Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Sunday, January 1, 2012

TOP 10 Reads of 2011 - Books you ought to read! [Bookish and FRIENDS edition]

1. Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake - Because it was absolutely wonderful! Dark, eerie, magical, sexy, out-of-this-world amazing!

My Review: Will be posted soon!

 2. Watched by Sharde Richardson - Because it was unbelievably cool and witty! Mikayla rocked my world!

My Review: CLICK

3. Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin - Because of Noah. Do I even need to say more? OK, OK, it was also extremely gripping, thrilling and made of awesome!

My Review: CLICK

4. Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout - Because of chapter 16 and what it did to me! Also, because the fantastic world-building and unpredictable twists!

My Review: CLICK

5. This Dark Endeavor by Kenneth Oppel - Because it was wonderfully dark and atmospheric, and written with a Frankenstein-like language that blew my mind!

My Review: CLICK

6. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi - Because of its extraordinarily beautiful writing style and totally swoon-worthy Chuck Bass-like bad guy!

My Review: CLICK

7. Pearl Savage by Tamara Rose Blodgett - Because it's a phenomenal Victorian steampunk story that will blow you away!

My Review: CLICK

8. Zombies Don't Cry by Rusty Fischer - Because it's the most adorable Zombie book EVAH! Maddie forever!!!

My Review: CLICK

9. Dust&Decay by Jonathan Maberry - Because it's the most heart-breaking and profoundly deep zombie story out there that will make you cry SO.MANY.TIMES. 

My Review: CLICK

10. The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff - Because of its mesmerizing mythology and excellent world-building. Also - the atmosphere of this book is just beyond amazing.

My Review: CLICK

Awesome runners up:

Exiled by MR Merrick
Masquerade by Cambria Hebert
Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst
Witchlanders by Lena Coakley
Death Whispers by Tamara Rose Blodgett
Ripple by Mandy Hubbard
Skyship Academy by Nick James
Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer
Fury by Elizabeth Miles
Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma
Envy by Gregg Olsen 

These are some seriously awesome books that I LOVED and I wished I could include them all on my TOP 10, but well, TOP 10 is TOP 10 for a reason... I just wanted to say: thank you to all the wonderful, hard-working and talented authors for sharing your stories with us! 
You made my year and I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

I haven't yet read Divergent, Delirium, Iron Knight, Forever, Crossed, Forbidden, Clockwork Prince and many other fabulous books that were published this year, otherwise they would probably make it to the TOP 10 list :)

 ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ 

Need a second opinion on best 2011 reads?
I've asked my book blogger friends to share their TOP 10 LIST with us, and here's what they said:

Kathy from A Glass of Wine picked: 

1 The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
A kick butt heroine, the hottest YA guy ever, and an ending that literally makes you scream “WTF”. This book was easily my favourite read of the year.

2 Divergent by Veronica Roth
Tris, the spunky heroine of this novel is one of my favourites. This book deals with facing ones fears, standing up for what you believe in, and also has kissing.

3 Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
A heart wrenching love triangle, complex and interesting characters, and some of the hottest make out scenes make this one of my top favourites of the year.

4 Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
I love Stephanie’s writing. It’s cute, romantic, and brings forth feelings of first loves. The girl, the boy, the setting and those romantic moon and stars made me giggle and sigh with happiness.

5 Delirium by Lauren Oliver 
This book will make you thankful for those broken hearts. It makes you so glad you can feel anything. It's beautifully written, and will leave you aching.

6 Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
Heart breaking, unforgettable, raw and intense. This novel is powerful and will stay with you long after you’ve finished. It is also beautifully written.

7 Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
A scary, yet romantic (a twisted one, but that’s beside the point) tale of boy meets ghost. You’ll love Cas and come to love Anna just as much. It’s also quite creepy so you'll be sleeping with the lights on.

8 Wither by Lauren DeStefano 
A scary dystopian because it seems realistic. You have characters that cause you to be conflicted, and a tough, determined heroine.

9 Die for Me by Amy Plum
The romance is swoon worthy, the characters likeable, and the setting magical. The unique paranormal element is also one of my favourites.

10 Stolen by Lucy Christopher
This book gets inside your head and heart and totally messes with you. Complex issues and characters that make you think.

