Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Cover Reveal: While He Was Away by Karen Schreck [Special Editon] + Guest Post


Today I'm extremely honored and excited to host a cover reveal of the special edition of Karen Shreck's extraordinary YA contemporary novel, While He Was Away!

Last year in May, I had the utmost pleasure of reviewing While He Was Away during my Contemporary Fiction Month. I was also lucky enough to have Karen Schreck stop by for an author interview! You can see my review of While He Was Away: here.

Here is a short excerpt from my review:
"Overall, While He Was Away was a fantastic read, and one executed with utter skill and believability. It's a novel that takes two teenagers and a seemingly mundane premise, and turns it into a piece of fiction that is just as enthralling as it is touching, and just as entertaining as it is thought-provoking."
Trust me when I say: It's an absolute MUST READ! :) 
With no further ado, let's take a look at the beautiful cover of the special edition of While He Was Away!


While He Was Away   Author: Karen Schreck
Paperback, Special Edition Wal-Mart Exclusive, 249 pages - January 2013

Synopsis:    One year--he'll be gone for one year and then we'll be together again and everything will be back to the way it should be.
The day David left, I felt like my heart was breaking. Sure, any long-distance relationship is tough, but David was going to war--to fight, to protect, to put his life in danger. We can get through this, though. We'll talk, we'll email, we won't let anything come between us.
I can be an army girlfriend for one year. But will my sweet, soulful, funny David be the same person when he comes home? Will I? And what if he doesn't come home at all?...
"A tender and honest examination of love, longing, and loyalty in the face of modern war."--Laura Ruby, author of Bad Apple
"While He Was Away is a wonderful love story with writing that is skillful and true."--Amy Timberlake, author of That Girl Lucy Moon


My thoughts: I am absolutely in love with this cover. I really liked the previous cover, too - but this one has a more mature feeling to it and I think it reflects the atmosphere of the story better. I like that it's in shades of grey, I like that it doesn't focus on the faces.. There's body language here (and some serious hawtness!), and I definitely LOVE what I'm seeing! I will be picking up my special edition at Walmart soon! 


And here's an extraordinary, touching and very insightful guest post by Karen Schreck! I loved it, hope you'll enjoy it, too!

While He Was Away Walmart-Exclusive Cover Reveal and How Inspiration Can Come From Anywhere: Even a Trip to the Grocery Store and a Handful of Long-Lost Photographs
By Karen Schreck 
I sometimes wonder what my mother would say if she knew that her story—one of the saddest, sweetest love stories I’ve ever heard—was retold in a new way in my young adult novel, While He Was Away.
Now Sourcebooks Fire is sharing the story yet again, in a second, exclusive edition, released nation-wide at Walmart. The fact that Sourcebooks believed enough in While He Was Away to bring it to life the first time felt like a much-needed confirmation of years of hard work. The fact that they are standing behind my book again in this way . . . well, it feels like a miracle. I’m truly grateful.
I wonder what my mother would say to this incredible news? I like to think she would be grateful too. I like to think she would be happy. She wanted her story heard after all. So much so that it was one of the last things she told me, just before she died.
One rainy night when I was fourteen, right before cancer left her to ill to talk, let alone drive a car, my mother said, “Come with me. We’re going shopping.” We drove to the little local market and wandered up and down the aisles, as she threw in a can of tuna, some dishwashing soap, and other little things we didn’t need. We paid for these little things. She looked anxious and tired, still she hadn’t said a thing; we hadn’t spoken a word.
It was only when we were parked in our driveway again that my mother said, “I was married once before when I was very young. He died a hero in WWII.”
And that was that. Soon after, she died. I thought about my mother’s mysterious love story for many years. I talked to relatives, found long-lost photographs. The story took seed in me. It flowered into a novel about a young women whose boyfriend leaves for the Iraq War. In her loneliness, she seeks out a grandmother she’s never met, whose first husband died in WWII. She seeks out a character inspired by mother.
A late night drive, a few words spoken in the dark. Even things as simple as this can inspire a novel.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Sexy Cover!! Reminds me of The Vincent Boys cover. Sounds like a really good book, will have to check it out, thanks :)

Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Book Blog

Alicia said...

I actually won a copy of this book I think from your site last year?? This cover is WAY more sexy than her other cover.. Hubba hubba!! Woozers!!

Lindy Gomez said...

OOOh, I love this cover. It's very sexy, and steamy! I can't wait for it to come out.

Evie-I've been following your blog for a very long time. It is one of my favorites. I just started my own blog a month ago called A Bookish Escape. Giselle from Xpresso Reads designed it, and Lea from LC's Adventure's in Wonderland has been doing a lot of work on widgets, book badges, and other things for me on it. It would mean the world to me if you would check out my blog and tell me what you think :) Please :) You're even in my blog love flip book :)

Lindy@ A Bookish Escape
http://www.abookishescape.com

P.S. I love your new design design. Especially the Hawaiian Flowers! I also love the designs you did for Shelf of Heaven and Phantasmic! Congrats on the launch of your blog design business!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...