Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Musical Musings: June 2015 in a Nutshell


Musical Musings is a new feature where I'll be talking about music! There'll be two posts a month---the first of which will be about some random musical topic, and the second post of the month (like this one!) will be a recap of my month in music. To learn more about this feature and whatnot, click here to check out my introduction post! :)

This Month's Station

Since I spent this month pretty dominantly listening to Pandora (sometimes it's Spotify, sometimes it's actual CDs I own, sometimes it's music on YouTube...), I thought I'd tell y'all about my current station.

This month, I've been stuck on my Sawyer Fredericks station. In my Bookish Digest post for May, I mentioned how happy I was he won this past season of The Voice. I was a HUGE fan of this kid. From the blind auditions, straight up through the end. I had other favorites, too, but he's been my top favorite pretty much since the battle rounds when he performed "Have You Ever Seen the Rain." It was so beautiful. Then Sawyer proceeded to be awesome, and I just loved it all. This past season was full of great talent, but in general Sawyer was one of the contestants most suited to my tastes. (Though I had SO MUCH hope for Lowell...)

As you'll see from my top ten songs this month, the station I've been on plays a mix of cool stuff--Sawyer covers that he'd performed on the show, Goo Goo Dolls, Lumineers, etc. And there was even Matchbox 20, which makes me happy. I've been in the mood for kind of calmer music lately, which I think is kind of showing.


Top Ten Songs of the Month


Iris - Sawyer Fredericks (cover)

When he performed this song on the show, I FLIPPED OUT. One of my favorite NA book series is Katy Evans' Real series. This song is a huge deal for the main characters of the first three books, Remy and Brooke. It made me feel all kinds of happy pants that he sang this, and I love hearing this cover.




Better Days - The Goo Goo Dolls

Fun fact: The Goo Goo Dolls are from Buffalo, NY--the same place I'm from. Growing up, this song would actually be played along with the Christmas songs on our local stations because it was released around Christmas. And in general, it really does sound kind of Christmas-y. (Or maybe that's just me, because I'm used to it.) Either way, it gives me those happy Christmas feels whenever I hear it, and Christmastime is my favorite time.




From Eden - Hozier

Ohmygoodness. I've always thought Hozier was cool, but this month... DUDE. Hozier is amazing. I think this one was my favorite new one I've heard ("new" meaning "new to me," because I'm pretty sure this album has been out for a bit). LOVE. IT. And him.




Shine On - Sawyer Fredericks (cover)

You know, when Sawyer first performed this as a tribute to his mom, I thought it was kind of cheesy. I don't know why. I just got that vibe. But with it playing so often on the Pandora station, I actually started to LISTEN to the words, and... I actually really enjoy this song. It's so hopeful and encouraging.




Clean - Taylor Swift

I got 1989 for Christmas. So of course I'd listened to the album already and had my favorite songs of the album picked--for the moment, at least. Clean was up there on that list, but it wasn't number 1. Fast forward to this past month when I'm listening to Pandora and this song comes on... It got me. And made me want to listen to the entire album again. So I'm really attached to this song right now.

(No YouTube link for this one, sadly. There's not a music video yet, and all the versions I can find are pitched weird. Sorry!)



Work Song - Hozier

THIS SONG. Gosh, I love this song. I was actually just in the car with my brother the other day and this came on and I freaked out. Now that I'm thinking about it, I have no idea what my favorite Hozier song is right now. I just adore Hozier in general.




The Girl - City and Colour

I had never heard of this band until Pandora introduced me to them. I don't even really know much about them now--but I know I'm going to look up and find out and listen to more soon. Because this song is great. Every time it came on (yeah, it played more than once...all the songs on this list did), I checked my phone to see what song was playing and SURE ENOUGH, it was this. Song. New fan, right here.




Take Me to the River - Sawyer Fredericks (cover)

I. Love. This. There is never a time that this cover plays and I don't get super into it. I'll be sitting there reading or whatever and this song will come on and I'll stop to sing along. It's so infectious and fantastic. I also loved that this one was kind of different for Sawyer--so he was branching out, but not so far that he didn't seem like HIM anymore.




Slow it Down - The Lumineers

Just like with Hozier, I've fallen for The Lumineers this month, too. I'd already liked a couple of songs by them, but I'm finally wading into more and it's so wonderful. I enjoy this one in particular because it makes me feel all calm and happy. It's nice.




To Be Alone - Hozier

What's cool about this song is that it's called To Be Alone, so it SEEMS like it's going to be about wanting to be alone and for other people to go away or something. But that's not it at all. It's actually about wanting to be alone with one particular person, and I love that. Plus--HOZIER.




Mentionable Music

- The Postal Service. I think I've heard this band mentioned before, but this month was the first time I'd actually heard any of their music. I'd been listening to Pandora, and one of their songs came on. I thought it sounded like Death Cab for Cutie, so I perked up like WHAT IS THIS? As it turns out, it makes sense I'd made the connection since the Death Cab front man is also in The Postal Service. I still have to look into more from them, but so far my favorite by them has been Such Great Heights.

- The Lumineers. As I said, I'd already liked The Lumineers. Ho Hey is a HUGE deal to me. But recently, I've been all over Stubborn Love, which has led me down the rabbit hole of Lumineer awesome. Slow it Down, Dead Sea, and so much more lovely pieces of music.

- T-Swift. As I said, Clean led to me wanting to listen to the 1989 album again. It was cool to see how much I adore some of the songs on that album. Wildest Dreams and This Love being a couple of my favorites. When I reorganized my books earlier in the month, I started by listening to 1989. Then when I'd listened to it like three times in a row, I switched over to Red and OH HOW I LOVE THAT ALBUM. My favorite on that one remains to be All Too Well.

- DUDE--HOZIER. I kind of just want to keyboard smash my feels because I freaking ADORE Hozier. How it took me this long to jump on this bandwagon, I have no idea. I've loved Take Me to Church for so long... why am I just now branching out? WHHHHHHHYYY?

- The Goo Goo Dolls. I mentioned how this band is from my home town. Another cool thing is that my old high school used to do this thing called the "Anything Goes" concert. There'd be a different theme each year--Lion King, Barenaked Ladies, Queen, MJ, etc.--and the chorus(es) would put together this big medley-type concert. It was the coolest thing ever. I moved to Texas before I ever got to be in one, but a year or two ago, the theme was Goo Goo Dolls (you know, hometown thing... and I think it was an anniversary or something). I watched it on YouTube recently, and since then I've been both caught up in Goo Goo Dolls happiness and kind of obsessed with their song Slide.


That's what my month in music was like! Now I'd LOVE to hear from you! What have you been into? Any new obsessions? Favorite songs? And do you have any favorites by the artists I mentioned? And goodness, if you haven't checked out Hozier, PLEASE DO. :)




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...