Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Monday, November 4, 2013

[Xpresso Book Tours] Attempting Elizabeth by Jessica Gray

New Adult, Romance
Publication.Date  January 24th 2013
Published By:  Tall House Books
WebsiteJessica Grey

Attempting Elizabeth Goodreads

Where to get:

Kelsey Edmundson is a geek and proud of it. She makes no secret of her love for TV, movies, and, most especially, books. After a bad breakup, she retreats into her favorite novel, Pride and Prejudice, wishing she had some of the wit and spirit of Elizabeth Bennett.

One night at a party Kelsey meets handsome Australian bartender Mark Barnes. From then on, she always seems to run into him when she least expects it. No matter how Kelsey tries, she always seems to say the wrong thing.

After a particularly gaffe-filled evening around Mark, Kelsey is in desperate need of inspiration from Jane Austen. She falls asleep reading Darcy’s letter to Lizzy and awakens to find herself in an unfamiliar place that looks and sounds suspiciously like her favorite book. Has she somehow been transported into Pride and Prejudice, or is it just a dream?

As Kelsey tries to discover what’s happening to her, she must also discover her own heart. Is Mark Barnes destined to be her Mr. Darcy? In the end, she must decide whether attempting to become Elizabeth is worth the risk or if being Kelsey Edmundson is enough.

“Why should I care if Mark didn't give two cents about me? I didn't give two cents about him. The non-caring was mutual as evidenced by the fact that I spent the entire rest of the afternoon sneaking glances at him."
“And yes, I know he is a fictional character; I'm still kind of in love with him."
“We fit together in a surprisingly easy and comfortable way. Like puzzle pieces. Really, hot, steamy, knee-wobbling, insides-melting puzzle pieces."

And then I was face to face with Mr. Darcy. 
I’m not sure exactly what I was expecting. I, of course, had a favorite on-screen Mr. Darcy. As I’d blurted to Mark a few days ago, Colin Firth from the 1995 BBC mini-series was my Mr. Darcy of choice. There are those who prefer Matthew Macfadyen, and he was admittedly hot, but his forehead always distracted me a bit. I totally respect the Macfadyen camp, but there was something about the brooding smolder that Firth had perfected that made him the Darcy of my dreams. So, I guess I had kind of expected Mr. Darcy to really look like that.
And he didn’t look unlike Colin Firth...or really unlike Matthew Macfadyen. They all shared enough characteristics that if I was a police detective putting together a lineup of tall, hot, dark-haired Regency dudes I would have included all of them.
If it was possible, the real Mr. Darcy was even hotter than Colin Firth’s portrayal of him. He wasn’t shooting smoldering glances about the room at the moment—why would he? As far as he knew he was just visiting his little sister, the world had yet to come down about his ears—but I bet if he did he’d leave Firth and Macfadyen in the dust.
Darcy was tall and broad shouldered and fit-looking. He filled out a pair of breeches rather decently. His hair was very dark, almost black, and a bit mussed as he had just recently taken off his hat. He had incredible cheekbones, deep set hazel eyes, a straight nose, and full, wide mouth and the most amazing dimple in his chin. It was the cleft chin that did me in. If this Mr. Darcy had walked into a room full of women in the twenty-first century, there would have been a blood bath. Cat fight extraordinaire. No survivors.
Mrs. Younge and I both stood up in surprise as he came into the room. I’m guessing that Mrs. Younge’s surprise was a little bit less of the pleasant variety than Georgiana’s would have been. Darcy bowed to us both and then turned a broad smile toward me. I almost died right there on the spot.
I’m his sister. His sister. His sister. I feel nothing but sisterly affection, I lectured myself sternly as he walked toward me, hands outstretched and warmly took my hands in his. Sister! Sister! My brain screamed as I tried not to melt into a puddle of goo.
“Georgiana,” Darcy said, still smiling warmly down at me. His eyes were insane. They were hazel, but really they were almost a deep, olive green with a ring of velvety brown around the iris. “I hope you are well.”
I peeled my tongue off the roof of my mouth and opened my mouth to respond. What did Georgiana call him? You’d think I would have been more prepared, after all I knew he was on his way. I guess I was so excited at the prospect of seeing Mr. Darcy that I hadn't thought through the fact that I was going to have to actually interact with him.
“Yes, I am well, Fitzwilliam. What a surprise to see you here! I did not know you were coming.”
His smile faltered, just for a second, as he looked down into my eyes. Oh my god, he knows!
“Here, Sweet, sit down,” Darcy guided me down to the settee and then released my hands so he could sit down as well. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Mrs. Younge resume her seat, except that she sat poised on the very edge of the chair, almost visibly shaking with nerves.
“Is something wrong, Georgie?” Darcy asked in a lowered voice, his amazing eyes still searching my face.
Yes, I thought a bit desperately, something is very wrong. I’m not Georgiana, but a girl from hundreds of years in the future trapped in her body. Oh, and you’re fictional. You don’t really exist. But I’m horribly, horribly attracted to you and cursing the crappy luck that landed me here as your sister instead of the girl you love.

About the Author:

Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook
Jessica Grey is an author, fairy tale believer, baseball lover, and recovering Star Wars fan girl. A life-long Californian, she now lives in Montana with her husband and two children where she spends her time writing, perfecting the fine art of preschooler-wrangling, and drinking way too much caffeine.

Blog Twitter Goodreads Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...