Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Friday, January 13, 2012

10 MOST ANTICIPATED 2012 Movie Adaptations




The Hunger Games
Based on: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Release Date: March 23, 2012
Director: Gary Ross
Casting:  Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Director Gary Ross

Movie Info: Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until one survivor remains. Pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives, Katniss is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love








The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Release Date:


Martin Freeman, Bret McKenzie, Ian McKellan, Director Peter Jackson

Movie Info: The creative team behind the Lord of the Rings trilogy returns to Middle-earth with this adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's classic precursor The Hobbit. Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh share writing duties with Guillermo del Toro on the Warner Bros./MGM joint production, the story of which will span two films. ~ Jeremy Wheeler, Rovi















Snow White and The Huntsman
Based on: Classic Snow White fairytale
Release Date: June 1st, 2012
Director: Rupert Sanders
Casting:  Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron, Viggo Mortensen, Chris Hemsworth, Sam Claflin, Ian McShane

Movie Info: In the epic action-adventure Snow White and the Huntsman, Kristen Stewart plays the only person in the land fairer than the evil queen (Charlize Theron) out to destroy her. But what the wicked ruler never imagined is that the young woman threatening her reign has been training in the art of war with a huntsman (Chris Hemsworth) dispatched to kill her. Sam Claflin joins the cast as the prince long enchanted by Snow White's beauty and power. -- (C) Universal Pictures












Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Based on: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
Release Date: June 22nd, 2012
Director: Timur Bekmambetov
Casting:  Benjamin Walker, Dominic Cooper, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Rufus Sewell

Movie Info: Abraham Lincoln is reinvented as a vampire-killing president in this Timur Bekmambetov-directed action picture starring Benjamin Walker, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Rufus Sewell, and Dominic Cooper. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies author Seth Grahame-Smith adapts his own book for 20th Century Fox. Tim Burton produces alongside Bekmambetov and Jim Lemley. ~ Jeremy Wheeler, Rovi




(please note, this is not the movie trailer, as it is not yet available. This is the book trailer provided by Hachette Book Group)







The Woman in Black
Based on: The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
Release Date: February 3rd, 2012
Director: James Watkins
Casting:  Daniel Radcliffe, Ciaran Hinds, Janet Mcteer, Shaun Dooley

Movie Info: Set on the obligatory English moor, on an isolated causeway, the story's hero is Arthur Kipps, an up-and-coming young solicitor who has come north to attend the funeral and settle the estate of Mrs. Alice Drablow of Eel Marsh House. The routine formalities he anticipates give way to a tumble of events and secrets more sinister and terrifying than any nightmare: the rocking chair in the nursery of the deserted Eel Marsh House, the eerie sound of pony and trap, a child's scream in the fog, and, most dreadfully, and for Kipps most tragically, the woman in black.









Warm Bodies
Based on: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion
Release Date: August 10th, 2012
Director: Jonathan Levine
Casting:  Nicholas Hoult, Teresa Palmer, Rob Corddry, John Malkovich, Dave Franco

Movie Info: A tormented zombie (Nicholas Hoult) experiences a profound transformation after entering into an unusual relationship with the daughter (Teresa Palmer) of a military leader charged with eradicating the walking dead. As the unlikely pair builds a tenuous bridge between the living and the dead, those on both sides of the battle begin to sense that nothing in their world will ever be the same again. Warm Bodies is based on the novel by Isaac Marion. Rob Corddry and John Malkovich round out the starring cast. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi
 
 


The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (part 2)

Based on: Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

Release Date: 16th November 2012
Director: Bill Condon

Casting:  Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattison, Taylor Lautner


Movie Info: After the birth of Renesmee, the Cullens gather other vampire clans in order to protect the child from a false allegation that puts the family in front of the Volturi.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


The Great Gatsby

Based on: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Release Date: 25th December 2012
Director: Baz Lurhman

Casting:  Leaonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Joel Edgerton


Movie Info: Nick Carraway, a Midwesterner now living on Long Island, finds himself fascinated by the mysterious past and lavish lifestyle of his neighbor, Jay Gatsby. He is drawn into Gatsby's circle, becoming a witness to obsession and tragedy. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Odd Thomas

Based on: Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz

Release Date: 2012
Director: Stephen Sommers

Casting:  Anton Yelchin, Willem Dafoe, Nico Tortorella, Addison Timlin, Patton Oswalt

Movie Info: “The dead don't talk. I don't know why.” But they do try to communicate, with a short-order cook in a small desert town serving as their reluctant confidant. Odd Thomas thinks of himself as an ordinary guy, if possessed of a certain measure of talent at the Pico Mundo Grill and rapturously in love with the most beautiful girl in the world, Stormy Llewellyn. Maybe he has a gift, maybe it’s a curse, Odd has never been sure, but he tries to do his best by the silent souls who seek him out. Sometimes they want justice, and Odd’s otherworldly tips to Pico Mundo's sympathetic police chief, Wyatt Porter, can solve a crime. Occasionally they can prevent one. But this time it's different.

