Sunday, March 2, 2014

Indie Girl March 2014: Featuring Amy Miles

Click here for the rest of the schedule!

Hey everybody! So, today is my spot on the Indie Girl March of 2014 hosted by our lovely Tiffany @  Escaping...One Book @ A Time. This is her annual event and I was so excited to jump in and participate in it! I love indie authors and I love to support them! I decided to take on Amy Miles and I read her first book in her YA Paranormal series: The Arotas Trilogy. So, here's my review!

Genre:
Young Adult, Paranormal, Supernatural, Immortals, Indie
Publication Date:  2011
Pages:300
Published By:  Self-Published
WebsiteAmy Miles

Forbidden on Goodreads
My review copy:Review copy provided by author in return of an honest review
Where to get:


Roseline Enescue didn't ask to become an Immortal, to have all of the guests at her wedding slaughtered, or be forced into marriage with a man whose lust for blood would one day ignite the vampire legend. Willing to risk everything for a chance at a normal life, Roseline escapes to America. Terrified her husband Vladimir will find her, Roseline enrolls as a senior in Chicago's elite Rosewood Prep school. Mingling with humans is the last place he would look for her. But her transition into the human world isn't easy. Mortal men flock after her while cutthroat girls plot her demise. Yet Roseline remains relatively unfazed by the petty hysteria until she falters into the arms of Gabriel Marston, reluctant MVP quarterback, unwilling ladies man, and sensitive artist in hiding. Troubled by the bond that pulls her towards the mortal boy, Roseline tries to ignore him, but Gabriel is persistent. As their lives entwine, Roseline begins to realize that Gabriel is much more than he appears. His ability to toss a football the entire length of the field and grind concrete into dust pales in comparison to the glowing blue cross tattoo that mysteriously appears on his forearms. Despite the forbidden bond between them, Roseline can't help wondering what Gabriel is: He's not human. He's not Immortal. So just what is he?
(Goodreads)

The hunch of her shoulders becomes more pronounced as she forces herself to move at a human pace along the city streets. It is infuriatingly slow.
Sadie is fun, bubbly and her enthusiasm has easily drawn Roseline out of a depressed funk.
The harder she fights the fall, the faster she tumbles out of reason and into love's madness.

So, when I first decided to read this one, I admit, I thought it was going to be about vampires (not that I would have minded, but I know a lot of people are not liking the whole vampire genre, which sucks [pun intended] because I love vampires!). With the first couple paragraphs with all the gore and blood, I thought that it was all vampires. It was a very interesting take that Amy Miles took the vampire lore and turned it into the myths of the "immortals".

I think that Amy Miles did a fantastic job with plot building, character building, and world building. I fell in love with the characters. Especially Roseline's new best friend Sadie. I thought that Sadie was a riot. And I loved going through all of Sadie's different looks/personalities. I felt very connected to Roseline. I really enjoyed her being the main character and I felt for her when she went through the emotions of needing and wanting Gabriel to knowing that she shouldn't feel that way towards him. I think that a lot of girls go through that kind of thing. Especially when it comes to high school. I remember back in high school me and a few of my friends went through the same guys but we all had those feelings of "We shouldn't do this" to feelings of "I can't help who I love." Haven't we all been there at least once in our lives?

I loved Gabriel. He was a genuine guy. Yes, when he first met/saw Roseline he had a girlfriend, but he was still respectful through out the time that he was still hooked with his idiotic, "mean girl," slutty, spoiled girlfriend. Talk about whores, she was the definition of a few girls I knew (and won't name) from high school. But Gabriel, he was genuine, sweet, sexy, kind, caring, loving, compassionate, artistic, and a bit haste with decisions. I think he was a perfect match for Roseline.

I liked the mystery that was going on with Gabriel and I liked how he and Roseline bonded over it. The ending was action packed and left me wanting to know more. It wasn't a cliffhanger, per say, but it left me wanting to jump into the next book, which I shall be doing quite soon. :]

The only thing that could put some people off is the editing. Poor Amy is going through her fourth editor. I feel so bad for her. She just can't seem to find an editor who is willing to actually edit her work. So, don't let the editing/typos stop you from checking this book out. Because if you are into paranormal stories, then you should check it out!


Blog Twitter Facebook Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...