Thursday, August 20, 2015

Throwback Thursday Book Review: Entice by Jessica Shirvington

Some of you may know that I originally had my own blog, Beauty but a Funny Girl, prior to joining Bookish (now Bookish Lifestyle). I was thinking the other day about all those reviews I left behind when I transferred and thought they should get some love too - no matter how badly written and newbie they come off! So I present to you: Throwback Thursday Reviews! Every once in a while I'll post an old review from Beauty but a Funny Girl, unedited in terms of content, with the exception of any spelling or grammatical mistakes. It's definitely going to be fun and interesting to see how my tastes and writing style have changed over the years!



Series:
The Violet Eden Chapters #2
Genre:
Young Adult, Romance, Angels, Paranormal
Publication.Date:March 5, 2013
Pages:465 (Kindle)
Published By:  Sourebooks Fire
Website:Jessica Shirvington 

Entice on Goodreads
My review copy:
Bought

Where to get:
 http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/entice-jessica-shirvington/1109328757 http://www.indiebound.org/book/9781402271281



Every day Violet Eden wonders whether she made the right choice.

She still doesn't fully understand the powers she's been granted as a half-angel Grigori. And worse, isn't even sure she's capable of using them. Stab someone through the heart? Really?

No matter how bad things get, though, Voilet doesn't run and she doesn't quit. Even if it means she can never allow herself to love the guy she longs for. Even if it means asking her enemy for help. Even if no one is telling her the truth.

The war between Exiles and Angels is on - and she's wanted by both sides.

(Goodreads)

Originally posted November 25, 2012 on Beauty but a Funny Girl

I'm addicted to this series and I'm angry at the Australians. Well, not angry. Jealous. They already have the third book (it doesn't come out in the US until March) and fourth book (I don't even know when this comes out in the US). I'm not allowing myself to look at the reviews for either of these books - it'll be too cruel.

Anyway, on to the review.

One of my issues with this book is the lack of Phoenix. I know he's the "bad guy," but I love him and I want more of him. (He didn't show up in the novel until page 122 and disappeared until 306, with sporadic appearances from then until the end.) When we first see Phoenix he reveals a very interesting connection between Violet and himself - and I LOVE it. I love this plot element that Shirvington throws into the storyline. So perfect.

Also, you can tell he still has feelings for Violet - and I think she still has feelings for him as well. Violet mentions there are times when she catches his eyes and can see pain/worry/love, etc in his eyes. I mean, if she doesn't want him, I'll take him.

Maybe one of the reasons I'm Team Phoenix is because I can't really see Violet's attraction to Lincoln. I feel ike we don't really see him enough to get it. He was present in the first handful of chapters in Embrace - and we've known Violet liked him before then, with her feelings returned - but then he was pretty much gone until the end of that book. (Ha, I just realized it's like Phoenix and Lincoln switched number of appearances for this book.) We know Lincoln and Violet had this "forbidden love," but I don't see it. The love aspect. Why is she so hung up on him? What makes him such a great guy? I don't get it. *Until I got to page 228 - but I'm not spoiling that :)

Another thing that annoyed me about the Lincoln-relationship is that he would repeatedly tell Violet that they couldn't be together, but then throw out this little line: "I couldn't go through watching someone else...not again." You either want her or you don't! If you two can't be together that's one thing, but don't throw a tantrum when she gravities toward somebody else.

Violet annoyed me in the beginning of the novel. She was so hung up on her feelings for Lincoln and the fact that he was lying again (we know how she feels about lies). I just wanted her to get over him it and do what needs to be done. However, as the book went out she became much more likable and tolerable. As much as her obsession with Lincoln annoyed me, I have to admire her dedication to helping him and protecting him. I also love how he protects her (we see more of this in the later half of the novel than the first half).

Another thing I liked about Entice verses Embrace is Shirvington focused less on the love triangle (unlike I've done here) and more on the mythology of Angels. She brings in aspects of the Bible and talks about Angels influences on things that have happened here. I loved her idea of the Scriptures and how they got to Earth and what happened to them.

This definitely opens the door for the next two books - especially with how she left us hanging at the end: "Interested in a trade... lover?" Oh, Phoneix. Love you!

Over all, I loved this book. I love the addition of the new characters, Steph and Griffin can do no wrong FYI, and I really think Shirvington did a better job of going in depth with the old and new characters, especially in her development of Violet's character. I did feel like the beginning dragged a little bit, but the plot elements and story line were definitely necessary for the storyline and influencing what happens in the latter half of the book.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...