Monday, May 26, 2014

Teardrop by Lauren Kate (Review)



Genre:
Paranormal, Mythology,YA
Publication Date:October 22, 2013
Pages:441
Published By:  Delacorte Books for Young Readers
WebsiteTeardrop on Goodreads

Lauren Kate Website
My review copy: From Random House Canada for honest review

Where to get:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-ring-and-the-crown-melissa-de-la-cruz/1116342736?ean=9781423157427
http://www.indiebound.org/book/9781423157427
http://www.amazon.com/Ring-Crown-Melissa-Cruz-ebook/dp/B00HEVTPHC/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1398024500



Never, ever cry... Seventeen-year-old Eureka won't let anyone close enough to feel her pain. After her mother was killed in a freak accident, the things she used to love hold no meaning. She wants to escape, but one thing holds her back: Ander, the boy who is everywhere she goes, whose turquoise eyes are like the ocean. And then Eureka uncovers an ancient tale of romance and heartbreak, about a girl who cried an entire continent into the sea. Suddenly her mother's death and Ander's appearance seem connected, and her life takes on dark undercurrents that don't make sense. Can everything you love be washed away?(Goodreads)




 Spectacular, Compelling Beginning.

I have read Lauren Kate's Fallen series and enjoyed it, so I was excited to start Teardrop. What I didn't expect was to fall for this book as hard I did. Lauren Kate's masterful and beautiful writing entranced me from start to finish. This book took what I though Lauren Kate could do and elevated her to new levels, take more than the next step. The Fallen novels drew me in, I would be lying if I told you otherwise but Teardrop has me completely addicted.

The world building and pacing in this book...well there are no words for it. The creativity, beauty and unique way the tale is spun, made for the type of book I just did not want to put down. The execution of the book was almost perfect, flowing from start to finish beautifully. The few flaws that I found lay not within the plot or the pacing and honestly going on those things alone would have made the book perfect. There is a spectacularly woven tale laying between the covers of this book and I regret not picking it up sooner, so I could have lived in its beauty longer. I enjoyed the fact that I didn't know how it was all going to for the first while and that by the end I had developed a hunger for the answers. There is so much to love plot and pacing wise in this read. Even if you are hesitant of the premise, give it a shot for the

Eureka is a wall. I felt for her and the fact that she was taught to never let anything show, more specifically she was not to cry. However, holding in one emotion leads to another and before you know it, you have closed yourself off. This does not mean that she didn't care but more that she was told she was never to cry. This always seemed easy but things are changing. If losing her mother wasn't bad enough she has to now deal with a mysterious boy that is coming off like a stalker. All things considered, I do feel that Kate created a realistic response for a teenage girl, that is in the position that Eureka is in. I mean as a teen I'm not sure I would have been telling anyone and with all of the mysterious happenings. Was she the perfect character? No, but did I like her? Sometimes/mostly... However, what I did like was the detail and depth in her character. It was clear that Kate crafted this character carefully and I could appreciate that.

The romance may be where some people get a little lost or turned off. Yes, there is in fact a mostly love triangle going on. Yes, Eureka likes more than one guy, but she is a teenage girl that is just discovering her friends attraction and has a mysterious stranger floating around (not literally). No matter what we all say, triangles happen and we all have hormones and I may not always get it but I can appreciate it sometimes. In the cause of Eureka, Brooks and Ander, I am left wondering exactly what I hope is going to happen. Brooks seems stable and he genuinely seems to give a crap. With Ander, I know he cares but I am not sure what exactly his angle is. However, Ander has the mysterious, dark and dangerous thing going on for sure that will draw so many towards him. Basically what I am saying is that I may have had my nit pick moments with the romance, but overall I am so excited and hopeful for it!

Teardrop was a creative and unique read. Lauren Kate crafted a world with characters that people (people like me) will easily slip into. Waterfall cab seriously not come fast enough and I can only imagine how stunning its cover will be. If you are looking for something fun, unique and captivating I would recommend this read. If you are a current Lauren Kate fan, this book is NOT to be missed!!




Goodreads Twitter Blog Instagram Facebook Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...