Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Musical Musings: Obsessive October

Musical Musings is a new feature where I'll be talking about music! There'll be two posts a month---the first of which will be about some random musical topic, and the second post of the month (like this one!) will be a recap of my month in music. To learn more about this feature and whatnot, click here to check out my introduction post! :)

This Month's Playlist

October was yet another crazy busy month and I'm starting to think this busy streak has nothing to do with me or adjusting but just with this semester in general. Which isn't terrible or anything, but it means that I end up with less time to focus on things I plan. Like the random Musical Musings post for this month. I had this post planned about performances I've LOVED on The Voice, you know, since another season has started and I'm really into it. It was either going to be my favorite performances I've seen or contestants I've loved, one or the other. And I was so excited to write it... but I never ended up having the time. I've run into this in lots of areas, including reading. Honestly, how many books I've read in the past couple of months is down to saddening levels.

Which brings me to what THIS month was like in music. And by that I mean, it was fragmented. Even more so than last month. I do have a Spotify playlist, called Paul (because I've been into Twilight fanfiction lately, and imprint stuff is pretty much my absolute favorite) which you can click to check out. But the tricky thing about this playlist is that it doesn't have everything. It does have a majority of what this month was (since I just went in and added a couple Regina Spektor songs I have been playing on repeat) but it's not the bread and butter of my month.

BECAUSE, as my random post was going to illustrate, I've been all over The Voice lately. To be specific, I've been kind of obsessed with Korin Bukowski. She's my favorite contestant this season. Ever since her battle round, where she performed Samson by Regina Spektor (with Chase Kerby, but sorry bro, not relevant here), I have been ALL OVER her. I went back and caught her blind audition, which I now love, and I am rooting for her so hard. And I've been listening to Samson more than anything ever since. Both the live version and the studio version and Regina Spektor's original version. Because, as I said, I am OBSESSED.

I've been into other performances, too, but I'll stop droning here and get into my favorite songs this month, where the other memorable performances (for me, at least) will totally be.

Top Six Songs of the Month

Samson - Chase Kerby & Korin Bukowski (cover) 

The subject of my obsession. RIGHT HERE. I'm going to link both the live performance and the studio version below because the live version was what won me over. I've been a fan of Regina Spektor for a while now (I want to say since like 2009? But I'm not sure and it honestly does not matter anyway), so when Gwen said she assigned them a song by Regina I was like HECK TO THE YES LET'S DO THIS. I expected it to be good, but I so did not expect to fall in love with it the way I have. What gets me about it is Korin's voice. It's stunning and beautiful and honest and I could listen to it all day. (And I have. The repeat button has learned to hate me, y'all.) Her falsetto...AHHH her falsetto. Love. It. So gorgeous. And then the studio version is, of course, more polished, and a little bit longer, so it's totally worth a listen (or, if you're me, like a million).

Performance / Studio Version

Samson - Regina Spektor

Because of course once I was caught up in Korin and Chase's version, I HAD to go back and listen to the original song, too. And goodness gracious, I love it. It's such a deep, sad song. And Regina's Spektor's voice is truly like no other. I love it so much. The words, the sound, the entire song. LOVE.

Riptide - Madi Davis & Sydney Rhame (cover)

The actual battle for this was montaged, so I have no idea what the performance was like, but I don't care because this studio version is everything. I've loved this song for a while, and I know I've mentioned it before. I don't know if I like this version more than Vance Joy's or what, but I do know that I am incredibly fond of THIS. I mean, listen to it! Isn't that amazing? Of course I'm going to listen to it on repeat in between versions of Samson. OF COURSE.

Fortunate Son - Creedence Clearwater Revival

To me, it feels like this song has been EVERYWHERE. Like, first it was just in my head. I needed to listen to it. And then it started popping up places! That preview for that one movie... I believe it is Our Brand is Crisis, but I could be wrong. And then The Voice. And it's been on the radio once or twice. It's everywhere! Luckily, I love it. CCR is one of my favorite bands, so I'm not complaining about this. And may I take this moment to say that I totally FREAKED OUT about John Fogerty being an adviser on The Voice this season? Ahhh! I don't think I was really surprised, mostly because he performed with Sawyer last season, so clearly he was in contact with the show, but STILL. I SQUEALED.

Stitches - Shawn Mendes

Did Shawn Mendes start out on the internet and then branch from there? Because I originally know him from the internet. I think I first saw him in vines. I've always thought he was a cool dude. And then one night I was in the car with my dad picking up my brother from a school football game (which he was attending, not playing in, ha) and this song came on. I liked the sound, so I looked it up AND SAW THAT IT WAS SHAWN MENDES. I am so happy for him! Like, he's on the radio! So cool! Plus, this song is great. I enjoy it bunches and bunches.

Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Celeste Betton & Mark Hood (cover)

At some point, I'm going to do an entire post about the Remember the Titans soundtrack because it is my favorite. It has so many artists and songs I adore. If you've ever seen the movie (you should--it's my #1 favorite!), you definitely know this song. So of course this SONG is near and dear to my heart. But this PERFORMANCE in particular? Ohmysweetgoodness, I was BLOWN AWAY. I have to guess that there weren't steals when this battle was recorded because how else would Celeste not get stolen?! I agree that Mark won the battle, but how else could the coaches let Celeste go home??? So yeah. This was the first battle I got obsessed with this season. And then Samson happened and I got carried away with that, but THIS BATTLE. Beyond words amazing. Seriously, I just cannot. Give it a listen, y'all! I'm not including the studio version this time because I without a doubt prefer the live performance. It has more life to it... which is understandable since it was a BATTLE. So yeah. Have you listened to it yet?!?!

And I'll cut off this month's list there! It highlighted what I've been most into for the longest portion of this month. Around the beginning of the month, I was all over Hold Each Other by A Great Big World and Postcards by James Blunt and a few other songs, but those are included in my Paul playlist, so check that out to see more of what I listened to!

That's what my month in music was like! Now I'd LOVE to hear from you! What have you been into? Any new obsessions? Favorite songs? What do you think of the songs and artists I've been into? Let me know your thoughts! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...