HQ: Hank Quense
E: Welcome to Bookish Hank! Please tell us a little bit about yourself.
HQ: Here is part of my "Official Bio Blurb"
Award-winning author Hank Quense lives in Bergenfield, NJ with his wife Pat. They have two daughters and five grandchildren. He writes humorous fantasy and scifi stories. On occasion, he also writes an article on fiction writing or book marketing but says that writing nonfiction is like work while writing fiction is fun. He refuses to write serious genre fiction saying there is enough of that on the front page of any daily newspaper and on the evening TV news.
I've written a number of fiction books and one nonfiction, Build a Better Story, an ebook of fiction writing advice. You can find out more on these books on my website: http://hankquense.com and at http://www.squidoo.com/author-hank-quenses-squidoo
E: Who or what inspired you to write Zaftan Entrepreneurs?
HQ: I've written a lot of stories that take place in the mythical country of Gundarland. All of these stories take place in a medieval setting. One day I was noodling around with the idea of changing things by using a more modern setting and I settled on the early Industrial Revolution, i.e. telegraph, steam engine etc. Before I knew it, there was an alien space ship orbiting the planet.
E: Which of the diverse races featured in your book is your favorite one?
HQ: The Zaftans. I love these aliens! I can (and do) make them as politically incorrect as possible and it comes off as humor and satire. No one is offended. I couldn't do that with human characters without getting someone angry.
E: Are any of your characters or scenes based on people/events in your own life?
HQ: The politicians and corporate executive used in the book are composites of many that I have observed and read about over the years. They are the models I used to write the political and corporate satire in this book.
E: What’s next in line for you, are you working on a new book now?
HQ: I have two novels I'm currently working on. One is called Zaftan Miscreant and it's Book 2 of the Zaftan trilogy. The second is Shakespeare's worst nightmare. I've taken Hamlet, Othello and Falstaff, turned them into fantasy creatures in Gundarland and changed his tragic plots into comedy. Both should be available within a year.
E: What genres do you like to read in your free time?
HQ: Fantasy, scifi, historical fiction and history (the real stuff)
E: Which of your favorite books would you recommend everybody to read?
HQ: Catch-22, the greatest piece of satire I've ever read. LOTR is another favorite and so is Hitchhikers Guide by Douglas Adams. I've read each of these at least six times.
E: Do you have any role models?
E: If you could have a dinner with three people/characters (real, imaginary, famous or not, even dead!) who would you choose?
* Eleanor of Aquitaine, at different times in her life she was Queen of France and Queen of England, not an easy thing to accomplish
* Gongeblazn, a zaftan naval commodore in my next zaftan novel
* Harold, the Saxon King of England in 1066 and the loser at the Battle of Hastings
E: What are your biggest pet peeves?
* Politicians who, because they managed to win an election by spending more money than their opponent, claim they have a mandate from the people to make massive changes based on their own biased agenda
* The outrageous, never-ending greed of religions (why does a Supreme Being need money or treasure?)
* Social injustice
E: Tell us five random facts about yourself.
* I'm really, really old (I was born in the middle part of the last century)
* I'm an independent voter: I make up my own mind on issues and candidates w/o listening to soundbites.
* Besides writing fiction, I'm the founder, CEO and reporter (under a dozen pseudonyms) for Faux News Network. Its mission is to provide an alternative opinion on modern issues. It's available from only two online sites: my blog which has other material as well and Squidoo which has only FNN reports
* I have a great wife, two great daughters and five wonderful grandkids.
* The way my books are currently selling, I project I'll break even in 65 years or so. After that, I'll be laughing all the way to the bank
- white or dark chocolate?Why choose?
- coffee or tea? coffee
- favorite fictional character? Inspector Clouseau
- favorite movie? The Pink Panther series
- favorite song?Sing, Sing, Sing by Benny Goodman (The 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert version), Beethoven's 9th Symphony, Verdi's Requiem
- favorite TV show? NY Giants football games
- Science Fiction or Fantasy?both
- printed copy or eBook? Either one (I have an iPad)
Hank, thank you so much for joining us today!
I'm looking forward to reading and reviewing your next book!
I hope you guys enjoyed the interview, for more information about Hank and his book, please visit his website: Hank Quense or/and read my review of Zaftan Entrepreneurs.
If you're wondering where to get Zaftan Entrepreneurs, here are the links:
And now, for the GIVEAWAY!!!
Hank generously provided us with two e-book copies of his wonderful book, Zaftan Entrepreneurs! It's a MUST READ!!!
Giveaway ends on Wednesday, May 11th and it's open Internationally!
All you have to do to Enter is be a GFC follower of my blog and fill out the form below.
SIMPLE AS THAT!!!
The winner will be picked with Random.org and emailed by Hank.
Thanks Hank! And good luck everyone :)