Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Musical Musings: Shy July

Musical Musings is a new feature where I'll be talking about music! There'll be two posts a month---the first of which will be about some random musical topic, and the second post of the month (like this one!) will be a recap of my month in music. To learn more about this feature and whatnot, click here to check out my introduction post! :)

This Month's Playlist

This month was spent on Spotify with a playlist I made, named Shy. (You can see it here.) I named it Shy because I have this things where I name playlists after book boys. So since I was reading Own the Wind when I made this playlist...

Shy is pretty much just full of random artists and songs I was in the mood for. It started with Billy Joel. After last month on Pandora, I really wanted to for certain get a solid about of Billy Joel in. So I threw in a bunch of Billy Joel and a few new favorite songs that I think may make my ultimate list of favorites (though really I'm not sure yet). And of course Creedence Clearwater Revival. "Up Around the Bend," my friends, never fails to catch my attention and make me happy.

Speaking of, have you seen that Raisin Bran commercial? I HATE raisins and Raisin Bran, but I almost want to buy a box just because "Up Around the Bend" plays in the commercial. So not fair.

But I digress.

After I had the initial playlist made up, I listened until there were more songs tickling my brain--like songs by Queen and Tiny Tim and Counting Crows. And I added them to the playlist. Now the playlist is 63 songs long (longer than my usual playlists, but whatever) and kind of varied. But it's full of what I was in the mood for this month, so yay for that. :)

Top Ten Songs of the Month

Speed It Up Kid - To Be Juliet's Secret

This band is one of my favorite things. I love their name, I love their music, and I just really love them. This song is by no means my favorite by them (not sure I could pick one, but I'll think on it and let y'all know when I decide on one), but it caught my ear. It's catchy. I like listening to it. And it wormed its way into my brain so I HAD to add it to this playlist, and then to this list.

Battle Born - The Killers

After I made my post of favorite artists and talked about The Killers and how I went to their concert for Battle Born, I ended up with "Battle Born" on my mind. So much on my mind that it got added to the playlist and now this list. (Yes, just like "Speed It Up Kid.") It's a great song. And I also have this sudden feeling that "Battle Born" is going to be a song I forever associate with The Raven Boys, since I've listened to it a lot while reading that book. (THE BOOK IS SO GOOD. I LOVE IT.) So that's another thing.

Rain King - Counting Crows

Fun fact: My favorite song is by Counting Crows. That song is not this song. But THIS song is something I heard on the radio when I was in the car with my dad at some point. I'm not even sure it was this month, it might have been in June. Definitely recent, but I'm not certain HOW recent. Either way, I was thinking about it because of that. And I really do enjoy this song. Though it's not my favorite by Counting Crows, it's definitely up there.

And So it Goes - Billy Joel

About time I listed a Billy Joel song, considering the Shy playlist was created with him in mind, eh? Currently, this song is sticking out to me the most. I think I'm at the point where I'm actually LISTENING. You know? Like, you first hear a song and something about it piques your interest--it's catchy, a certain string of words, etc.--so you play it more and you like it. But then after some time of playing it, you finally start to HEAR it. The words start making sense. Coming together. And then the song has a point, a meaning. I think I'm in the process of that right now. I'm listening. I hear the words. I'm putting them together. And now I'm an even bigger fan of this song than I was before.

Berzerk - Eminem

Say hello to the most out of place song on this playlist. Which is exactly why it's ON this playlist. It's upbeat and fun and breaks up the general slower tone of the other songs. I love how the playlist is, and it's what I wanted to hear, but I also so enjoy getting to this song and just getting really INTO it. Whenever I go on a road trip (which I did not this month, but that's not an important point here), this song is on the playlist. Because, as I said, it's upbeat and FUN. And let's be honest here, I really love Eminem and wanted something of his in Shy.

American Pie - Don McLean

This is the song that I cannot shake. I've been obsessed with it for a while. Normally these obsessions fade over time, but that's simply not happening here. Which is crazy since I've heard it somewhere near a million times already, PLUS it's over eight minutes long. Honestly, how am I not sick of this yet? But I'm not. I adore this song. I sing along every time. And I'm pretty sure it's getting added to my favorites list. (Of songs. Not artists. I've never listened to anything else by this artist, which is another odd thing here.) (And if you're wondering, yes. I will share my list of favorite songs with you. At some point. But not today.)