A mysterious man comes to town with a voracious appetite, a filing cabinet stuffed with information on the world's worst killers, and a pack of hyena-like shades following him wherever he goes. Who the man is and what he wants, not even Odd’s deceased informants can tell him. His most ominous clue is a page ripped from a day-by-day calendar for August 15.
 
 
 


The Mortal Instruments

Based on: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Release Date: 2012
Director: Scott Charles Stewart

Casting:  Lily Collins, Jamie Campbell Bower

Movie Info: Clary Fray tumbles into the supernatural world when she visits a club called Pandemonium, and witnesses a murder. Following this tragic event Clary's mother, Jocelyn, is kidnapped by a man called Valentine. She then calls on those who she saw at the club, and asks them to help her. In the search for the Mortal Cup, Clary makes decisions harder than any she has ever made. She falls in love, struggles with her best friend, and becomes the person her mother feared she would become.
 
 
 
I am super anxious to see The Snow White and The Huntsman - I think Charlize Theron was born to play the evil queen - and the trailer?! OMG, seriously?! The best thing evah!!! 

The Hunger Games - dying to watch this! Can't wait to see how it compares to the first book. I think Jennifer is perfect for the role :)

The Hobbit? Bring it on! Never too much of Tolkien!

The Lady in Black? Not sure if I will watch it... Looks really scary and I don't really do scary movies anymore :P 

Odd Thomas?! Huge fan of Dean Koontz here.. I am so freaking excited for this adaptation! Hope its better than the previous Koontz adaptations! *fingers crossed* 

I am looking forward to all these movies! How about you guys?!
Which 2012 Book to Movies adaptations are YOU the most excited for? :) 
I will update the official movie posters and trailers as they show up online!

34 comments:

Librarywala Blogs said...

Very interesting post! Indeed true - movies such as these are much awaited.

Princezn√° said...

There should be two adaptations of Snow white this year... the second one is not as dark as this with Kirsten.. it's called Mirror, mirror, and Julia Roberts will be the evil queen and it looks perfect! check it out ;)
Hunger games... I can't wait! March is too far... And Hobbit? I think I'll die waiting :D
The Woman in Black seems really creepy, but I want to see it, because I want to see how will Daniel Radcliff act.. Beacuse he looks a lot better than in HP movies

http://kniho-lienka.blogspot.com

Boriquaz said...

I cannot wait for the Hunger Games, I hope they do the book a good justice. And Mortal Instruments OMG yes! Great post!

Cathy
http://imaddicted2yabooks.blogspot.com/

SacredmOOn said...

Fabulous post! I can't wait to see these movies. This is an epic year of new book series releases and movies. I can't wait to see the new sequel of Underworld also! Thanks for posting! DeAnna

Tanya Patrice said...

Awesome list - I didn't know about quite a few of these movies and I want to see them all - aside from the usual musts like Hunger Games, Snow White and the Huntsman sounds especially intriguing.

Jenica704 said...

Thanks for compiling this list. I'm most excited for The Great Gatsby and The Hunger Games. Happy reading and viewing!

Grace at Feeding My Book Addiction

Amy said...

I am so excited for so many of these movies. It's going to be a great movie year. (I did hear that The Mortal Instruments wouldn't be until 2013, don't know how accurate the info is though.)

Julie @ Read Handed said...

I'm excited to see what Leo will do with Gatsby. He's become such a superb actor - he's come a long way since Titanic!

May-Day_Aura said...

*squee* I'm super excited about The Hobbit (huge Tolkien fan) and Snow White and the Huntsman (also a huge fairy tale fan)! I haven't read any of the Hunger Games series or Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter yet, but they look interesting. My younger brother has read them though and he is super excited to go see those two movies. And since I'm his movie buddy, I'll probably end up seeing them. I hadn't heard about the Mortal Instruments or the Great Gatsby movies though. Hmm...

Kathy said...

Snow White and the Huntsman looks awesome (not thrilled with some of the casting, but Charlize is PERFECT). I am counting down the days to The Hunger Games, and I hope Mortal Instruments actually gets made into a movie! *fingers crossed*.

The Woman in Black looks super scary, but might try to sit through it.

Great list! So many great books being turned into hopefully good movies.

Andrea @ Cozy Up said...

I am so excited for The Hunger Games!!! Of all of these movies that is definitely top on my list... I didn't know that they were making Odd Thomas into a movie, that will be interesting. I love that you made this list. Thanks my dear!!

Hanna said...

Oh this is such a great idea for a post!

I really didn't like The Great Gatsby book but for some reason I'm dying to see the film. I can't think of a better actor to play Jay Gatsby than Leonardo DiCaprio - he's all kinds of perfect.

I can't wait for The Woman in Black either. I read the book last year and loved it, although it looks like they've changed quite a lot from the trailer.

