’s ever recommended I read, so how could I say no?) I am not a fan of zombies. Really, I’m not a fan of anything apocalyptic anyway, makes me sad and want my mommy and daddy.

That being said... I loved Warm Bodies. I found it completely originally and unlike anything I’ve ever read before - aside from the fact that it’s a zombie novel.

First off, Warm Bodies is told from the POV of R, a zombie of unknown age. R “lives” in an airport in a zombie hive. I was very surprised at how normal the hive acted. They had a church, a school (where they taught you how to eat/attack the living), marriages, kids, and “sex.”

They even talk a little. Usually one or two words at a time with long pauses in between. After R meets Julie he’s actually able to get six syllables out in one sentence. I loved R’s one comment about how they talk: “I long for exclamation marks, but I’m drowning in ellipses” (51).

Despite the way they talk aloud, R has no trouble thinking coherently and forming thoughts, which made for beautiful narration.

I didn’t understand why Julie wasn’t so initially afraid. Regardless of a talking zombie, I would still be petrified if a zombie abducted me - for lack of better words - and kept me in his airplane... so the zombies of the airport wouldn’t get me. Never mind this zombie was just part of the group of zombies that ate all my friends, boyfriend included. She was very calm about the whole situation and I thought it weird.

The relationship between R and Julie was very cute and I loved the progression. It’s not every day you see love blossom between a girl and the zombie that just ate her boyfriend.

I very much enjoyed this plot and the characters. It’s not your typical zombie book in that it does and doesn’t feel like one. So if you’re not a fan of zombie (like me), you’d still enjoy this novel. If you are a zombie fan (like my brother), you'd still enjoy this novel. I’m glad my brother recommended it to me and I’m very curious to see what the sequel will be like.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...