Livin' in the Sunlight, Lovin' in the Moonlight - Tiny Tim

We've seen the episode of Spongebob with this song in it a million times. A million times, yet we never looked up anything about this song or artist until recently, when another song by Tiny Tim was in Insidious--"Tip Toe Thru' the Tulips With Me." We heard that song, looked it up, and also remembered the first Spongebob episode which featured a song clearly by the same artist. And thus began our interest in Tiny Tim. This song is in my favorites this month specifically because at one point, my brother and I were putting groceries away and I played this song from YouTube. Tiny Tim said his little thing in the beginning, hello, his first album, you know. And I said, "He sounds so happy." So then my brother turned to me and said, "It's his first album. Of course he is." And I laughed so hard. Probably not as funny here, but ohmygoodness it was hilarious then. And we still joke about it. So this song has a wee bit of a leg up on the tulips one (though really, the tulips one has a FANTASTIC version for the Insidious movie--creepy and so good).

From Eden - Hozier

Another song I just cannot shake. Last month was my month where I was all over Hozier. This month, I was supposed to move on. But I can't, especially with this song. There's something about the beginning, the "baaaaabe, there's something tragic about you" that latches onto me and sticks. I'm pretty sure this song is my favorite by Hozier. For now, anyway. Based on how much I love Hozier, that favorite title may jump around a bit.

But It's Better If You Do - Panic! at the Disco

I don't have much of an explanation for this one other than that I adore this band. I love them, and I was in the mood to hear this song. I remember back in the day--goodness, I want to say it was around sixth grade--when I was just getting into Panic and I was all proud of myself when I got the titles right. And I remember this video in particular, because I always thought it was odd and didn't get how it connected to the song but I loved it anyway because of how it ends. Oh, and you know. I've been listening to this song for years and just recently (like a couple of days ago) figured out what it's saying--"praying for love in a lap dance, and paying in NAIVETY." That word. Naivety. I never got it. I'd sing along and bull my way through but I finally got it now. And it makes sense.

Vienna - Billy Joel

This was the first song I added to Shy. It's slow and it sounds sweet and I just plain love it. I think I'm at the same stage for this one as I am for "And So It Goes." It's sinking in and I'm loving it more. Definitely a favorite song by Billy Joel. Not sure it'll ever top "Piano Man," however. Maybe it'll tie, but "Piano Man"... That's another one of those songs I just can't shake.

Mentionable Music

- Cage the Elephant. I've been into this band for a while, and they're rearing their way back into my mind as of late. Particularly with "Cigarette Daydreams," which is another song that comes on the radio in the car sometimes and I LOVE. I've also had "In One Ear" on my brain lately. This band is seriously great.

- Eminem. As noted in Shy, I'm leaning back into Eminem. He's been a favorite for such a very long time, so I'm not even a little surprised. I'm always going to keep heading on back. Right now, it'll be to things like "Cleanin' Out My Closet" and "Headlights."

- Carolina in My Mind. By James Taylor. This one was so close to making my top ten this month. It's been all up in my head ever since I read Jesse's Girl by Miranda Kenneally. It was referenced, which pushed it to my attention again, so I had to listen. I love the sound of James Taylor endlessly. And this song is great.

- Romeo and Juliet. The version covered by The Killers. I got to thinking about this one after my favorite artists post, and it's been sticking around ever since. I've known of the song for a very long time--since back in the day when I used to babysit when I was in middle school. It wasn't until a few years later when I read Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson that I learned The Killers had covered the song from the Dire Straights. I still like the Killers version better (I'm biased), so that's what I listen to, but since I LOVE Amy & Roger, I have very fond feelings toward the song.

That's what my month in music was like! Now I'd LOVE to hear from you! What have you been into? Any new obsessions? Favorite songs? And do you have any favorites by the artists I mentioned? And goodness, if you still haven't checked out Hozier, PLEASE DO. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...