"TOP 10 TUESDAYS" is a meme hosted over at The Broke and The Bookish
This week's topic:
Top Ten Books to Get in the Halloween Spirit
1. The Diviners by Libba Bray - I just finished reading this one and it was pos-i-tute-ly creeptastic and downright terrifying! Set in 1920s New York it's a thrilling supernatural horror set against a gorgeous historical backdrop. There's a crazy killer on the loose, gruesome occult-based murders, a long buried mystery and a whole lot of creepy fun! READ IT!!! My review: CLICK
2. Anna Dressed In Blood by Kendare Blake - Ghosts, blood, a haunted house.. what else do you want? It's such an amazing book - I highly recommend it!
3. Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King - Stephen King is the king of creepy, scary, unsettling and downright horrifying. Any one of his books would make a swell Halloween read, but if I am to recommend just one, I'd go with this short story collection. One short story in particular - The Good Marriage - is especially disturbing. Its power lies in it probability. King has a great insight into the darkest, most creepy corners of human mind..
4. Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill - Joe Hill is Stephen King's son and I can tell you one thing: this guy can write! Heart-Shaped Box is a story about a guy who collects weird things. One day he buys a dead-man's suit.. The problem is.. The suit comes with a surprise and one that the main character certainly won't like.
5. Horns by Joe Hill - another one of Hill's creepy book. This one is absolutely brilliant. It's about a guy who wakes up one day to discover that he grew horns. Yep, you got that right. A guy. With. Horns. On his head. And not only that, but these horns seem to give him some sort of special power that makes people around him act weird, say weird things.. as if they are unable to lie. BRILLIANT!!!
6. ZOM-B by Darren Shan - This is a fairly quick read. At less than 200 pages long and with full page illustrations every couple pages, it's a book you'll breeze through in an hour or two, but also one that will disturb the living soul out of you. Gore, very detailed, vivid, disturbing, often totally shocking. This is a crazy read. Not for the faint-hearted!
7. Velveteen by Daniel Marks - Creepy, creepy, creepy. And did I mention creepy? And also dark, atmospheric, highly entertaining, witty, clever.. all sorts of awesome!
8. Flesh & Bone by Jonathan Maberry - Third and final instalment in the Benny Imura series. A zombie book like no other. Scary - yes - but in a more subtle, deeply affecting way. Thought-provoking and chilling.. a fabulous conclusion to a fabulous series!
9. Ashen Winter by Mike Mullin - A different kind of scary. One that really hits close to home, as it explores a scenario that can actually happen. Very good book!
10. Quarantine - by Lex Thomas - Action-packed, fast-paced, thrilling. It's a book about a bunch of kids infected with a deadly virus who are isolated from the rest of the world. A real high school nightmare. Very violent and graphic!
So here are my Halloween reads.. What would you recommend? Let me know in the comments below!!