Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Monday, April 11, 2016

Audiobook Review: Landry Park by Bethany Hagen

Series:
Landry Park #1
Genre:
Young Adult, Romance, Science Fiction
Publication.Date:February 14, 2014
Pages:audiobook
Published By:  Dial
Website:Bethany Hagen 

Landry Park on Goodreads
My review copy:
Borrowed from local library

Where to get:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Internment-Chronicles-Lauren-DeStefano/dp/1442480610/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1429180888 http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/perfect-ruin-lauren-destefano/1114764018?ean=9781442480636 http://www.indiebound.org/book/9781442480636



Downton Abbey meets The Selection in this dystopian tale of love and betrayal

In a fragmented future United States ruled by the lavish gentry, seventeen-year-old Madeline Landry dreams of going to the university. Unfortunately, gentry decorum and her domineering father won't allow that. Madeline must marry, like a good Landry woman, and run the family estate. But her world is turned upside down when she discovers the devastating consequences her lifestyle is having on those less fortunate. As Madeline begins to question everything she has ever learned, she finds herself increasingly drawn to handsome, beguiling David Dana. Soon, rumors of war and rebellion start to spread, and Madeline finds herself and David at the center of it all. Ultimately, she must make a choice between duty - her family and the estate she loves dearly - and desire.

(Goodreads)


Inspired by Nikki @ http://www.therewerebooksinvolved.com, instead of reviewing a book I have chosen to DNF, I will do something more along the lines of a discussion. I love how Nikki approached this rare occurrence with a Q&A rather than a full out review and, with her blessing, adopted it as my go-to method for DNFs.

So, you added Landry Park to your DNF pile. How much of it did you read - did you really give it a chance? 

Since this was an audiobook I'm not entirely sure how much I read in terms of page numbers or percentage, but I did read the first 12 chapters. So in my mind, that was a fair amount of reading.

What made you pick up it in the first place? Were you looking forward to it or did it just pop up by chance?

I'm a lover of Downtown Abbey and anything with pretty dresses. Yes, if publishers put a pretty dress on the cover, I've gotta check out the story. I'd had it on my TBR list for a while and when the sequel, Jubilee Manor, came out and sounded all the more intriguing, I moved it up on the list.

What ultimately made you stop reading after 12 chapters? Was there anything you liked about the book?

I didn't feel like anything was happening. Twelve chapters in and nothing as going on. There were a few instances here and there, but nothing terribly plot grasping. It kind of felt like the "nothing" of Downton Abbey, but at least with that I have actors, costumes, and sets.

Bethany does a nice job of creating this alternate future and describing Madeline's world, so that was a plus of the novel. I also appreciated Madeline's desire to go to school instead of just marrying "for the estate."

Would you still recommend it to anyone?

Always. I will always say you should give a book a chance as no two readers are alike.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...