Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Musical Musings: Discover Weekly

Musical Musings is a new feature where I'll be talking about music! There'll be two posts a month---the first of which (like this one!) will be about some random musical topic, and the second post of the month will be a recap of my month in music. To learn more about this feature and whatnot, click here to check out my introduction post! :)

Discover Weekly

Despite my desire to do better at being consistent with Musical Musings posts this year, I've been failing. Terribly. And I'd like to sit here and say I have no idea why, that I've tried and can't figure out what's wrong so I can get over it, but I've got to be real here...I know exactly what my issue is. HAMILTON. Yeah, I said it. Hamilton is the reason I've been lacking with Musical Musings posts. Or at least, that's the excuse I'm using.

You see, I've been all caught up in Hamilton since the end of February/beginning of March. And if you know anything about Hamilton, you know that when you become a fan, you don't just become a fan. No, it takes over your LIFE. You listen to it all the time, learn all the words, watch everything you can find from the cast on YouTube...this list could go on for a good long while, but I think my point is made: It's a consuming obsession.

And I'm not COMPLAINING. Not at all. Not even a little bit. I love Hamilton. I'm not even close to sick of any of it.

But that's also the problem. I'm stuck in Hamilton and not sick of any of the songs and listening to it all the time. How am I supposed to make different posts for this feature each month if my usual twist and turn of musical moods has frozen? If all I'm doing is listening to the same songs from the same musical constantly? I've already done a Hamilton post---so what do I do now?

Do you see my dilemma? I've been trying to figure out what to post about and every month, I've drawn a blank.

UNTIL THIS MONTH. Because to listen to Hamilton, I often use Spotify. Y'all know how I'm a fan of that little bugger. And if you've been on Spotify, you may have noticed that handy dandy "Discover Weekly" playlist that updates each week with new songs Spotify thinks you'll like. WELP, I'm a fan of that playlist. And every week, I give it some attention. While a majority of my musical listening is still very much wrapped up in a musical about the ten dollar founding father without a father, I do take some time to listen to the songs on my Discover Weekly that spark my interest and save them to my Songs. (Then I go right back to my Hamilton playlist, of course.)

So I thought for this week, it'd be kind of cool or fun or whatever you wish to call it to share some of those songs I've found or remembered through Discover Weekly. Okay? Okay.

Come On Get Higher - Matt Nathanson

I distinctly remember this song being really popular the summer after I read Twilight. So now it's attached to all kinds of Twilight-obsessed memories (watching anything with one of the actors in it...reading the books a bajillion times...), but I also was just a huge fan of this song. It's light and fun and I was so glad to see it pop up on my Discover playlist--ESPECIALLY now that it's summer. Wonderful song and perfect timing. I love it.

Puppy Love - This Wild Life

I'd never heard of this song or artist before it showed up in my playlist, and I didn't even intend to listen to THIS song. I was listening to something else on the playlist and then the song ended and it shuffled over to this one--and I'm glad it did. This song is so cute. It reminds me of my early high school days when my friend Kayla and I found all kinds of cute songs like this and quoted them at each other. (Now that I'm thinking about this, I should do a post about those cute songs sometime! And I should send Kayla this song.) I'll definitely be looking into more songs by This Wild Life, and I'm seriously looking forward to it.

Chariot - Gavin DeGraw

Aww, this song! It's so old. I don't even remember when I heard it for the first time, but I know that my mom enjoyed it and that rubbed off on me. Chariot was on my first burned CD. My first MP3 player, too. It's so near and dear to my heart.

Stay - Mayday Parade

I hadn't heard this song before it showed up in my Discover playlist and, quite frankly, that is ridiculous. There is not a single Mayday Parade song that I haven't loved, so WHY have I not sifted through all of their songs yet? I need to get on that because this band is serious favorite material.

Sons & Daughters - The Decemberists

I recognized the name of the band, but I don't recall ever hearing this particular song before. Once I clicked play to hear it, though, I automatically saved it to my Spotify song collection. There's just something about the SOUND that I adore. I need to listen to this song on repeat ASAP so I can learn all the words because I am such a fan.

What A Catch, Donnie - Fall Out Boy

I've been a fan of Fall Out Boy for a WHILE. So it's not like this song was new to me. The exact opposite, actually. But it'd been a long while since I listened to it and it set me off to realize how long it'd been since I listened to A LOT of Fall Out Boy's song, so after listening to this twice I went on a Fall Out Boy song saving spree and I regret nothing. This particular song is one of my favorites by them. I could sing along to it all day. (Bonus: Elton John!)

White Blank Page - Mumford & Sons

Another band that I have not disliked a song by, yet for some reason I still haven't raided everything I can find by them. What is wrong with me? This song is fabulous! It's beautiful and it makes my ears happy and I'm so glad it popped up on my playlist. Now I just need to go through everything by Mumford & Sons and add a lot more of their work to my collection because I love it so much.

So those are a few songs that I've come across in my Discover Weekly playlist!

Now I'd LOVE to hear from you! Do you use Spotify? Do you check out your Discover Weekly playlist? Have you found any gems--either new to you or old? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...