Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Burning Kingdoms by Lauren DeStefano (DNF Review)


Series:
The Internment Chronicles #2
Genre:
Young Adult, Science Fiction, Romance
Publication.Date:March 10, 2015
Pages:312 (hardcover)
Published By:  Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Website:Lauren DeStefano 

Perfect Ruin on Goodreads
My review copy:
Received from publisher in exchange for an honest review

Where to get:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Internment-Chronicles-Lauren-DeStefano/dp/1442480610/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1429180888 http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/perfect-ruin-lauren-destefano/1114764018?ean=9781442480636 http://www.indiebound.org/book/9781442480636



Danger descends in the second book of The Internment Chronicles, from the New York Times bestselling author of The Chemical Garden trilogy.

After escaping Internment, Morgan and her fellow fugitives land on the ground to finally learn about the world beneath their floating island home.

The ground is a strange place where water falls from the sky as snow, and people watch moving pictures and visit speakeasies. A place where families can have as many children as they want, their dead are buried in vast gardens of bodies, and Internment is the feature of an amusement park.

It is also a land at war.

Everyone who fled Internment had their own reasons to escape their corrupt haven, but now they’re caught under the watchful eye of another king who wants to dominate his world. They may have made it to the ground, but have they dragged Internment with them?

(Goodreads)


Inspired by Nikki @ http://www.therewerebooksinvolved.com, instead of reviewing a book I have chosen to DNF, I will do something more along the lines of a discussion. I love how Nikki approached this rare occurrence with a Q&A rather than a full out review and, with her blessing, adopted it as my go-to method for DNFs.

So, you added Burning Kingdoms to your DNF pile. How much of it did you read - did you really give it a chance? 

Always, always. I read 85 pages of Burning Kingdoms and, since it is book two of a trilogy and I enjoyed Perfect Ruin, I really wanted to like it.

What made you pick up it in the first place? Were you looking forward to it or did it just pop up by chance?

Like I said, it was book two of The Internment Chronicles and I enjoyed the first book. Now that our ragtag group had made it to the ground, I wanted to find out what was going to happen next. Did the people on the ground know of the people in the sky? Would they be welcoming or no? Is it a world like we know or something different?

What ultimately made you stop reading after 85 pages? Was there anything you liked about the book?

To me, it was dragging. Nothing was happening and if I remember correctly, that's kind of what happened in Perfect Ruin. It took a long time for momentum to pick up in the first book and I was hoping that with Burning Kingdoms it wouldn't be the same. Unfortunately, it was. I kept reading hoping something would happen, but it was more of the same.

Would you still recommend it to anyone?

I always recommend books I don't finish. Just because it's not my thing, doesn't mean it can't be yours. Plus, I know Lauren has a lot of fans from The Chemical Garden series, which in interest of full disclosure I have not read, so it could be something as simple as her writing style and I don't mesh well.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...