Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Friday, February 24, 2012

Blog Tour: Otherwise by Jennifer B. White

Genre:Supernatural romance, Mystery
Publication.Date  December 21st 2011
Published By:  OakBluffs Press / OakIvy Publishing   | 
WebsiteJennifer B.White

Otherwise - Goodreads
My review copy:Finished copy received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review
Where to get: Barnes and Noble | Amazon

   Reluctantly, Delilah Gray has returned to her childhood home—a ramshackle cottage where her compulsive, hoarding grandmother, Meema, raised her. Meema’s ghostly manifestations refuse to let Delilah clean the filthy house, or to stay there peacefully. And that’s just the beginning of Delilah’s problems.

Lonely, angry, and hiding a painful secret, she tries to find a place for herself in a town that she once discovered was “in-between”—a portal to the worlds of the supernatural. Upon her arrival, Delilah unwittingly gets caught in the middle of important business between The Keeper, whose job it is to keep souls on the physical plane, and The Sender who helps speed the dead on their afterlife journey.

When Delilah discovers that she is connected to Lily Defoe, a woman who leapt to her death many years ago, and to a man who refers to himself as The Gravedigger for Lost Souls, she realizes there is more to her homecoming than she anticipated. Who she is, and who she’s been, crosses the boundaries of life and death. Nothing—not the people she meets, not this very moment in time, not even the tragic death of her daughter—is what it appears to be. Not only does Delilah have her own “soul searching” to do, but she must work with some of Green Lake’s oddest characters to uncover the mysteries of several unsolved deaths that have never been forgotten.

While strange and supernatural occurrences threaten Delilah’s already fragile emotional state, she still has a crucial choice to make that will change everything. She comes to understand that there are some things that are worse than death. There is Otherwise—to be confined to a twilight state between the spiritual and the physical worlds.


Delivered like a witch from a Victorian fairy tale , Delilah arrived  on Hermit Meddler's Way on gusty winds. If she was a witch - or something preternatural - she must be wicked, she thought, because a scorching anger seethed inside her like hot coals.
Some would find their way into Winnie's shop. They might buy flowers, or leisurely browse through her small collection of antique records, paintings and silverware. They might pet Calla Lilly, remark on the weather, or share some idle chitchat or an interesting bit of local news. Most would be welcome. Some would not. But they'd come anyway.
She was cursed, and this was hell.
Everything went black.
Hell and the blackness consumed her.

   Jennifer B. White's novel, Otherwise, should come with a warning: DANGEROUSLY ADDICTIVE. This book is so different from anything I've read before! I was fascinated, mesmerized, shocked at times, and  very pleased with its originality and vibrant energy. White's simple and raw writing style makes reading this supernatural treat a complete pleasure, and her ability to create so many parallel plot lines and then braid them together into a complex and thoroughly satisfying novel is simply amazing. Needless to say, I was very impressed.

      Delilah's grandmother was a compulsive hoarder. She collected everything - old clothing, newspapers, cardboard boxes filled with stacks of things most of us would consider junk, dolls, even expired (and often rotten) food. Living with her was a constant struggle and all Delilah ever wanted was to get away. Leave. Run away and never look back. And she did, as soon as she turned seventeen. Now, when her grandmother passed away, Delilah finds herself back in the small town she grew up in. She's determined to clean up her grandmother's old cottage and get rid of the piles of garbage once and for all, making her childhood home inhabitable again.

      But strange things begin to happen to Delilah. First, her car disappears. Then the electricity at the cottage magically fixes itself. She meets a mysterious stranger, who keeps on appearing from nowhere and disappearing into thin air. Delilah's hometown is a mysterious place, eerie and unwelcoming to strangers, very protective of its secrets. There's a deliciously dream-like quality to it. Delilah is about to discover things she never thought existed. Not only will she have to find a way to make peace with her own past, but in order to re-discover purpose in her life, she's going to have to solve several mysterious deaths that have been haunting the town for generations. Remember, anything is possible in the town of "otherwise".

      Otherwise is a magical read. I fell under its spell on the first page. I don't know what it is about this book, but I couldn't put it down. The simple yet descriptive language really spoke to me, and I found it very easy to connect with the main characters. Delilah was a delightful MC, and a very unconventional one at that! Fighting ghosts of her own, emotionally fragile, snarky, with the penchant for swear words, she was refreshingly cool. I was constantly surprised by everything she did and all the things she said. There was no predicting what Delilah will say or do next. Seeing her re-discover love, pleasure, and hope, and watching her morph from a scared, emotionally damaged girl, who basically gave up on happiness all together, into a strong, passionate, and determined woman - that was priceless and ultimately satisfying.  Shane was a great character, too, but as much as I loved his mysteriousness and undeniable charm, I think I loved Winnie even more. This elderly flower shop/antique store owner was a real treat and I really enjoyed reading about her. To be honest, all the characters were unique and brilliantly fleshed out, and I found myself really engrossed in their stories.

      The plot line alone was fantastic. There was so much going on! The complexity of the world-and-character-building was mind-blowing. I was awe-struck. It really is a magnetic and addictive read, and I'm 100% sure that once you start reading, you will find yourself unable to toss it aside and get back to your every-day activities. Beware: this book will consume you! Personally, I found it totally fascinating to read about the compulsive hoarding disorder. The insights into the sickness provided by the author were truly compelling and thought-provoking, especially since the story focused rather on the emotional and psychological distress of the family members, rather than the sick herself.

      Overall, Otherwise is a strong story with elements of romance, supernatural, mystery and drama that is sure to entertain and please even the pickiest readers. Jennifer B. White delivered a captivating, bewitching tale, that is just as harrowing as it is moving, and just as entertaining as it is serious. What can I say? I really loved it!

