Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Friday, December 6, 2013

4th Annual End of Year Book Survey – 2013 Edition!

Graphic credit to Jamie herself

I love end of the year lists. I'm obsessed with them and I have no idea why. Maybe it's the reflection of everything that has happened over an entire year. Bringing back things from earlier in the year that I have completely forgotten about. Ah . . . a time for reflection is it. For the past four years, the lovely Jamie of The Perpetual Page-Turner has created her own End of Year Book Survey for us to all participate in. So feel free to check out my answers to her survey questions before heading on over to see Jamie's answers and peruse those of the other participants.

Best Books in 2013

1. Best book you read in 2013?
I made it both easy and hard on myself. I narrowed it down to genres (those I read the most), but only allowed myself to pick one per genre. Some these choices were really hard and the books that "come in second" are only there by millimeters.
2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to loved more bu didn't?
Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton. This book had so many plot elements that I just love . . . only I didn't love them together.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
Warm Bodies by Issac Marion. I am not a zombie person. I find them more terrifying that anything paranormal because zombies seem more likely than anything else. However, during his brief - extremely brief - reading stint, my brother read this book and told me that I had to read. Since he had never recommended a book to me before, I decided to give it a shot. And I loved it.

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
The Wild Wood by Julie Anne Nelson. Such an enjoyable book and doesn't get the attention it deserves. I will push this book on anybody, anytime.

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
Shadow and Bone. I've had this book on my shelf for quite a few months and on my TBR list for longer than that. I finally picked it up and devoured this thing. I'm still debating if I want to start Siege and Storm now or wait until we're closer to Rise and Ruin's release date.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Rainbow Rowell! Okay, so I've only read Fangirl, but I do have Eleanor & Park waiting to be read. Also, Landline sounds super cute.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you? 
The best example that comes to mind is Chasing Shadows by Swati Avasthi. While I have read contemporary and graphic novels before, this book was a beautiful mixture of both. Swati was able to pull of the combination perfectly in such a way that the novel was merely enhanced.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Endless by Jessica Shirvington. I was lucky enough that Evie reviewed this book for the blog already, so my enjoyment was pure entertainment. Also, I stayed up until 3am to finish this book. Can't stop, won't stop.

9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year? 
It takes a lot for me to re-read a book. Chances are that at some point I'll re-read all my 4 or 5 star books, but I know that without a doubt, I will for sure re-read Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Yikes. Rough choice. Because I just finished this book a few weeks ago and he's fresh in my mind, I'm a huge fan of Levi from Fangirl. A guy worth keeping around for a long, long time.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Chasing Shadows. This book is definitely heartbreaking and Swati handles the tough subject of death and the aftermath beautifully.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. The epilogue of this book put me into such a funk for about two days that Joe almost forbid me from reading. Not that he could, but it was a pretty decent threat if you think about it.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Scarlet by Marissa Meyer. Yes, I know this came out IN 2013, but I read Cinder in early 2013 - having bought Cinder and Scarlet at the same time - but am now just getting around to reading Scarlet. I love Cinder and I'm loving Scarlet so I'm not sure why it took me so long to pick it up.

15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013?
I didn't start keeping track of quote until I started reviewing for Bookish and it became part of the review process. One of my favorite quotes came from Styxx: "Every man, woman, and child is capable of extreme and utter prejudice and cruelty when they feel justified in their hatred. Right or wrong. We are all capable of lashing out when we're in pain. No one, not even you or I, is immune to that. As Plato said, be kind to everyone you meet for we are all fighting difficult battles."

16. Shortest & longest book you read in 2013?

17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it?
The entirely of the last few chapters of Endless by Jessica Shirvington. Like, seriously, Jessica!? Seriously?! Thin. Ice.

18. Favorite relatinoship from a book you read in 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Eleanor and Daniel (Something Strange and Deadly series). Just sighs all around.

19. Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you've read previously? 
Styxx. Easy, peasy. Sherrilyn Kenyon is my favorite author and she keeps pumping out the books and I keep on reading them.

20. Genre you read the most from in 2013?

21. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Huge toss up between Levi from Fangirl and Ryan from Dare You To by Katie McGarry.

22. Best 2013 debut you read?
None of the books I read were debut authors for 2013. Kind of shameful.

23. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Cinder, for sure. Marissa did a great job of creating a whole new world with all kinds of interesting aspects.

24. Book that was the most fun to read in 2013?
Boundless by Cynthia Hand. This is the first book I've won, so that right there was exciting. It is also the last book in the Unearthly series, so while it was sad in that aspect, seeing how Cynthia wrapped everything up was fun! I laughed. I cried. I smiled. I yelled. It was great fun!

25. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013?
There were more than one, so I'm just going to list them all.

26. Book you read 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out? 
I'm choosing a book that I have yet to talk about thus far. I read Freshman Forty by Christine Duval as part of a book tour. Right after the tour, it got picked up by  Bloomsbury Spark, retitled as Positively Mine, and is set to be released December 19.

Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2013

1. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013? I don't know if it's my favorite, but I really like my review for The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson. Mostly because I make a crack about Jacqueline the Ripper. A joke which nobody commented on, so that was kind of a bummer.
2. Best discussion you had on your blog? My Halloween post about witches got a lot of attention. It was neat to see talk about all the different witches and the favorites that people had.

3. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? 
Unfortunately, there weren't many book-like events that I participated in this year. However, by lucky-lucky chance I got to meet Susan Dennard, Sarah J. Maas, Erin Bowman, and Kat Zhang at a signing about 20 minutes from me. So that was pretty neat.

4. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013? 
Evie allowing me to be a contributor to her blog, then bumping me up to co-owner!

5. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? 
If We Were Having Coffee . . . It go so little love  :(

6. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? The only one I know of is the Goodreads Challege (72/50). I got lazy and stopped keeping track of the other ones >.<

Looking Ahead . . .

1. One book you didn't get to in 2013, but will be your number one priority in 2014?
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas - that's if by some miracle I don't get to it by the end of 2013. Which I probably won't.

2. Book you are most anticipating for 2014 (non-debut)?
It's a toss up between Strange and Ever After and Empower. Granted, they're both series finales (does that term apply to books) to two of my favorite series, but these two ladies are driving me crazy with the feels!

3. 2014 debut you are most anticipating?
Well, my Goodreads "to read" list currently gone. Like I signed in today and it's showing ( 0 ) books. Now I know that ain't true! So the first debut that comes to mind is Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige. I know No Place Like Oz came out November 12, but being only 196 pages I'm not counting it.

4. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging in 2014?
Read more! (said every blogger/book reader every year)

Did you participate in Jamie's 2013 End of Year Book Survey? Or any other survey for 2013? Be sure to let me know if the comments and I'll check it out!

Goodreads Twitter Instagram Google Plus Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...