Thank you to all who have signed up for our third Read-A-Long this year, I hope you guys enjoyed reading Divergent and Delirium with us and are having just as much (or more!) fun with Will Grayson, Will Grayson! Today we'll be discussing chapters 1-5 of Will Grayson, Will Grayson!
Before we move on to the discussion questions Rachelia and I have prepared for you, here's a quick re-cap of what happened!
- We meet Will Grayson and learn a little bit about his life and friends (Tiny Cooper). We also meet Jane and learn that Will's feelings for Jane are rather.. complicated.
- We meet the other Will Grayson and learn a bit about his life. We also learn that he lives with his mom and their relationship seems to be very strained. We meet his friend, Maura and get to experience the weird dynamics of their "friendship". We also learn about Isaac, a boy that Will met on-line and got romantically involved with (long-distance romance).
- Will attends GSA meeting, organized to discuss Tiny's musical. Tiny is playing a match-maker, trying to make sure Will and Jane will hook-up. Will tells Jane he is not interested in starting a relationship. Jane helps Will get a fake ID so he can go to a concert.
- Maura asks Will if he's gay. Will doesn't like her being nosy. They get into a fight. Later on, she stops by his house and they work things out, though Will doesn't admit to her that he's gay.
- Will and Isaac decide it's time for them to meet. They pick a date 6 days from now.
- Tiny asks Will to sing in his musical. Later on, together with Tiny and Jane, Will goes to Maybe Dead Cats concert, but doesn't get into the club because of the wrong birth date on his fake ID. He ends up going into an "adult store" to kill time. He buys a magazine called Mano a Mano there.
When I was little, my dad used to tell me, "Will, you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose."
I am constantly torn between killing myself and killing everyone around me. those seem to be the two choices. everything else is just killing time.
i do not say "good-bye". i believe that's one of the bullshittiest words ever invented. it's not like you're given the choice to say "bad-bye" or "awful-bye" or "couldn't-careless-about-you-bye". every time you leave, it's supposed to be a good one, well, i don't believe in that. i believe against that.
everyone in our school has afterschool activities.
mine is going home
sometimes i stop and board for a while in the park, but not in february, not in this witch-twat-frigid chicago suburb (known to locals as naperville). if i go out there now, i'll freeze my balls off. not that i'm putting them to any use whatsoever, but i still like to have them, just in case.
You like someone who can't like you back because unrequited love can be survived in a way that once-requited love cannot.
Discussion Schedule for March: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
- 3/8: Chapters 1-5 (hosted @ Bookish)
- 3/15: Chapters 6-10 (hosted @ Bookish Comforts)
- 3/22: Chapters 11-15 (hosted @ Bookish)
- 3/29: Chapters 16-20 (hosted by @ Bookish Comforts)