Wednesday, November 2, 2011

New Blog Feature: Thinking About Fairy Tales - Coming 01.2012

I've been thinking about starting this new (and hopefully totally awesome) feature for my blog ever since I saw this video:




Pretty cool, huh? :)

Thinking About Fairy Tales will be a bi-weekly feature. I will be focusing on one Fairy Tale at a time, explaining the origins, talking about different variations and - of course - spotlighting and recommending related books and retellings.

What do we consider a Fairy Tale? According to Wikipedia "a Fairy Tale is a type of short narrative that typically features such folkloric characters, such as fairies, goblins, elves, trolls, dwarves, giants or gnomes, and usually magic or enchantments. (...) In cultures where demons and witches are perceived as real, fairy tales may merge into legends, where the narrative is perceived both by teller and hearers as being grounded in historical truth. However, unlike legends and epics, they usually do not contain more than superficial references to religion and actual places, people, and events; they take place once upon a time rather than in actual times." For the sake of the Thinking About Fairy Tales feature, lets also add mythology and all sorts of legends, alright?

I will start posting Thinking About Fairy Tales in January 2012. You can expect to see it twice a month, every month :) 

Here's what I need your help with!!!
I have plenty of ideas as to which Fairy Tales to feature, I just can't make up my mind what to start with. Would you please help me decide by voting on the poll below? :) Much appreciated! 








If you have other suggestions - please feel free to leave a comment! I am open to literally ANYTHING, mythology, fables, tales, legends, even urban legends :) I can't wait to hear what your suggestions are and what you think about this upcoming feature :)

MUAH! <3

10 comments:

Andra Lyn said...

Cool :) If you wanna have a guest post COUGH COUGH *Me!* COUGH COUGH for one of them that could be cool too :P

Evie said...

:) That would be awesome! Just let me know what would you be interesting in guest posting about and we could definitely do that! :) I'd love that!

Chen Yan Chang said...

Wow, I'm so excited to see this feature! I'm such a fan of fairy tales! I even have a "Fairy Tale Friday" posts on my blog based on whatever fairy tale topic I felt like doing that day :P

I can't wait till January!

Bleuette said...

Awesone idea, wish I thought of it! Big fan of fairy tales, I bought a pretty cool volume of the Grimm's Brothers' Complete fairy tales and I am loving them! ooh, you should do a feature of the original Little Mermaid tale by Hans Christian Andersen, I absolutely LOVED the story nothing like the Disney movie. Can't wait to see your posts! :)

Bonnie @ A Backwards Story said...

This sounds like so much fun! Will others be able to join in like a meme, or will you ever want guest posters? I've been wanting to do something with fairy tales :)

Evie said...

Hi guys~ thank you for the positive response! Thanks to your support I'm even more excited to start this feature! :D

@Bonnie - I am definitely open to guest posts or guest reviews or anything, really :) I haven't thought about doing this in a meme-sort of thing, but that's something worth considering for sure! It could be so much fun if we all get together and do this!!!
:D

@Maria - I will check out Little Mermaid soon! You got me intrigued :) I would love for you to join the forces with me on this, too! :D

@Chen Yan Cheng - Fairy Tale Friday sounds like so much fun~ I will head over to your blog and check it out right away! Maybe we could somehow connect our features or join forces? :) I'd love that!

Andrea @ Cozy Up said...

Evie, this sounds like an amazing idea! I love fairy tales. I think this will be so interesting, different variations, for which there are so many too! Good luck with this and I will help in whatever way I can :)

Chen Yan Chang said...

@Evie Oh, that would be fun!

eden.kaye said...

Little Red Riding Hood! (It's what my blog is named after, well that and one of my numerous nicknames is Little Red)

xo Stephanie
http://little-red-reads.blogspot.com/

Ashton Amo said...

Beauty and the Beast - Beauty and the Beast - Beauty and the Beast - Beauty and the Beast - Beauty and the Beast - Beauty and the Beast and did i mention......Beauty and the Beast???/ =D great idea for a feature!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...