Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Monday, December 23, 2013

Best Books I’ve Read in 2013


Hosted by Rachel from Fiktshun, Lisa from A Life Bound By Books, Jessica from Confessions of a Bookaholic, Jaime from Two Chicks on Books and Mindy from Magical Urban Fantasy Reads, the Top 10 of 2013 runs for five consecutive days and highlights some of our favorite reads throughout the year.

Today, we've each picked at least one book that is the Best Books We’ve Read in 2013 (doesn’t have to be released in 2013, just a book read in 2013).



Dude!!! This is SO HARD! You seriously want me to pick just one or two books?! Insanity!!! OK, OK.. I might have just hyperventilated a bit :)

Let's see..
OK, out of all the 120 books I've read this year there are two that completely blew my mind, and these are:

  • Vicious by Victoria Schwab - unforgettable, epic and totally badass. It was such a great, neatly constructed story filled with colorful characters and breathtaking twists. But that's not even all - it was filled with dark humor, great dialogues, brilliant thoughts... It took my breath away and I will never forget it. Victoria Schwab is a fabulous writer and I am a HUGE fan of her writing style! Everyone should read Vicious
  • The Trap by Andrew Fukuda - the third and final instalment in the epic dystopian series, The Hunt. Oh boy! I am still getting chills just thinking about this masterpiece of utter genius! Fukuda NAILED IT. This is hands down my favorite dystopian series ever and my favorite conclusion to a series ever. It was THAT good. Reveals that you totally didn't see coming, fantastically plotted and executed twists, jaw-dropping surprises that totally changed your perception of EVERYTHING that happened in the previous books. Boy! What a freaking read that was!

  • Honorable mentions: 

  How do I even start to pick just one?  I have picked up so many great books this year.  It also doesn't help that this is year end and all of the books from the last few months just sick out more!  I stuck to the books that I reviewed here on Bookish to make things a little easier.  So for them I picked:
  • Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway-  This book just blew me away!! Kelly created this amazing story surrounding Medusa and her descendants.  It was original, creative and just completely captivating.  I loved how the main character Jodi was written and the fact that she was not only strong but she wouldn't let go of her values to please others.  Book two is on my shelf now screaming at me to read it (yes my books all have voices).  This was easily one of my fav books reviewed here this year!
  • The Program by Suzanne Young-  This book will still not be for everyone, with it's hope and hope killing but Young's writing is beautiful.  The story itself was beautiful and tragic but quite simply put addictive.  This is a dystopian that paints a terrifying future and not because it is run by one horrible dictator but because our youth is made out to be "at risk."  From start to finish there was so many feels.  I look forward to the next book and discovering more about who is deceiving and who is helping.


This is such a hard choice! I read so many amazing books this year that I almost feel like I'm picking my favorite child. I'm just direct you toward my Goodreads read shelf and you can check out the rating yourself, but I'll pick out the two that stick out most in my mind:
  • Styxx by Sherrilyn Kenyon was an absolutely amazing read. Sherrilyn's Dark-Hunter series is above and beyond one of my favorite series. Without going into too much detail, this is the novel that completely changes your perspective about two major characters in the series. It's the typical "you think you know, but you have no idea." Sherrilyn is amazing at making us all think one thing, on purpose mind you, and then completely turning it upside.
  • Endless by Jessica Shrivington ripped out by heart and soul. I'm am so in love with this series and the series is ending soon - it's already ended in Australia. If you're in Australian blogger and feel like sending me a Christmas gift, that'd be super!
Honorable Mentions:


Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell makes me feel so happy inside. I love how easy it is to relate to this story, I love Rainbow's writing, I love these characters, and I love the mother flipping crap out of Levi. Seriously, I want that boy to be real so he can be mine and I can keep him. MINE.

I know, I know--this releases in 2014. But I read Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott this year and I LOVE this book. Tella is such a lovable character and the Brimstone Bleed is so interesting. And there's Guy Chambers in this book. I KIND OF LOVE HIM. A LOT. Oh, and the Pandoras. I want one. Or two. Someone needs to make this happen. 


I can't say enough great things about The Edge of Never by J.A Redmierski. I was mesmerized by Andrew Parish from his first line and am still finding it hard to forget his intoxicating presence. The story was one that held me long after I was done reading it.

To Katie With Love by Erica Lucke Dean had a bit of everything in it. From mystery to laughter. From romance to intrigue. I adored this book from the very first pages to the explosive ending"

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer: Oh my goodness, this book was better than the first! I loved the characters and the adventure and was such a great sequel! I cannot wait until February when I can get my hands on Cress!!! I need some more of Captain Thorne!

Divergent by Veronica Roth: AHHH!! I can't believe it took me so long to read this gem! And, to think, it takes place in my city!! I'm looking forward to finishing this series and for watching the movie in March!!!

Honorable Mentions (yes, I cheated):

  • Between The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke
  • Ten by Gretchen McNeil

What were some of your FAVORITE books this year?! Leave us a comment and share your most memorable reads - we love recommendations! :) 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...