Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (#27)

"Waiting On" is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

Here's what I'm waiting on this week:

Earth Girl by Janet Edwards

Hardcover, 356 pages
Expected publication: August 15th 2012  by Harper Voyager
2788. Only the handicapped live on Earth. While everyone else portals between worlds, 18-year-old Jarra is among the one in a thousand people born with an immune system that cannot survive on other planets. Sent to Earth at birth to save her life, she has been abandoned by her parents. She can’t travel to other worlds, but she can watch their vids, and she knows all the jokes they make. She’s an ‘ape’, a ‘throwback’, but this is one ape girl who won’t give in.

Jarra invents a fake background for herself – as a normal child of Military parents – and joins a class of norms that is on Earth to excavate the ruins of the old cities. When an ancient skyscraper collapses, burying another research team, Jarra’s role in their rescue puts her in the spotlight. No hiding at back of class now. To make life more complicated, she finds herself falling in love with one of her classmates – a norm from another planet. Somehow, she has to keep the deception going.

A freak solar storm strikes the atmosphere, and the class is ordered to portal off-world for safety – no problem for a real child of military parents, but fatal for Jarra. The storm is so bad that the crews of the orbiting solar arrays have to escape to planet below: the first landing from space in 600 years. And one is on collision course with their shelter..
This is a SF/Dystopia with a totally awesome premise. Need I say more? I absolutely can't wait to post my review on the blog! I was extremely lucky enough to be sent an ARC (thank you so much Shannon and Vikki! <3), and my review is scheduled to post August 9th, so be sure to stop by and check it out! I promise you guys, this is a title that you want to bump to the tops of your TBRs! :)

What's your WOW this week? Leave me a linky, I'll drop by!


Nick said...

I really really love the cover of this book. It's pretty stunning ! :)
You're lucky you got to read an ARC and it seems like your really enjoyed it, Evie, so I have no doubt that this will be epic ! :)
I've been wanting to read a good dystopian novel for some time now, and this looks perfect for me.
Great pick. :)

Jessie Marie said...

I'm impossibly jealous that you've got to read this already. But that is a relatively short wait. The cover is so great and it sounds like, yes, a dystopian, but one with an unfamiliar premise unlike the genre seems to be spitting out these days. Very excited for this one! I wonder if I should spend a little of my vacation savings to pre-order this one... ; )

Great choice!

Jessie Marie @ The Daily Bookmark
My WoW

Kathy said...

It sounds really different from anything else out there. Super excited to read your review and most likely add it to my "TBR" pile.

The fact that it's normal to travel to other planets is pretty awesome.

Molli @ Once Upon a Prologue said...

WAIT WHAT. HOW have I not heard of this one? I'm off to add it to my TBR FOR SURE. :)

My WoW

Anna @ Literary Exploration said...

Ohhhh awesome pick!! This looks really great!! Thanks for sharing :D

Anna @ Literary Exploration

Rachel Naddeo said...

Great pick! Already had this one on my TBR pile :D

Check out My WoW ?

Rachel @ Books to Consider

Danny said...

Wooot!!!YES it does sound freaking amazing!!!! Sounds like an Adult Dystopian??? Thanks for featuring it!

Amy said...

This is the first I have heard of this book, but the cover is awesome and it sounds intriguing!! Great pick!!

Marmaladelibby (aka Ange) said...

Holy crap this sounds good! WOW is right! Great pick! I'm adding it right to my TBR list! Here's our Waiting on Weds at Libby Blog. Happy reading!

stargirl :) said...

i like the cover : ) kisses!

Sana said...

I fell in love with the cover as soon as I saw it and had to include it in my to-read list. You're so lucky you got an ARC of it! I will be looking forward to your review of it.

Here's my WoW!

Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

Sierra Abrams said...

This sounds INCREDIBLE!!!!! :D

Sierra @ Yearning to Read

Tanja - Tanychy said...

This cover looks great! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...