Sign up for our 2016 TBR Pile Reading Challenge and tackle your ever growing pile of books!

Friday, October 22, 2010

Blockade Billy - Stephen King (25/50)

Genre:                Sport Fiction, Suspense Fiction
Year:                  2010 (April 20th)
Pages:                120

Description:

Blockade Billy is a 2010 novella by Stephen King. It tells the story of William "Blockade Billy" Blakely, a fictional catcher who briefly played for the New Jersey Titans during the 1957 season. It took King two weeks to write it.
Stephen King had the following to say about the novella:
I love old-school baseball, and I also love the way people who've spent a lifetime in the game talk about the game. I tried to combine those things in a story of suspense. People have asked me for years when I was going to write a baseball story. Ask no more; this is it.

Quotes:

“There’s something not quite right about that boy.”

My Thoughts: 
It was a very fast read, as the book only has 120 pages (hardcover edition), so I managed to finished the whole thing in just about 2-3 hours, while sitting inChapters (which saved me the money if I were to buy it or time I would have to wait for it, if I decided to put a hold on it in the library). It was definitely very interesting and refreshing. It's hard to write an objective review of this book, since I am a HUGE Stephen King fan(atic) and I just love love love everything this man writes. I am not a baseball fan, I've never even watched a single baseball game in my life, so I didn't read it for the sport. I read it for Stephen King's writing style and wittiness - and I wasn't disappointed. 
Stephen King wrote this book in only 2 weeks, so don't expect anything like "Under the Dome" or "It", it's a short story, but it has a kick to it and every SK fan should enjoy it. I did!
"Blockade Billy" comes with a bonus - a short story called "Morality". It is in a way similar to "The Box" (movie with Cameron Diaz), as it tells a story of "what would you do if someone offered to pay you for hurting someone", but it is not as drastic (doesn't involve killing anyone) and focuses more on the afterward effects of your decision. I enjoyed it a lot!


My Rating: 

 

8 comments:

Ashley said...

I've been seeing this book pop up everywhere! I haven't read anything by Stephen King but I have watched several of his story-inspired movies. It sounds like an interesting book. Nice review-thank you!

Danah said...

Same here. I haven't read anything by Stephen King (Shame on me.. I know. XD) either. But yeah, i've seen some movie adaptations of his books. Like, Creepshow, 1408, Cujo, Dreamcatcher, etc. Thanks for reviewing this one though.

Janinay said...

Hmmm. Not a horror novel. That's interesting.

Krystal said...

A baseball novella written in two weeks...by Stephen King.
I HAVE TO READ IT! =D
That it's focused on the effects of decisions just makes it more intriguing.

aurora M. said...

Sports? Not my thing but with all his books I am sure this one has an audience. Thanks for the review.

Munnaza said...

I've actually never read a Stephen King novel, and I'm not a fan of sports or sports-related books, but this book still sounds interesting. If I ever run into it, I'll be sure to give it a read!

marybelle said...

I do love Stephen King. I had not heard of this one before. On my reading list.

Karina A. said...

I'm a fan of baseball, more than basketball so I'm really interested when I saw the book cover. I've never read any Stephen King novel so I'l probably read this. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...