Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: All Time Favorite Books in X Genre

Top 10 Tuesdays is a weekly meme hosted over at The Broke and The Bookish

This weeks topic:
Favorite Historical Fiction
I LOVE Historical Fiction. Love, love, love it. Something about reading these stories, whether based on nonfiction or not, I just cannot get enough of it! I went through my "historical fiction" shelf on Goodreads and picked some of my favorites that I think you'll really enjoy if your a fan of this genre.

Young Adult

A Darkness Strange and Lovely by Susan Dennard - I was an instant fan of Susan's about halfway though Something Strange and Deadly, if it took that long. I was lucky enough to read it shortly before this novel came out - but unlucky enough that I'm still waiting for Strange and Every After. (Come on July 22!) Eleanor Fitt is definitely a character I can get behind and don't even get me started on my love for Daniel!

In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters - Ghosts, war, disease - what more could a girl want? In a novel anyway. None of those things sound too great in real life. Cat tells an amazing story of a young woman in the grips of one of the worst time periods in America who posseses incredible strength and bravery in a terrify time.

The Wild Wood by Julie Anne Nelson - A strong narrative and powerful words give The Wild Wood five stars in my book. The twist in the middle/end is just shocking enough that you're both blind sided by the events and given clarity at the same time. I'm currently in the middle of the sequel, The Downs, and love it just as much!

The Book Theif by Marcus Zusak - My girlfriend tried to get me to read this in high school and I kept shrugging it off. Finally in college I picked it up and immediately fell in love. I remember I read it in a weekend and called my friend apologizing profusely for waiting so long. Beautiful and heart wrenching story. Part of me thinks it's been the victim of over hype, especially when the movie came out, which I really think I need to get to watching.

Adult

Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain - The story of a young social worker and one her clients, Diane creates a powerful narrative that cannot be ignored. I love the idea of this woman, Jane, standing against everybody, even her new husband, for what she believes in. Based of true events, this story give an in-depth look into the human spirit and integrity of two very different women.

Juliet by Anne Fortier - Told in both present day and flashbacks, Juliet asks the question of "What if Romeo & Juliet was based on a true story and what of the decedents?" I flew through this book and it's one of the rare books that I bought after borrowing it from the library. I couldn't not. It's beyond an interesting story and unbelievably captivating. This novel definitely requires a reread and a formal review!

Kindred by Octavia Butler -I read this book for an English class titled Mulch-Cultural Literature and absolutely loved it. Even some of the high school students loved it - and these were second semester seniors! This fascinating tale is about a modern day African American woman who is mysteriously transported back and forth to the antebellum South. 

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston - Read in Honors English 11, this is a wonderful story about a woman doing her thing. After years of living in her husband's shadow, Janie finally decides to do Janie. Despite the gossip of her small southern town, Janie does whatever she wants and pays no mind to others. She definitely become one of my favorite female characters in literature after reading this beautiful story.

Classic

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell - A favorite of mine - enough said!

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - Ditto!  :)

Now you tell me! Are you are a lover or a hater of historical fiction? Have you read any of these books before? Did you love them or leave them? What are some of your favorite historical novels? Or some books from your favorite genre? Let me know and if you participated in this weeks TTT, be sure to leave me a link!

  
Goodreads Twitter Instagram Google Plus Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...