Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins (Review)

Genre:
Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publication Date:  September 29th 2011
Pages:338
Published By:  Dutton Books
WebsiteStephanie Perkins

Lola and the Boy Next Door on Goodreads
My review copy:Bought
Where to get:





Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion...she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit--more sparkly, more fun, more wild--the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.


When Cricket--a gifted inventor--steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.
(Goodreads)


I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.
Sometimes a mistake isn't a what. It's a who.
Life isn't about what you get, it's about what you DO with what you get.
Well, Stephanie Perkins did it again. She has earned her spot on my automatic buy list. I wouldn't say contemporary has a new queen. In my eyes, that spot still belongs to Sarah Dessen. But, Stephanie Perkins is definitely rising to that spot. She definitely knows how to write well and write stories that anyone can relate to. I honestly cannot wait until Isla comes out.

I wouldn't say Lola was better than Anna. I still love Anna A LOT. But Lola I loved just in a different way. Lola was a unique character with a lot of the same problems any teenager would or could go through. She wears crazy outfits and hairstyles and has two dads. I think that was one of my favorite features of this novel was that she had two dads. You don't see that a lot with novels these days. And it is becoming more and more common, so I'm glad that Stephanie included that in her novel. There were times where I wanted to yell and scream at Lola but then she made it up to me at the end.

Lola had a boyfriend at the beginning of the book named Max. So, I knew he wasn't the boy I was going to be fawning over because the blurb states CRICKET. So, naturally, I didn't like Max from the beginning. Yea, he was a musician which is sexy. But then we find out he does pot. And I DO NOT LIKE drugs. At least anything more than caffeine, tobacco, and alcohol. Those I'm okay with but anything above that, no thanks. So, he was no longer sexy in my book.

In comes Cricket. I adored Cricket. I wanted MORE of Cricket. I felt that the reason why I gave this one only 4 flowers was because I just wanted more of Cricket and Lola. Yea, they live next door and talk through the window, but I wanted MORE!!

I was happy that we got to see Anna and St. Clair a bunch in this book, that was super exciting! I also loved getting to know Lola's designing side. It was really cool reading about her clothing designs that she made herself. I also loved the secondary characters a whole lot.

All-in-all, a perfect summer read and you should totally pick up these books, if you haven't already!

Here is my review on Anna and the French Kiss


Blog Twitter Facebook Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...