The Hobbit looks amazing, although it irritates me BEYOND BELIEF that they've split it into two films. If each of the LotR books can be one film, surely the Hobbit can too? I hate the onebook-twofilms bandwagon.

The adaptation I'm most looking forward to is We Bought A Zoo by Benjamin Mee. It has Matt Damon in it, I think.

Maria D. said...

I have to agree about Snow White and the Huntsman...looks fantastic!
I also can't wait to see Twilight -Breaking Dawn Part 2 - mostly just because it's the end of the series and movies.

Sarah Williams said...

I'm looking forward to The Hobbit and The Hunger Games. Woman in Black seems up my alley too. Didn't know there was a Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter movie planned, but you got my attention with Rufus Sewell.

I have a huge dislike of Kristin Stewart and refuse to see anything with her in it. Which killed Snow White and the Huntsman for me. It had seemed sort of interesting before I heard she was cast.

I am more itching to see if any US network will air ITV's Treasure Island. I'd really like to see that.

roro said...

me me me 2 lol
so want 2 see them
hoping 2 read the books b4 the releases

Jessica S. said...

This list is awesome. Thanks for putting it together! I haven't been much on movies over the last few years, but a few of these coming soon are catching my eye and making me anxious to go see them. :D

Ning said...

Omg definitely the Hunger Games and maybe the Mortal Instruments, after I read the book. I'll have to see about Snow White cuz I really don't like Kristen Stewart. The Abraham Lincoln Movie sounds fun!


Ning @ Reading by Kindle Fire

Racquel (A Book Barbie) said...

I'm very excited for the great Gatsby!!! (why is it out on Christmas? I don't celebrate Christmas but I know nothing will be open that day!) especially since its Leaonardo DiCaprio<3<3 have you seen inception? best movie ever! also the hunger games? should I even mention it? a lot of everything is riding on that movie, if it disappoints some people will be hurt! great post:D

Racquel @ The Book Barbies
-thank you&come again.

Christy D said...

O M G... FINALLY they are getting Odd Thomas out! One of my favorite books. I'm SUPER excited.

Plus, who ISN'T excite about The Hunger Games? lol

Melanie said...

I can't wait for a lot of these adaptations either! I think I'm most excited about Snow White as well. And I'm planning on reading The Hobbit before it comes out.

This is the first I've heard of Woman in Black, but it sounds intriguing and creepy, the perfect mix.

Jessica ( frellathon ) said...

These all, every one of them get's me giddy with excitement.

Renu said...

Eee, Daniel looks so charming in Women in Black!

Caitlin said...

I think TMI got pushed back to 2013 with a new script but this is still the movie I'm looking forward to the most. Also The Hobbit I so can't wait to see I absolutely loved the book and have been waiting for the movie for forever. Daniel Radcliffe in The Woman In Black he is perfect and I will definitely see this one. Its creepy but still looks awesome and bonus Daniel lol.

Bree said...

Ohhhh thanks for the list. I'm looking forward to Hunger Games and now Snow White (and thanks to a commenter Mirror, Mirror) and Odd Thomas (want to read book first).

Jennifer said...

I can't wait to see ALL of them. Each one brings something exciting to the big screen. Great post.

Giselle San Miguel said...

Wow are they seriously doing A Great Gatsby movie!! EEeeks! I can't wait for it. As well as The Mortal Instruments and not to mention The Hunger Games!

LoriStrongin said...

You're trying to kill me awesome, aren't you?


SOOOOOO excited for The Hobbit and Hunger Games. And I'm trying to psych myself up to see The Woman in Black (DanRad will always hold a piece of my heart) even though scary movies scare the bejeezus out of me. Also looking forward to Warm Bodies--loved the book and LOVE Nicholas Hoult!


Smiles!
Lori

Bonnie said...

There are so many that I'm excited for - I know my husband will take me to see The Hobbit and I'm looking forward to taking him to see The Hunger Games! Also, looks like I finally need to get around to readin Warm Bodies and TMI before I can see those! Maybe we can go see one together when you move!!! ;)

Bonnie @ www.handsandhome.ca

Stephsgrn said...

Thanks for this post! I had no idea some of these were coming out! I can't wait for the Mortal Instruments to get going!

Lois D. Brown said...

I’m a writer, book lover, and your newest blog follower! My blog is Life of Lois Feel free to stop on by.

Lois

Yiota said...

I'm so excited for half of those movies! Can't wait for Hobbit and the Huntsman ^^

Two Bibliomaniacs said...

So glad you posted this one! I totally forgot about a couple of these. 2012 is definitely going to be a great movie year!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Awesome list Evie. I didn't know all of these were in the works. I kmow what you mean about The Woman in Black! I want to check out the Abraham Lincoln movie!

niaharasworld said...

I'm so excited for the Hunger Games and the Hobbit! Especially the Hobbit even though it's in December.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...