Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Midnight Thief by Livia Blackburne (ARC Review)


Series:
Midnight Thief #1
Genre:
Young Adult, High Fantasy, Romance, Magic
Publication.Date:July 8, 2014
Pages:384 (ARC eBook)
Published By:  Disney Hyperion
Website:Livia Blackburne 

Midnight Thief on Goodreads
My review copy:
Received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Where to get:



Growing up on Forge’s streets has taught Kyra how to stretch a coin. And when that’s not enough, her uncanny ability to scale walls and bypass guards helps her take what she needs.

But when the leader of the Assassins Guild offers Kyra a lucrative job, she hesitates. She knows how to get by on her own, and she’s not sure she wants to play by his rules. But he’s persistent—and darkly attractive—and Kyra can’t quite resist his pull.

Tristam of Brancel is a young Palace knight on a mission. After his best friend is brutally murdered by Demon Riders, a clan of vicious warriors who ride bloodthirsty wildcats, Tristam vows to take them down. But as his investigation deepens, he finds his efforts thwarted by a talented thief, one who sneaks past Palace defenses with uncanny ease.

When a fateful raid throws Kyra and Tristam together, the two enemies realize that their best chance at survival—and vengeance—might be to join forces. And as their loyalties are tested to the breaking point, they learn a startling secret about Kyra’s past that threatens to reshape both their lives. (Goodreads)



Inspired by Nikki @ There Were Books Involved, instead of reviewing a book I have chosen to DNF, I will do something more along the lines of a DNF Discussion. Nikki's feature, DNF Q&A, "answers to a few pertinent questions in order to explain what made me ultimately set the book aside." I love how Nikki approached this rare occurrence with a Q&A rather than a full out review and, with her blessing, adopted it as my go-to method for DNFs.

So, you added Midnight Thief to your DNF pile. How much of it did you read - did you really give it a chance?
I did. I read 15%, which if my math is correct is roughly about 60 pages - 10 pages over my typical 50 page cut off.

What made you pick up it in the first place? Were you looking forward to it or did it just pop up by chance?
More popped up by chance/recommendation. Evie found it whilst glancing through Netgalley and thought I may like it. I read the description and thought it was worth giving a chance.

Did you have certain expectations for the book before starting it? Have you read anything else by this author or in this genre?
I didn't have any expectations. I did check the Goodreads rating and to see if any friends had read/reviewed it yet - as I typically do when encountering a new book. Not to influence my review, but just to get an idea of what I was walking in to. At this point in time only one friend had done so and it was rated a 4.26 out of 26 ratings. Definitely worth reading.

I have not read anything else by this author and according to it's page, Midnight Theif is a high fantasy. I am not a high fantasy fan. I think there is one series I've read that could be established as such that I enjoyed. The rest I have either disliked or DNF'd. I was rooting for it to fall in the former, but it did not.

What ultimately made you stop reading after 16%? Was there anything you liked about the book?
My first Goodread's update states "I'm 8% done with Midnight Thief: I know I'm not that far into it, but . . . I just don't know. "It took me a week to pick the book back up and I only made it another 8%. I enjoyed the writing/descriptions and Kyra seems to be a pretty solid character (I didn't read enough from Tristam's POV to judge him), but I just wasn't able to get into the story.

Would you still recommend it to anyone?
Oh absolutely. As I say with any review of a book I didn't like, just because it didn't work for mean doesn't mean it won't work for everybody. There are people who have thoroughly enjoyed this book, I just didn't happen to be one of them.



Goodreads Twitter Instagram Google Plus Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...