Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Musical Musings: Hamilton!


Musical Musings is a new feature where I'll be talking about music! There'll be two posts a month---the first of which (like this one!) will be about some random musical topic, and the second post of the month will be a recap of my month in music. To learn more about this feature and whatnot, click here to check out my introduction post! :)


Hamilton

Oh, yes, my dear friends. It is time for me to gush at you about Hamilton. Or, more accurately, TRY to gush at you about Hamilton because my feelings for Hamilton are kind of like this:

*flails*
*cries*
GEROFNAS:LNMFASKBCDIFNO:QWEMF:EKWGVNKLEDSNCL:DA
*runs around screaming*
*sees Lin-Manuel Miranda's name*
*cries some more*
*dies*

Yeah. I'm a crazy, fangirling mess. BUT I LOVE HAMILTON SO TODAY I AM GOING TO TALK ABOUT IT.

First of all, have you heard of Hamilton? ...the answer is probably yes. If it's not yes, then...how? People have been raving about it for MONTHS. But if you do not know, Hamilton is a musical written by Lin-Manuel Miranda based on the life of Alexander Hamilton. (Hence the title...Hamilton)

I have not seen the play or anything (goodness, I wish), but I have listened to the soundtrack, which is up on Spotify. You can totally search it there or you can click HERE for my Hamilton playlist. It's literally every song on the soundtrack. Literally. Because every song is freaking GOLD. And of course I have favorites, which I'm going to talk about in just a moment. But first, I am going to quickly walk you through my personal Hamilton experience.

As I said before, people have been raving about Hamilton for MONTHS. I'd seen it around Twitter, but I wasn't tempted enough to look it up or anything. I didn't even really understand what it was. It seemed like a weird obsession some people had. Then I went to Pierce Brown's signing in February with my friend Mary and as we waited in line (the very, very long line), she kept making Hamilton references. Of course I asked about it and she explained the play to me. I said I'd have to look up the soundtrack sometime. And then I didn't. But THEN I went to Apollycon in Savannah, where my friend katue had the radio in her rental car set up to start playing Hamilton whenever she started the car. She wasn't pushing it in my face or anything---it was just lowkey playing in the background while we talked and stuff. But it was music and I'm me, so of course I focused in on it. And DEAR GOODNESS. It was so catchy. And so I of course asked katue about it, and she told me even MORE about Hamilton. This time, when I went home I actually looked up the soundtrack.

Best. Life. Decision.

Honestly and truly, I am so glad I listened to it. It is amazing and I adore it and I am obsessed. Which means you should give it a listen so we can be obsessed together and talk about it!

So now, for some of my favorite songs from Hamilton...



My Shot

I've decided I'm going to go in chronological order with this. So first up on this list---My Shot. This one has actually been stuck in my head lately. It is catchy and upbeat and "I'm just like my country; I'm young, scrappy, and hungry." Ahhhhhhh sooooo goooooooood. ...yeah, I can't think of anything else to say. This will probably happen a lot in this post. Sorry? It's so hard to put words to my love for these songs!!!




Right Hand Man

This is such a big, important song. And it gets me all happy pants every time. I can't listen to it without singing along. (Ha, as if I don't do that for this entire album.) I feel like the only way to say anything here is to quote it. Like "Rise up!" and "Here comes the general!" and "The pride of Mount Vernon... It's WASHINGTON!" It's amazing. Listen to it.




That Would Be Enough

I love this song. It is lovely. Phillipa Soo (Eliza in Hamilton) has such a beautiful voice, and this song is just gaaaaaahhhhhhh. I think I'm extra emotional about it because of how it is referenced later (It's Quiet Uptown...) and the general significance. Have I mentioned that I love it? It's so pretty!




Guns and Ships

Lafayette. Rapping. I feel like that's enough said, yeah? EVERYONE GIVE IT UP FOR AMERICA'S FAVORITE FIGHTING FRENCHMAN!!!




Yorktown

After putting Guns and Ships on this list, I'm kind of hesitant to add Yorktown, too, but I couldn't help myself. More Lafayette (I freaking LOVE Lafayette). More catchy-ness. More "Hey, yo, I'm just like my country; I'm young, scrappy, and hungry." Plus, "Immigrants, we get the job done" and "HERCULES MULLIGAN!!!!" ...Does that seem like gibberish? *whispers* listen to the song do it do it do it




What Comes Next?

Everything King George is absolute GOLD, but I chose this one in particular because of the fun sarcastic part where he goes, "You're on your own. Awesome! Wow!" I find it hilarious. There's also a catchy "da-da-da-da-da" thing that I looooove.




Dear Theodosia

This song is sweet and beautiful and it slays me every single time. Especially knowing what happens with Hamilton's son later in the play. Just...all the tears. And Burr with his daughter? Goodness. *dies* (I was going to quote the song in this explanation, but then I couldn't pick a part and realized if I did then I'd end up quoting the entire thing which isn't necessary when you can just listen yourself)




Burn

I've skipped a lot, but it was kind of necessary since there are 46 songs on this soundtrack. They ALL deserve a listen, but I need to condense this list to a reasonable size somehow. Burn makes this spot because it is more of Phillipa Soo's beautiful voice and a slower song that kills me. I mean.... "You built me palaces out of paragraphs, you built cathedrals." And the emotion put into this song... I can't even.




It's Quiet Uptown

I. Cry. Every. Time. This is questionably my favorite song in Hamilton. (I say questionably because I change my mind often. It's so hard to choose!) It is lovely, and I enjoy how it has pieces of past songs in it (That Would Be Enough, Dear Theodosia). And again, SIGNIFICANCE. Loooooove. *cries*




Your Obedient Servant

There's something about this song that has me so obsessed with it. Maybe it's how different the tone is from those around it? It's more fun and makes me giggle. Which is weird because it's them leading up to their duel. But still, I love it. The "A. Burr" and "A. Ham" wins for me every time.




Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story

The song that brings it all together and wraps everything up. This was the one I'd most heard people crying for before I gave the soundtrack a listen myself, and at first I didn't get it. I was so caught up in Stay Alive - Reprise and It's Quiet Uptown and The World Was Wide Enough, which were more obvious tearjerkers to me. But I've finally gotten to the point where I GET IT. And it slays me. Every time Eliza sings about the orphanage... ahhhhhh.



So that's all I'm going to say about Hamilton...for now. These were some of my favorite songs on the soundtrack, but I could have easily listed five more songs AT LEAST. And they would have been hard choices, too, because all of these songs are beyond words magnificent. I seriously, strongly recommend giving them a listen, whether you like musicals or not. It's a good life decision!!! ;)


Now I'd LOVE to hear from you! What do you think of Hamilton? What do you think of my list of favorites? Which songs are your favorite? Let me know in the comments!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...