And now, my dear readers, I have a very delicious treat for you - a vlog interview with the fabulous Jennifer B.White! If you have a couple of minutes to spare.. watch this! I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Jennifer is a beautiful and talented person, and every self-respecting book worm should get to know her!

OakIvy Publishing generously offered a copy of one of Jennifer's other books, Dead Asleep, up for grabs! One lucky winner will receive this beauty - and trust me, you WANT IT!

Published November 11th 2011
 by OakBluffs Press / OakIvy Publishing

If it were possible, I’d never sleep again.

Everyone was talking about my dreams—even though I hadn’t told a single soul about them. Wherever I went, strangers were discussing my nocturnal visions. I wanted to chalk all of this up to coincidence, but then, only minutes after a chance encounter with a young woman I didn’t know, after she told me in perfect detail of the dream I’d had the night before, she was killed. And I knew I’d have to figure out what was happening to me.

My only hope was a woman who had a knack for falling dead asleep. With help from Claire, a narcoleptic, I would have to take a sleep-journey into the past and future affecting everyone’s life, including my own.

Some things to know about me—my name is Kevin Macy and I’m a partner in an ad agency in Boston, Massachusetts. I’m divorced, I smoke, and I’m an accomplished alcoholic. Not that it has anything to do with my story, but it’s part of who I am. And in the course of reading about these supernatural and bizarre events, those things will factor in.

Another important note—and this you will have a hard time swallowing, I’m sure—while on this strange journey of discovery, I died. And I mean that in the realest of ways—dead as a door nail—bought the farm—kicked the bucket. You get the picture. Of course being dead didn’t “stick,” otherwise I wouldn’t be able to tell you my curious tale.

Ends: March 15th

Enter through Rafflecopter below:
(CLICK on Read/See More if you can't see it!)

a Rafflecopter giveaway

❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
About the Author
Evie is the Blogger behind Bookish. She enjoys reading many different genres, especially YA, Paranormal, Contemporary Fiction and Fantasy.
She loves talking to authors and is always happy to welcome them for interviews, and guest posts. She also likes spreading the love for awesome books and  chatting with fellow book-worms.
You can find Evie here: Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Shelfari | The Library Thing


Carl said...

It sounds like a real tour-de-force. The reality of hoarding, the mystery of the many unsolved deaths and the paranormal as well. It's not just one thing and certainly not stuck in one genre. It seems to be a very well-rounded book.

Bonnie said...

Does this ever sounds like an addictive read! The combination of a unique subject matter and what sounds like brilliant writing has got to be an amazing combination. I'm interested to see how it is all tied together.

Bonnie @

Na said...

From the review it sounds like all the characters stood out to you in their own way. They're all so different but work well together in the story.

Nereyda1003 said...

Great Review! I love your blog too.

Hi! We’re Goodreads friends but not blogger friends yet. I just followed your blog, would love it you could please follow me back via GFC at:
Nereyda @Mostly YA Book Obsessed

tinkerbell the bipolar faerie said...

Otherwise sounds like a great book!

Bretny said...

Bankruptcy records
Obtain bankruptcy records online to save your time and money. There is no need to spend hours on internet to get a copy of your bankruptcy for free. These records are not free. Get it right here at a fraction of the cost! 98.9% of orders are delivered in less than one hour, same day. it is the fastest way to get your bankruptcy records. You can get all of the US district bankruptcy court records at click of the mouse for the lowest price and with a full money back guarantee! if not delivered same day.

JucHugi said...

Sounds like something I would not read before going to bed :P

Emily @ Falling For YA said...

I haven't heard of this one. It seems very interesting and is now on my TBR list =) I also haven't seen a vlog interview before and you've already won me over this is a great use of media!

ZaraAlexis said...

I love her passion for the supernatural and for her enjoyment of her writing space...especially with the fireplace and cello. I think every writer has a favourite space to work in and a specific process. Thanks for the video interview. Nice to be able to see and hear her share her ideas!

Zara D. Garcia-Alvarez
On Twitter: @ZaraAlexis

rhonda1111 said...

It sounds mysterous and interesting. How can everyone know anothers dream.

Doodle said...

Great review! This book sounds really good.

GFC - Doodle

Doodle @ Doodle's Book Blog

Aislynn said...

Sounds like a really great read. I'll have to check it out.

Great post, and thank you for the giveaway!


LittleRedReads said...

Amazing review, Evie! I love how you say that it should come with a warning: Dangerously Addictive. I love books like that. This book is definitely going on my list to read! Hoarding is such a strange and fascinating disease (have you ever seen Hoarders? I always get the urge to clean after I see the show). Anyways, thanks for the absolutely great review!

GFC: LittleRedReads (on the giveaway screen there was nowhere to type it, same with the blogroll one)


Kelly said...

I hadn't heard of Otherwise until this post, but it sounds like an excellent read. As much as hoarding is in the public eye these days, I've yet to encounter a character in a book that has that particular issue. Obviously that's not the main character though. And any book that will "consume" me is a must read for me!

GFC: Kelly

Gorelenore said...

Sounds like a very interesting book to read, and I would love to get my hands on Otherwise. You wrote an amazing review.

Stephanie Verhaegen said...

Sounds amazing! I really like quotes you put on. Thanks for sharing!

medinahusa said...

Just by your review, I really want to read this book. I like how you said it was addictive and raw, I love books like that! I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Jaime Lester said...

I had never heard of this book until now, and now I really want to read it. It sounds addicting! Thanks so much for the great review. ANOTHER great review!

Grace Lo said...

I think I fell in love with the blurb. I really think so.

I've never heard of Otherwise before, but thanks to you, my TBR list is expanding c: Another fantastic analysis of a book!

Diana Grace said...

This sounds like a definite must-read.. The cover is also kinda Twilight-ish, Thanks for the review! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...