Kate from Read 2 Review picked:

1.A Dozen Deadly Roses (Kathy Bennett)
~ A gripping read from page 1. I loved the chemistry with the characters and the will they wont they feel to the book ~

2.Tales From Frewyn (Michelle Franklin)
~ What do I love about this book? 1 word: Alasdair! The most amazing character that I fell in love with this year ~

3.Knightfall (Berinn Rae)

~ The suspense that kept me turning the pages is breath-taking.  I read this with a damaged e-reader as I just couldn’t put it down ~

4.The Last Rising (Rachel Firasek)
~ The start of a fantastic series! This book left me aching for more ~

5.Mind Over Monsters (Jennifer Harlow)
~ A totally unique take on the paranormal and I loved every minute of it ~

6.Toonopolis: Gemini (Jeremy Rodden)
~ One of the best written, comically genious novels I have read ever, let alone in 2011 ~

7.Dark Ride (Caroline Green)
~ Left me in a state at the end. Breath-taking and sucked me in from the very start ~

8.Pretty Twisted (Gina Blaxill)
~ The way the story is told from two different view points makes this book very interesting and really made me want to know what happened next ~

9.Excuse Me, My Brains Have Stepped Out (Pandora Poikilos)
~ I think this is the book that touched me most this year. Well written and very relatable for me ~

10.Finding Kate Huntley (Theresa Ragan)
~ Was a thrill ride from the beginning with some very unexpected twists and turns ~

I have read so many great books this year, I am so sorry to those that didn’t make the top 10. This was the hardest piece I have had to write this year!  My job as a reviewer is something I never want to be without now!

Giselle from Xpresso Reads picked:

10- The Magi - Not well known yet but could totally become as big as HP!

9- Unearthly - This has one of the best love triangles I've ever read. Team Tucker FTW!

8- Daughter of Smoke and Bone - The most imaginative book I have read this year (if not ever), bar none.

7- Touch - He touches you, you die - what is there more to say?

6- The Dark and Hallow Places - This was just a fun filled zombie packed book! Brrraiiiiiiiinnnnnnsssss

5- Hushed - I love serial killers, what can I say? *shifty eyes*

4- Obsidian - S-E-X-Y sauce!
3- Ashfall - Very scary because it could really happen, shows how humanity can change in extreme situations.

2- Catching Jordan - I almost peed my pants reading this one.

1- Divergent - This book was just plain freaking awesome! I had a BLAST reading this.

Quote from Divergent:
"I am not Abnegation. I am not Dauntless.
I am Divergent.
And I can’t be controlled."

Stephenie from Little Red Reads picked: 

1. Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead
-Two Words: Adrian Ivashkov. He is my all-time favorite character! I wish he was a real person so that I can marry him :D

2. Born At Midnight by C.C. Hunter
-It's a paranormal book that has so many different paranormals to it. It's simply perfect.

3. 13 To Life by Shannon Delany
-I fell in love with the main character, Jessie. She's so quick-witted and sarcastic.

4. Marked by P.C. and Krisitn Cast
-This mother-daughter duo wrote a very good first book in a series. Kept me wanting to read it.

5. Reasons To Be Happy by Katrina Kittle
-I love how the MC has a list of 200+ reasons to be happy and it has made me want to create my own list :D

6. Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz
-I thought that this was a unique spin on the paranormal. Very good series.

7. The Espressologist by Kristina Springer
-Light, quick read that has Chicago (my favorite city and my home city), Coffee, Matchmaking. Loved it.

8. Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
-I loved to hate this book. Hated the fact that Adrian ended up with who? No one. Poor Adrian.

9. Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
-I reread this and I fell in love with it all over again. Mr. Darcy... can I have my own Mr. Darcy?

10. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
-A classic that I fell in love with :D

Lindsay from Me on Books picked: 

1: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi: this book reached out and didn't dare let go of me. So powerful, so lyrical, it feels both effortless and as if you've got the weight of the world on your shoulders. A journey into a bleak world, a journey into discovering what it means to be powerful.

2: Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins: bright, fun, and bubbly, but still honest. Perkins does it again, giving readers a flawed teenage girl and her struggle to cope with the changing world around her. A must-read for die-hard romantics.

3: Delirium by Lauren Oliver: such a heart-breaking novel. Love is a disease, removed from us before we can feel its deadly symptoms. Unless you're strong enough to fight, unless you're willing to suffer for love.

4: The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff: a breathtaking novel of discovery, purpose, identity, and most of all love. The world is not black and white, more packed with shades of grey, and in the space between you find the happy medium between good and evil, right and wrong. You find the space you're meant to exist in.

5: Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor: a lush and exotic tale of mystical creatures and winged soldiers, of a young girl in Prague with bright blue hair, a penchant for sketching the world around her, and tattoos on her palms. This book must be read simply for the pure joy gained by reading.

6: Legend by Marie Lu: a different sort of dystopian novel, one that set itself apart from others with its strong characters and the ruthless military presence. Survival is key, but so is family. Both seem to go hand in hand in this book.

7: Across the Universe by Beth Revis: young adult science fiction at its best. A stranger in a strange land waking up in a spaceship where she and one destined to rule must race to discover who is waking up the others like her, waking them and killing them. A brave new world, both familiar and unfamiliar, both frightening and awe-inspiring.

8: Blood Red Road by Moira Young: bleak and wind-swept and covered in sand, the journey of a girl searching for her twin brother in a barren wasteland. The strength and the faith and the hope in this girl is staggering.

