Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Lies My Girlfriend Told Me by Julie Anne Peters (DNF Review)


Series:
Standalone
Genre:
Young Adult, Realistic Fiction, LGBT, Romance, Contemporary
Publication.Date:June 10, 2014
Pages:256 (ARC eBook)
Published By:  Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Website:Julie Anne Peters 

Lies My Girlfriend Told Me on Goodreads
My review copy:
Received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Where to get:
http://www.amazon.com/Lies-My-Girlfriend-Told-Me/dp/0316234974 http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lies-my-girlfriend-told-me-julie-anne-peters/1117054792?ean=9780316234979 http://www.indiebound.org/book/9780316234979

When Alix's charismatic girlfriend, Swanee, dies from sudden cardiac arrest, Alix is overcome with despair. As she searches Swanee's room for mementos of their relationship, she finds Swanee's cell phone, pinging with dozens of texts sent from a mysterious contact, L.T. The most recent text reads: "Please tell me what I did. Please, Swan. Te amo. I love you."

Shocked and betrayed, Alix learns that Swanee has been leading a double life--secretly dating a girl named Liana the entire time she's been with Alix. Alix texts Liana from Swanee's phone, pretending to be Swanee in order to gather information before finally meeting face-to-face to break the news.

Brought together by Swanee's lies, Alix and Liana become closer than they'd thought possible. But Alix is still hiding the truth from Liana. Alix knows what it feels like to be lied to--but will coming clean to Liana mean losing her, too? (Goodreads)


Inspired by Nikki @ There Were Books Involved, instead of reviewing a book I have chosen to DNF, I will do something more along the lines of a DNF Discussion. Nikki's feature, DNF Q&A, "answers to a few pertinent questions in order to explain what made me ultimately set the book aside." I love how Nikki approached this rare occurrence with a Q&A rather than a full out review and, with her blessing, adopted it as my go-to method for DNFs.

So, you added Lies My Girlfriend Told Me to your DNF pile. How much of it did you read - did you really give it a chance?
I always give books a chance to dazzle me, especially when the synopsis sounds simply amazing. I got about 50ish% through the book before I realized it was just not for me.

What made you pick up it in the first place? Were you looking forward to it or did it just pop up by chance?
I thought the synopsis sounded great! Alix finds out that her girlfriend has been living a double life and lying to her and this other girl? They slowly become friends, but now Alix is torn because she's being lying to Liana about texting her from Swan's phone?! Sounds intriguing and emotionally crippling, sign me up.

Did you have certain expectations for the book before starting it? Have you read anything else by this author or in this genre?
I've read LGBT, contemporary, romance books before so it wasn't anything new to me, though I hadn't read anything by Julie Ann Peters before picking up this one.

Was there anything you liked about the book? What ultimately made you stop reading after 50%? 
I had a lot of trouble connecting with Alix. It wasn't that there was anything inherently wrong with her, I just couldn't see the reasons why she did what she did. I'm not one to judge grief, but she and Swan had only been dating for a few weeks and she was completely wrapped up in the relationship. When Swan died, she would make comments about how she was going to die a virgin, would never love again, and is lost without Swan. They were even planning on getting married after they graduated high school. She begged God to bring her back because what was she supposed to do with her life now?

Her parents were involved in her life but she only ever complained about them, how annoying and "uncool" they were. Maybe I'm just jaded older and wiser. Maybe it's been too long since I was in the "my parents suck" phase - though to be honest, I never really went through that phase. I mean, I did, but nowhere near this level of extremity. Maybe it's been too long since I've experienced first love. I dunno.

Would you still recommend it to anyone?
My answer to this is always yes. My word is not the end all be all when it comes to a good book or a bad book. That's for you to judge. Your tastes are different than mine and I can't tell you what you will enjoy, only my experiences.

 Goodreads Twitter Instagram Google Plus Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...