Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday (#1)

So this week I found this new Meme, which is very interesting and cute, so I decided to participate :) I love it, because we get to learn a lot about each other! Isn't it cool? Let me know your answers by leaving a linky in a comment! :)

This week's Top Ten Tuesday is your top ten bookish pet peeves.  

1) I hate when people spill/smudge something on the library book pages. I get that this is not your book, but you could show a little bit of respect for the publication anyway and not eat/drink over it or take it to the bath with you.
2) Bending the pages of the book is not very nice either. How hard is it to use a bookmark? 
3) I don't like copy-cats. After "Twilight" we seem to have a huge flow of "happy, shiny, flowery" vampire novels.. whatever happened to dark and scary vampires??
4) I really don't like whiny and weak characters and don't see any point in making such a character a lead one. 
5) I get seriously irritated when people say "books are boring" or "I don't like books".. How can you not find even just a single novel that you would find interesting? 
6) I don't respect people writing reviews with only one purpose in mind : getting free books for reviewing. That's very low. That's like a book pr0stitution or something!
7) I'm sorry to admit this, but I am not a huge fan of ebooks. I am a traditionalist, I gotta hold the real thing in my hands to fully enjoy reading.
8) I hate that I am a slow reader.. ugh!! 
9) I'm mildly annoyed at the fact that people (including me) tend to judge the book by it's cover. It rarely works.
10) One last thing - not being able to have a printed version of a book that I really enjoyed, but was published only in an electronic version. That sucks too!

can I add one more??
11) Seeing all these reviews of ARC copies makes me depressed sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I love to learn about books that are about to be published, it's a great advantage! But then when I write a review of a book that was published, say, 2-3 years ago, I feel like some sort of book-reviewing-dinosaur. Do you ever feel this way? I mean, there are so many great books out there, why focus on the ARC only?

Ok, I am dying to see your Top Ten bookish pet peeves :)


llevinso said...

Don't feel like a book-reviewing dinosaur! I review mostly classics but if people like the books and like your reviews then it's all worth it. People are still reading these books and need fresh reviews for today's audience. That's how I see it :)

But I'm totally with you on the destruction of borrowed books. I borrow from the library all the time. Yet I always use a bookmark and never spill anything on the book. It's easy! Stop treating books like crap!

booknympho said...

Haha, I loved reading your list! I agree with whiny characters (it's on my list too) and I doubt I'll ever understand people who think books are boring. Chances are they haven't even tried to find a book they'd like. And book prostitution! LOL What a funny way of putting it! :) I also feel like a book dinosaur sometimes because I just recently started my blog and I also don't read books until years after they were super popular but I blog for myself so it doesn't really bother me.

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I feel like a book-reviewing dinosaur as well! I totally understand, but I have to remind myself about why I started blogging and who I am as a reader.

I don't look for new releases to read. I just want to read good books. So I blog about the books I read for readers who are like me. I hope it is enough.

Vy said...

Really good list. I actually didn't know about ARCs until after I began blogging haha I feel lame. But I also agree that comparing it to book prostitution is clever and hilarious!

Lu said...

I love your list! I agree with all of the points you made. Dog earred pages, and eating while reading a library book made my list too.
Your book prostitution comment made me laugh! Thanks for the chuckle!

Amused said...

What a fabulous list! I totally agree that I don't like it when people say "I hate to read". It means, you just haven't found the right book yet! I also am a dyed in the wool paper book reader, not ebook reader!

Read.Breathe.Relax. said...

I totally understand where you're coming from on feeling like a "dinosaur." ARC's are ridiculously popular and are hard to keep up with.

It almost feels like those other, older books are being neglected. :/

I also hate food-covered books! Gross! Plus, I really do judge books by their cover because of my my pet peeves is ugly book covers. :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...