9: Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs: a spin on the Greek myth of the Medusa, Childs gives us three of the creature's descendants, three teen girls fated to battle the evil and monsters that prey on the human world.

10: Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma: a simple story about the relationship between sisters and a complicated story about sisters. So haunting and mysterious, I recommend reading this in the middle of the day. With the lights on.

Vy from Vy's Blog picked:

1.Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
I'm still a mess from the emotional damage Will Herondale has caused. THIS BOOK! Clockwork Prince has to be my most favorite Cassandra Clare novel.

2.The Daughter of Smoke and Bones by Lani Taylor
I love this book to pieces! This was very different from other paranormals I've read this year. This is just INDESCRIBABLY amazing.

3.Where She Went by Gayle Forman
It's so interesting to see the after story of a couple. This book brought me to tears a couple of times and will always have a place in my heart. Well, Adam will always be in my heart, too. ;)

4.Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
STEPHANIE PERKINS! How I love her writing style. I fell in love with her writing style after reading Anna and the French Kiss and was all kinds of excited that Lola was just as amazing! 

5.The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Mara Dyer = MIND BLOWN.
Everything I thought I knew was constantly changed. There aren't enough words to describe the amazing-ness of Mara Dyer.

6.Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
I am Team Tucker all the way. This book had to be one of my most favorite romance stories out there. Everything about Unearthly was so smooth and fluffy.

7.Divergent by Veronica Roth
I was very skeptical about Divergent because it was being compared to The Hunger Games, but I have to admit that I love this book just as much. There were some crazy action and a really kick-butt heroine.

8.Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins
I will be forever amused by Demonglass. Even at the most tense of times and I still find myself laughing. It's just insane how much humor is packed into this action packed book.

9.Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting
I have never been so creeped out by a book before. Even just talking about how good and creepy it is brings it back. Enough said.

10.A Need So Beautiful by Susanne Young
I just want to hug this book and squeal all day! ANSB is it's own paranormal.

Thank you for reading! Hope you all had a wonderful year filled with fabulous reads :) Here's to more fantastic books in 2012!

Happy New Year, my friends!!!


Lalaine said...

Great post. Delirium and Divergent are oneof the best books 2011 has ever had. Happy New Year.


Aleksandra said...

Thanks for the amazing post! I love every list, although most of the books still haven't read! From your top 10 I've read Dust & Decay & of course I loved it! It's on my 2011 top 10, too :) Happy New Year!

Stepping Out of the Page said...

Fantastic post, this was great to read - I'll have to check out the books that you've listed. It looks like 2011 was a successful bookish year for you, I hope 2012 is the same! Happy New Year :)

Renu said...

"Because of its extraordinarily beautiful writing style and totally swoon-worthy Chuck Bass-like bad guy!"

^ Yes, yes, and YES. Totally agree with! You my friend have awesome taste! ;) Shatter Me if def one of my favourite reads of this year. ^_^

Kathy said...

Awww, I love this post Evie. Getting to see all the lovely ladies behind such amazing blogs is awesome. Also, some amazing reads to add to your reading pile.

Thanks for letting me be apart of this. I had such fun!

LoriStrongin said...

All excellent choices!!! Definitely on board with Anna Dressed in Blood and Mara Dyer--those two are definitely in my top 5. And yessss, read the Iron Fey books--they're amazing! Also loved Divergent, so read that one ASAP, too!

Here's hoping your 2012 is filled with even more awesome reads!


Asheley (@BookwormAsheley) said...


Happy New Year!!

I can't wait to read what you have for me in 2012! Bring it, girlie!!


Sharon ObsessionwithBooks said...

A great list Evie! there are a few on there I need to add to my TBR pile :)

Happy New Year!

Melissa said...

Great list -- and guest lists too! I can't wait to hear what you think about Delirium; it would top my list of best books of 2011 for sure!

Trish (Just a YA Girl) said...

Happy New Year! This was absolutely amazing. I love how you included other bloggers. It just made the posts that much cooler. Also, your new layout! Wow! :)

♥ Trish
Just a YA Girl

Amy said...

Awesome post. I have most of the books that everyone listed. (I haven't read all of them yet though)I loved Shatter Me, Unearthly, Divergent, Clockwork Prince, Half-Blood, and Obsidian. Well more than that, but I don't want to go on and on in your comments. Thanks for the great post.

Kana Tyler said...

I'm happy to pass along to you the "Kreativ Blogger" Award--details at
Cheers! :) Kana

Tamara Rose Blodgett said...

Thanks for choosing The Pearl Savage as one of your Top 10, Evie! I'm SO honored=)

Giselle said...

HOw did I miss this!? AAAAH! Awesome post! I'm going to tweet it! :D I love seeing all the bloggers most of these I've been following for a while. And Anna was awesome! :D

LittleRedReads said...

I absolutely love this! Thank you so much for letting me be a part of it! It was such a neat idea to include other bloggers!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...