Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

ARC Book Review: Ash & Bramble by Sarah Prineas


Series:
Standalone
Genre:
Young Adult, Retelling, Fairytale, Romance
Publication.Date:September 15, 2015
Pages:464 (ARC eBook)
Published By:  HarperTeen
Website:Sarah Prineas 

Ash & Bramble on Goodreads
My review copy:
Received from publisher in exchange for an honest review

Where to get:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Internment-Chronicles-Lauren-DeStefano/dp/1442480610/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1429180888 http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/perfect-ruin-lauren-destefano/1114764018?ean=9781442480636 http://www.indiebound.org/book/9781442480636



When the glass slipper just doesn’t fit…

The tale of Cinderella has been retold countless times. But what you know is not the true story.

Pin has no recollection of who she is or how she got to the Godmother’s fortress. She only knows that she is a Seamstress, working day in and out to make ball gowns fit for fairy tales. But she longs to forsake her backbreaking servitude and dares to escape with the brave young Shoemaker.

Pin isn’t free for long before she’s captured again and forced to live the new life the Godmother chooses for her—a fairy tale story, complete with a charming prince—instead of finding her own happily ever after.

Sarah Prineas’s bold fairy tale retelling is a dark and captivating world where swords are more fitting than slippers, young shoemakers are just as striking as princes, and a heroine is more than ready to rescue herself before the clock strikes midnight.

(Goodreads)


Inspired by Nikki @ http://www.therewerebooksinvolved.com, instead of reviewing a book I have chosen to DNF, I will do something more along the lines of a discussion. I love how Nikki approached this rare occurrence with a Q&A rather than a full out review and, with her blessing, adopted it as my go-to method for DNFs.

So, you added Ash & Bramble to your DNF pile. How much of it did you read - did you really give it a chance? 

Always, always. I read 25% (essentially 116 pages) of Ash & Bramble. I normally tap out around 50 pages, but since this one was rather long I felt I needed to give it a bit more time to pull me in.

What made you pick up it in the first place? Were you looking forward to it or did it just pop up by chance?
I'm a huge sucker for a good retelling, especially a Cinderella one. I've heard good things about it so I was excited to try this one out too! Plus, that cover is pretty (even if the model's proportions seem a bit off) and I'm always drawn in by a well made cover.

What ultimately made you stop reading after 25%? Was there anything you liked about the book?

I just wasn't really drawn into the story. I felt like the first part dragged (when Pin and Shoe are in Godmother's factory) and I was hoping once she got into the Cinderella portion of the story I'd be more into it. Unfortunately, I wasn't.

However, I really enjoy Sarah's writing and story telling. She does weave a rather interesting story with the Godmother and how fairytales are made / given their Happily Ever After. I think she has a really interesting spin on fairytales and not just on Cinderella.

Would you still recommend it to anyone?

I always recommend books I don't finish. Just because it's not my thing, doesn't mean it can't be yours. I see the appeal and I think a lot of readers out there will really enjoy Ash & Bramble.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...