Sunday, January 17, 2016

Book Review: Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

 
Series:
Six of Crows #1
Genre:
Young Adult, Fantasy, Mythology
Publication.Date:September 29, 2015
Pages:465 (hardcover)
Published By:  Henry Holt and Company
Website:Leigh Bardugo

Six of Crows on Goodreads
My review copy:
Bought

Where to get:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+kiss+of+deception&sprefix=the+kiss+of+deception%2Caps%2C163 http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-mad-wicked-folly-sharon-biggs-waller/1115700003?ean=9780670014682 http://www.indiebound.org/book/9780670014682



Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Kaz's crew are the only ones who might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.

(Goodreads)


With a great sigh, Jesper removed the gun belts at his hips. She had to admit he looked less himself without them. The Zemeni sharpshooter was long-limbed, brown-skinned, constantly in motion. He pressed his lips to the pearl handles of his prized revolvers, bestowing each with a mournful kiss.

"Take good care of my babies," Jesper said as he handed them over to Dirix. "If I see a single scratch or nick on those, I'll spell forgive me on your chest in bullets."
"It's not right -"

"Wylan," Jesper said, giving him a little shake. "Maybe your tutors didn't cover this lesson, but you do not argue with a man covered in blood and a knife up his sleeve."
Jesper knocked his head against the hull and cast his eyes heavenward. "Fine. But if Pekka Rollins kills us all, I'm going to get Wyaln's ghost to teach my ghost how to play the flute just so that I can annoy the hell out of your ghost."

Brekker's lips quirked. "I'll just hire Matthias' ghost to kick your ghost's ass."

"My ghost won't associate with your ghost," Matthias said primly, and then wondered if the sea air was rotting his brain.
Nina noddly slowly. "Ice Court, remember? Impossible heist? Near death? Three million kruge waiting for you in Ketterdam?"

Kaz blinked and his eyes cleared. "Four million."

"I thought that might bring you around."


I, like many of Leigh Bardugo's fans, was beyond excited for Six of Crows. A new series that takes place within the world of The Grisha? How can I pass that up? I preordered my copy, jumped on the I Can't Wait for This! train and . . .

It's okay.

I don't know if I was affected by the hype or I just didn't enjoy Six of Crows as much as The Grisha series, but it took me a really long time to get in to Six of Crows and even then it was okay. Don't get me wrong, Leigh's writing is just as magical and spot on as ever. This story itself is well thought out and intriguing, but I just wasn't feeling it as deeply as I wished.

I am fully aware when the issue is me and not the book, and this is one of those instances. I'm torn because while I liked Six of Crows, I didn't love it and I feel this is a book I could love . . . eventually. The characters are great, the dialogue witty and humorous, and has ships coming at your left and right. What is wrong with me that I'm not swooning over this book as everybody else?!

Even though I wasn't as awed by this as I felt I could have been, I'm excited to read Crooked Kingdom and continue one with these characters. This time around, I just hope that I won't fall victim to the hype and will truly fall into the story as I did with The Grisha series.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...