Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Musical Musings: Kicking Off 2016

Musical Musings is a new feature where I'll be talking about music! There'll be two posts a month---the first of which (like this one!) will be about some random musical topic, and the second post of the month will be a recap of my month in music. To learn more about this feature and whatnot, click here to check out my introduction post! :)

It's 2016!

I know, we're getting farther into January and the new year should be setting in. But this is my first substantial Musical Musings post of the year! Not including my 2015 recap, of course, since it was very focused on, ya know, 2015. I've been trying to figure out what I want to talk about in this post, but I keep changing my mind. So I'm thinking of maybe having this be something of a stream of consciousness, and just jump around to the topics on my mind. It'll mostly just be me yapping your ear off about what's on my mind, and not so much a description of what my tastes currently are, because that's what the last post of the month is for.

Does that make any sense? Hopefully it does! If not, keep reading and maybe it will?

Looking Forward...

One thing I really wanted to do in this post was give a kind of overview of what I'm thinking about for this year, Musical Musings-wise. Obviously I can't predict what music I'll be in the mood for (well, for the most part, anyway. But we all know when The Voice comes back, I'll be all over that, and when Christmas comes around, I'll be all over that, and there's a couple more things that are kind of a given, but that's not the point...)

I can't predict what I'll be in the mood for. But I can talk about the posts I KNOW I want to write this year. Like I know I want to write at least one or two specific book to song/artist connections that bloom in my mind. Things like how Paramore's album Brand New Eyes always makes me think of The Vampire Diaries. I'd love to talk about that! Or how Ho Hey by The Lumineers instantly brings Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck to mind. There's a reason for these things, and I want to share them with you.

I also want to do more favorites posts--at the very least a part two of my favorite artists and maybe one full post about a favorite band of mine. I know I discuss favorite artists IN the favorite artist posts, but when I give a specific band or artist an entire post of their own, there's so much more room to go in depth about my thoughts on them and whatnot.

Lastly, I want to say here and now that I am aiming to not fall behind on Musical Musings this year. I did great last year until the last couple of months, so I can totally do it. I just need to...well, I just need to do it. Yeah, that sentence totally made sense. But you get what I mean, right? Accountability starts right here, right now. BAM. (Oh dear, I feel like I just jinxed myself...)

Remember the Titans

This falls in line with another post I am seriously aiming to write this year, and that is a post about my love for the soundtrack to Remember the Titans. It's my favorite movie AND my favorite movie soundtrack. Maybe I'm biased because I love the movie so much, but the music within it is seriously awesome. There's Temptations, CCR, and even a dash of James Taylor---plus MORE. I love it so much. So I totally want to talk about that. It's especially on my mind now after seeing Denzel get that award at the Golden Globes. I'm a fan of him in general, so seeing him awarded was amazing, but also THAT MONTAGE. I legit cried a little. And the Remember the Titans quotes!

Ahhhh yeah, definitely on my mind now. I need to wait until I can watch it again, though. Who knows, maybe next month for the Super Bowl? We shall see!

Summer Girl

I'm considering writing an entire post about this sometime, but for now I'll just talk to you about it here real quick and put this on your radar. You may or may not remember last year's TBR Pile Challenge Readalong of The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. You know, where I fell in love with the first book of the Raven Cycle and fangirled all over the place? Well, that was not the first time I've fangirled over something by Maggie Stiefvater. I also LOVE (like, LOOOOOOOOVE) The Scorpio Races. And I am also a lover of her Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy (I'm still in denial about Sinner...I'll get to it sometime...). In that series, the first book specifically---Shiver---the main guy, Sam, plays the guitar and writes music. He has this one song called Summer Girl that's pretty nice.

Or, at least, I thought it was PRETTY NICE when I read the book, way back in the day. Since then, two or three people have adapted it into an actual song that we can listen to. I don't know much about these, nor have I given them all a lot of listening. I don't prefer them all equally.

Actually...I just adore one above all the others. I haven't found it anywhere but on YouTube, in a video where Maggie Sharpies a guitar. It plays while she draws, and it. Is. Beautiful. And I am 100% talking about the song here. (I mean, the guitar is nice, too, but THAT SONG THO.)

I've been in love with this version for a while, but I've had a serious hankering to listen to it on repeat lately. It's beautiful and sweet and I truly adore it to pieces. Give it a listen and tell me what you think?

And that's what's been on my mind! There's probably more I'm forgetting now, but I'll put that in another post at another time, I'm sure. For now, though, I need to start getting myself together for my January wrap-up. I haven't made a Spotify playlist in a while...heck, I'm not even sure what I would put on one for this month... I've been so indecisive lately! Which you could probably tell from this mashup of a post. But I hoped you enjoyed it!

Kicking 2016 off with a dose of random, just the way I like it.

Now I'd LOVE to hear from you! Is there anything you'd like me to post about this year? What have you been listening to so far this year? Have you seen Remember the Titans? (If you haven't, you totally SHOULD!) Did you listen to Summer Girl? What did you think?!! Let me know your thoughts!!! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...